+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Playboy Threw Model Off Cliff

MrGosh's Avatar Junior Member

Default Playboy Threw Model Off Cliff

Does it bother you if really sad bad news makes you laugh? I know it's horrible, but this made me spit my vitaminwater on my keyboard little bit.

A British-born jetsetter has been found guilty of hurling his model girlfriend off a cliff at a notorious suicide spot in Australia.

Gordon Wood, 46, faces life in prison after throwing 24-year-old Caroline Byrne to her death in June 1995.

Her body was found "wedged like a spear" at the bottom of the Gap, a 100ft cliff at the entrance to Sydney harbour.

The Sydney court heard that the Australian model could only have landed like that if she was thrown by a strong male.

Police said she was found with no injuries to her legs and torso - unlike other bodies they had recovered from the area.

"I have never had one that was wedged in a crevasse like that. In my mind it was just like a spear," one officer told the court.

"In this instance, it was an amazing thing - the body had gone completely into the crevice."

Defence lawyers said the model was suffering from depression and had thrown herself off.

But prosecutors said Wood knew where Miss Byrne's body was before the police could see it - and knew the body was upside down.

Wood, who was born in Somerset, led a playboy lifestyle, and had bought a £1m chalet in the French Alps.

He later moved to Australia and worked as an aerobics instructor and actor, and was often spotted in the company of beautiful women.

There were claims he was bisexual and had had an affair with a multi-millionaire stockbroker, who later killed himself after being convicted of insider trading.

The jury in the three-month trial heard Wood killed his girlfriend because she knew too much about the affair and the stockbroker's business affairs.

Wood fled to London after the murder, and worked at NatWest bank with a fictitious CV as a financial adviser.

He was arrested at his London flat and extradited to Australia to face the murder charge.

His lawyers said he would be appealing against "the unreasonable verdict".

helcyon's Avatar i am no one

Default Re: Playboy Threw Model Off Cliff

Quote Originally Posted by MrGosh
    Does it bother you if really sad bad news makes you laugh? I know it's horrible, but this made me spit my vitaminwater on my keyboard little bit.
    Ok I know it's monday and my joke-o-meter might be a bit out but tell me... which part of this story made you laugh? I don't see it being funny anywhere but I'm vaguely interested to know why you do.

the subject line of the thread made me laugh, was thinking that it was playboy magazine threw a model off a cliff.

Quote Originally Posted by Mainline_Iodine
    the subject line of the thread made me laugh, was thinking that it was playboy magazine threw a model off a cliff.
    Oh yeah. I can see how that is sort of funny actually although I don't understand why - ah well we don't need to understand everything. As for the story itself - how that fuck, probably assisted by some other cretin, frog-marched Caroline to the edge of that cliff and hoiked her off it trying to make it look like suicide - that is not remotely humorous to me.

DonkeyMoses's Avatar Senior Member

Sometimes it's a reflexive reaction to something that's just so completely fucked up.

"Playboy" got 17 years today which is rather light. Anyway ha fucking ha to him

+ Reply to Thread