+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Resolutions: Appreciating Your Neighborhood

Default Resolutions: Appreciating Your Neighborhood

I think it's unfortunate that one of the down sides of living in pretty much any interesting area or city is that, if you are there long enough, the notion that it just isn't as cool and fun as it used to be is nearly inescapable. It's really difficult not to fall into a bit of a rut when you see...
    Read the full article

Janiac02's Avatar Opera Diva Extraordinaire

Default Re: Resolutions: Appreciating Your Neighborhood

That's true even in cities such as mine where there is "nothing to do"(that is generally accompanied by a whiny voice, for anyone not familiar with the rantings of the non-creative)
    I tire of hearing people complain that they have nothing to do, when they won't get creative, or even do something productive. We have a new museum with a recent "dino discovery" addition, and a civil war museum on the way, countless great places to eat, the University of Wisconsin-Parkside, which hosts some pretty great programs, many of which are free(all of them worth paying for), plenty of shopping, lovely places to get some exercise, or just relax outdoors, and a bar on almost every corner (that puts us in pretty good competition with Milwaukee, the nation's most drunk state), and plenty of pretty decent bands to go see on the weekends. If none of that appeals, Milwaukee and Chicago are both an hour or less away. Can even take the train and spare yourself the traffic.
    I think that completes my ranting for the night

DeviantMommy's Avatar Mac Town down!

Well,I lived in West Palm,FL prettymuch all my life. I hated it because it was the only thing I knew,and it made almost anywhere else seem that much more exotic and exciting because I had never been there.

Well,now that I live in Danville(po-dunk) GA,I can truly appriciate what I formerly overlooked in West Palm because Danville is a dirt speck..atleast West Palm had some kind of scene..here,we have a Chevron.

I guess it's just a great example of the grass is always greener saying huh?
    But what I wouldn't give to just go down to (formerly ridiculed)Respectable's on Clematis and dance my ass off and get tanked and run into all sorts of people I used to know. What was once old hat is now just a distant fantacy.
    (But I'm going to Ultra in Miami in March to see the Cure though,yay! Anyone else coming to that? We should meet up!)

Well,that's my comment,rejoice in my words!

Thistle Harlequin's Avatar Oldschool Member

ooh la la...The Spotlight ;P

LoraLie's Avatar i dont like clothes.

Hicks Louisiana, all we have is a gas station and some churches oh and a school.

So honestly, there really is nothing to do therefore all the kids like to party & get drunk in the woods . . .

I ride my bike
    and look at trees
    and check out the graveyard that is close to my home
    which can be fun
    but after the 500th time, gets a little old.

if you dont have a car, you dont do crap too.

Janiac02's Avatar Opera Diva Extraordinaire

Quote Originally Posted by LoraLie
    Hicks Louisiana, all we have is a gas station and some churches oh and a school.

So honestly, there really is nothing to do therefore all the kids like to party & get drunk in the woods . . .

I ride my bike
    and look at trees
    and check out the graveyard that is close to my home
    which can be fun
    but after the 500th time, gets a little old.

if you dont have a car, you dont do crap too.

oh..yeah that's lame. Further proof that people from Kenosha should quit their bitchin, though. How far away from civilization are you, anyway?

Scar's Avatar Senior Member

I actually realized that same thing recently! I went to South Africa and had such a good time. There was a VERY limited goth scene, so we had to find other ways to entertain ourselves than going to clubs. When I left and came back to SD I realized that if I would jsut enjoy SD on the same level, I'd like it a lot more..... in Cape Town we had a great time going to normal people club's and dancing, going to super nice restaurants and basically spending the whole evening there, having get togethers at people's houses, swimming, going to the beach (gasp). I am going to try and enjoy my own city and LA where I spend the weekends on that same level! There are all sorts of silly ways to stay entertained. You could even get a tourist giude and pick stuff out of there to enjoy.....

anyhow, yeah, Forrest, I agree with ya :-)

PS Here's my dorky 'on the beach with penguins in mo make-up' ppic from Africa

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

Quote Originally Posted by Scar
    I actually realized that same thing recently! I went to South Africa and had such a good time. There was a VERY limited goth scene, so we had to find other ways to entertain ourselves than going to clubs. When I left and came back to SD I realized that if I would jsut enjoy SD on the same level, I'd like it a lot more..... in Cape Town we had a great time going to normal people club's and dancing, going to super nice restaurants and basically spending the whole evening there, having get togethers at people's houses, swimming, going to the beach (gasp). I am going to try and enjoy my own city and LA where I spend the weekends on that same level! There are all sorts of silly ways to stay entertained. You could even get a tourist giude and pick stuff out of there to enjoy.....

anyhow, yeah, Forrest, I agree with ya :-)

PS Here's my dorky 'on the beach with penguins in mo make-up' ppic from Africa

Penguins!!!!

One of my closest friends in 9th grade was with the South African embassy, but I've never been.

Drop me a line when you are doing fun stuff. I'm definitely trying to remember that it is pretty easy to find something interesting to do in LA.

Scar's Avatar Senior Member

Yeah I think you have been down on the LA scene for a while :-( Now that I live in SD it's like a novelty up there. I would definately like to do something soon. I have a little gift 4 u anyhow :-) U guys morning people or evening people these days???

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

Quote Originally Posted by Scar
    Yeah I think you have been down on the LA scene for a while :-( Now that I live in SD it's like a novelty up there. I would definately like to do something soon. I have a little gift 4 u anyhow :-) U guys morning people or evening people these days???
    I've got a convention thingie this week, so who knows what that will do to my schedule, but I'm on a pretty normal lunchtime to afterparty schedule at the moment.

LoraLie's Avatar i dont like clothes.

Quote Originally Posted by Janiac02
    oh..yeah that's lame. Further proof that people from Kenosha should quit their bitchin, though. How far away from civilization are you, anyway?

Eh . . . . . a good 30 minute drive to Leesville which doesnt have TOO much . . . but they have a wal mart. woo hooo
    its leesvilles hottest hang out. Actually I hate on it but Leesville is nice compared to HICKS
    but . . . . uh . . . . my closest neighbor that I am NOT related to is a ten minute bike ride from me
    my closest friend is a ten minute drive heh

yeah, its lonely

the_darkness_calls's Avatar Senior Member

The whole live somewhere for long enough somewhere and it'll get boring seems to be especially true here. I know a lot of people who have lived here for a while and will say "yeah, man, it's so boring and ghetto here". Granted, I've only been in the actual city for not quite a year, but we have soooo much stuff to do. Even just walking around and checking out all the cool little indie shops and such. Besides, it's the largest city in the state, so geesh!
    Then again, in my original hometown and then the city I went to college in were both pretty trashy and there wasn't much to do.

StabErThreeTimes's Avatar Junior Member

I used to believe in the whole "living-in-a-small-town-sucks" deal. As I got older I realized that I could be in the most boring place on the planet but as long as I have good friends with me it won't matter. I sound like some sort of positive thinking counselor, don't I? It's true though. I guess it also helps that I play music with my friends. Maybe it helps to have a hobby you're interested in too. Well my girl lives in a pretty "boring" town. I've visited her and there really isn't much to do without driving about an hour or so. At least we find things to do when I visit.

+ Reply to Thread