+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Did You Vote Today and Read Those Referendums?

Default Did You Vote Today and Read Those Referendums?

Get your ballot!

Street Address:

Zip Code:
    Read the full article

Default Re: Did You Vote Today and Read Those Referendums?

I've been looking for something like that.

"We don't have detailed local information and ballot/pollplace lookup for the state of Tennessee within the Smart Voter site. We suggest the following resources: "

Oh, poop.

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Alias
    I've been looking for something like that.

"We don't have detailed local information and ballot/pollplace lookup for the state of Tennessee within the Smart Voter site. We suggest the following resources: "

Oh, poop.

For a number of states, they seem to have links to the proper site to get info. For TN, http://www.vote411.org/pollfinder.php?source=pp and http://state.tn.us/sos/election/index.htm seem to have the most info and it is just polling location and candidate names. You'd have to google each candidate and I couldn't find referendums on there. CNN also has a list of the most important races by state at http://www.cnn.com/ELECTION/2008/your.races/index.html but it looks like oddly enough Tennessee doesn't have any super hot button issues as referendums, at least in CNN's mind, although the California list on CNN is pretty effing truncated.

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

Looks like most ballot measures are on http://www.votesmart.org/election_ballot_measures.php although laid out a bit less clearly than the states on Smart Voter. TN may just not have any. I checked CA on there and it seemed to have 'em all, although including everything, not just my local ones.

Oh, no, there were no laws to be voted on in my district, just folks. I wanted to check it as a site to bookmark for the future.

One Eyed Cat's Avatar Senior Member

I voted for the Presidency and 3 referendum items. Passed on everything else. I suppose I could have written in my cats. I think it's insane they vote in the entire judiciary here. No info on the candidates is readily available. You'd basically have to find case citations or rely on the vague rhetoric of the challenger. Would have been wrong to vote for any of them.

OEC

PS: If 8 passes, I'm gonna be really pissed.

Quote Originally Posted by One Eyed Cat
    I think it's insane they vote in the entire judiciary here. No info on the candidates is readily available. You'd basically have to find case citations or rely on the vague rhetoric of the challenger. Would have been wrong to vote for any of them.
    After meeting one of the candidates on the street for a state rep. seat, and having to gently cajole her for 3 min. before she'd admit that she was a republican't candidate, I have decided to make an effort to become knowledgeable about all local and state races so that I'm not caught with my pants down around these issues again.

Something that is cool about New York state is that we are allowed to vote for candidates running under multiple parties. So I was able to vote for Obammy for instance, but under the "workings families" party rather than the democratic one.

Our votes count for alot more on the local, and state levels so I am determined to not waste mine through ignorance again.

One Eyed Cat's Avatar Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Friendly
    After meeting one of the candidates on the street for a state rep. seat, and having to gently cajole her for 3 min. before she'd admit that she was a republican't candidate, I have decided to make an effort to become knowledgeable about all local and state races so that I'm not caught with my pants down around these issues again.

Something that is cool about New York state is that we are allowed to vote for candidates running under multiple parties. So I was able to vote for Obammy for instance, but under the "workings families" party rather than the democratic one.

Our votes count for alot more on the local, and state levels so I am determined to not waste mine through ignorance again.
    I don't think it would be possible to have adequate information on judicial nominees. Have always had misgivings about the judiciary as an elected office. In terms of local offices, they were all major party candidates. Pass. Did vote on the local referenda, however. I'm just glad it's over.

OEC

I have family/friends of family in the judiciary, so I can get some tips on how to look up the necessary info. Although I'm not in law, I know plenty of lawyers, and know how to make 'em talk. (Hint:booze)

It's all a matter of leveraging information, and social networks. *shrug* I was born into an intensely political family.

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

wow, the US sure goes all out with these election things...................

a_small_death's Avatar The ugliest dj on earth

Well I am now watching McCain's concession speech. He looks very pissed trying to say his words. I think this warrents a huge beer.

+ Reply to Thread