+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: dreadlocks

Default dreadlocks

can anyone tell me alittle bit on the difference in using synthetic and real????

things like how long each can stay in for and what kind of up keep on each...

because a few places ive talked to dont do synthetic, however 90$ an hour is really high for me to spend at the moment, however if i did have the money to do it, id like to know what the benifits over syntetic it has... Thanks

morbid_lady's Avatar Senior Member

Default Re: dreadlocks

i've never even heard of synthetic dreadlocks, is it like gettin a weave or extentions?

23*'s Avatar Stranger than fiction
    Ireland With the Leprechauns and the little people.

i think killerkat knows about dreads.

TheDeathKnight's Avatar Senior Member

They both require maintainance, as your hair grows in.

Synth dreads are like a weave, so every 6 months or sometimes sooner,
    you have to get them re-braided into your hair.

But the same thing happens with real dreads.
    They grow out, and you have several inches of normal hair.
    So you have to maintain and dread the new hair growth.

The good thing about real, versus synthetic, is that real dreads
    are not as hard for someone else to do the work on. But for
    synth dreads, you need to have someone who knows how
    to do the braiding correctly. So most people have to pay
    to have it done, and that can add up... But if you can get
    your boyfriend or girlfriend to do it, you will save some $.

And once it is done, you won't have to pay for haircuts,
    and you won't have to mess around in the mirror in the
    morning getting ready...

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

I don't know about fake ones, but the problem with real ones is if you want a different hairstyle later, you're going to half to cut off probbily at least half your hair.

it's trippy to wear them couple first days.... specialy when you are going to sleep, but you'll get used to it in time

Kidthorazine's Avatar hippiepotsmoker

real ones are easier to take care of but they usually end up smelling really bad

Jax's Avatar Stay Down

Ive actually made dreadfalls and wore my own dreads...synthetic of course. Ive become so skilled I can do my own head braiding them in;p

Synthetic dreadfalls are SO much easier to deal with, besides the braiding part. But I have to disagree with the 6 month thing. Usually synthetic dreads only last in your hair about 2 months, three if youre lucky. If you use latex hair glue possibly longer. It all depends on how fast your hair grows. You can take them out whenever youd like, changing up your hairstlye a bit. The problem with it is, you WANT to take them out every few months, as your scalp will get dry and flakey, even if you use spray on shampoo and conditioner. You DONT want to get them wet, as the weight will pull the hair down and cause them to slip.

Are you wanting them braided in your hair or just as a fall to add to your hair when youd like? If youve ever seen barelyevil and go further back, I have dreads that are pink and blue. If you go to my website at www.geocities.com/jaxfetish/jax.html you will see my red and white ones. I prefer synthetic over natural all the way.

killerkat's Avatar Malice?

ok, i had REAL dreads for like 6 years....this is how it breaks down.::::

real dreads are 2 different ways, "natral",and "back combed"

natural dreads can take anywhere from a year to 3 years to even look like dreads.......but never shorter than a year.........and they often look pretty scuzzy........

Back combed dreads: this is where you secttion off your hair and have a freind(preferably) grab a section and hold the end and comb it TOWARDS your head,this can easily take 10-more hours,and HURTS LIKE FUCK, and it will look like a monster is on your head when done........BUT these can form into pretty respectable dreads in a couple months............

both are real dreads just how you want to take the journey......

now ,with even VERY lax maintenince(i nver fucked with mine) fully or almost fully formed dredas will last as long as you want them to last.......i know a girl who's had dreads for 20+years.....

there's a ton of other stuff if you want to know ,or anybody for that matter,about dreads (real ones) .........just PM me if you got any questions.......

ohh, and they don't always smell bad ,it's all how you do it,like mine always smelt like weed,hahaha...........

ohh2, and NEVER buy those "dread kits" they fuck up your hair forever ,i mean reallly fuckin' nasty............

by the way JAX i got a thing for girls with dreads ......hehe......

Damniel's Avatar Senior Member

When my hair is long enough i'm getting dreads, 2 friend of mine are helping me so it's free and they have the experience, i'll have them thinner than normal wich will take more time to be done 'cause i have too much hair and they are going to be thinner... and as killerkat said, it's how you get them done and how u take care of them, i just hope i have the patience to get the length i want...

i REALLY miss my dreads ........

they were really fuckin fat,too.....i had like 15 of them,like 1 1/2''-2"thickand like 2 feet long........they kicked............

BUT my hair is just as long again,i'm realy thinking about it again,but there is things stopping me.......

the way that my freind did dreads was she sectioned her hair off, then her sister rubbed the strands togther with bees wax and then wrapped them up in thread to hold togther, and then after a few days repeated the process a couple times, and then just left them like that for a about a month or two and then took the thread off and they were formed into dreads and stayed that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Morning Glory
    the way that my freind did dreads was she sectioned her hair off, then her sister rubbed the strands togther with bees wax and then wrapped them up in thread to hold togther, and then after a few days repeated the process a couple times, and then just left them like that for a about a month or two and then took the thread off and they were formed into dreads and stayed that way.
    NEVER i repeat NEVER put wax in your hair, i know many people that used the so called "dread waxes" and it fucked up all the shit....

it collects dirst and shit like glue,and your deads feel more like candle sticks than hair, AND it gets all over ALL your cloths and everything,NEVER use that wax shit...

MG, tell your freind to disect one of her dreads, you'll get to watch her puke.........becuse of the wax.............

I kinda doubt that. her hair is really nice, I think that it washes out, that's why you should use organic bees wax not synthetic shit.

I kinda doubt that. her hair is really nice, I think that it washes out, that's why you should use organic bees wax not synthetic shit.

it's hard as fuck to get out and the more you use it the worse it gets....

i'll hunt down a picture of someone who used wax.........

and damn man i had dreads for almost 6 years i've seen this happen, not 100% of the time but almost .....

here is a what a friend said a while ago
    "was just giving my scalp a good washing n when i was wringin out my locks this sticky smelly slime comes out.. its dark in color so i kno some of its wax reminants prom combined with some mild mildew.. i need to kno how to like deep clense my dreads, ive heard of soaking them in hot water helps loosen crap up.. n my new apartment has atub so i can def do that up now."

yea that's that other thing about wax, all the shit i said it picks up,starts mold.....

and that^^^^ was on 2 year old dreads ........

and thats ALL wax...........

well she only put wax in it like three times and then never again. but i'll take your word for it, since this is the only case i've seen of someone doing that, but several people reccomened it.

well she only put wax in it like three times and then never again. but i'll take your word for it, since this is the only case i've seen of someone doing that, but several people reccomened it.
    i have seen it work personally once,and there was still wax there,it's just not a good way to go about doing it.......

like those kids that think they can get "dreads" with super glue.......

so does any one know were i can get synthetic dreds done cheaper then 600... considering my head isnt a "full" head of hair and its 3 feet i want to go...

Damn 3 feet! That will look wicked. An ex of mine had long ass dreads, but it did'nt feel very good on my skin. It was kinda rough.
    She was a wee lass and when she was on the couch with a blanket it looked like there was a heap of rotten rope on a pile of dirty laundry.

Quote Originally Posted by Toe Cutter
    She was a wee lass and when she was on the couch with a blanket it looked like there was a heap of rotten rope on a pile of dirty laundry.

sexy!!......

Quote Originally Posted by killerkat
    sexy!!......
    What's even sexier than that is the stain her hair would leave on the pillow case.
    Mmmmmm... Stains

Nudemuse's Avatar Queen of all Fatassia.

I really want synth dread extensions. I change my mind about my hair way too often to try for real ones. It is so expensive to have it done well though. I'm saving my pennies though. I have tried figuring them out myself and haven't done so well doing that. So I think I'll have to just pay.

a_small_death's Avatar The ugliest dj on earth

Quote Originally Posted by Nudemuse
    I really want synth dread extensions. I change my mind about my hair way too often to try for real ones. It is so expensive to have it done well though. I'm saving my pennies though. I have tried figuring them out myself and haven't done so well doing that. So I think I'll have to just pay.
    How do they do synthetic dreads? Never seen it done before.

Just thought I would chime in. I have had dreads for over ten years now. They are down to my butt. I never did anything to get them, they are all natural. Yes I wash them often and no they don't smell. Patience was key.

I had synth dreads before, and the way it works is that they get synthetic hair, and braid it with your own hair, and then back-comb it, and hit it with hot steam. That causes the synthetic hair to dread. Then in several months, your hair has grown out, so you have to get the dreads tightened. It's not hard to save up for the cost of getting the dreads. It's the constant cost of maintaining them that is a pain in the ass. It takes several hours to re-braid your hair each time.

If any of you really wants some synth dreads, and are not grossed out by using my old ones, I still have the ones I took out. They've been thoroughly cleaned and bagged up. They are dark brown/black, with a wide assortment of colors you can add as accents. I'll sell them to you at a discount...

Nudemuse's Avatar Queen of all Fatassia.

Quote Originally Posted by a_small_death
    How do they do synthetic dreads? Never seen it done before.
    There are tons of methods. At this site there's lots of DIY methods for dreads braids etc. There are also shops that do it.

I've been searching for someone to do it for me. If I can't get it figured out myself.

Death Knight what kind are the ones you have? Double ended or single?

I'll take some pics and send them to you.

PM me your e-mail...

shops around me wany from 600-800... 90-120 an hour putting them in...

I've still got mine to sell.
    You'll still have to find someone to put them in, and someone to do the tightening.
    But it will save you some of the intitial cost...

[/IMG]

here is a try at posting a pic of me..

Quote Originally Posted by pagan
    [IMG]

here is a try at posting a pic of me..

awesome Locks man,mine were about that long...i had alot less though,and alot thicker

i was a nut about having my nice blunt ends too,haha, i don't know i'm wierd.haa

i take you dyed tham after you Knotted up....

man, those bring back memorys,haha, i miss my locks....hair's long enough again,just can't do it again.......yet!!....

Quote Originally Posted by killerkat
    awesome Locks man,mine were about that long...i had alot less though,and alot thicker

i was a nut about having my nice blunt ends too,haha, i don't know i'm wierd.haa

i take you dyed tham after you Knotted up....

man, those bring back memorys,haha, i miss my locks....hair's long enough again,just can't do it again.......yet!!....
    definatly dyed after knotted up. I spent years saying nothing un-natural will ever touch my hair,.. then just changed my mind for a day recently.
    I figure I have the rest of my life to make them thicker, it would be hard to make fat ones skinny though. i like blunt ends to, I have put zero effort or money into my hair at all. (Except from the recent dye job out of boredom where the pics came from)
    My dreads are all natural with no wax or whatever, just time. In time I'll make make them fatter, and make sure the ends are blunt. No hurry here though.

well pift i dreded my hair and i kinda decided if if im going to do dreds now that i have dreds... i just wait for them t grow the lenght i need them

we do dreads at our website (you can see it under my profile) synthetic hair can be used as extrensions or in falls. my avatar is a picture of me in synthetic dread extensions

mine just started dreading up again....

big time this time,like wrist size dreadin' action,i'm pretty happy about it,haha...

+ Reply to Thread