+ Reply to Thread

Thread: should politicians be forced to see how the other half lives?

and your little dog too

Default should politicians be forced to see how the other half lives?

from yahoo

Politicians slum it on "Vile Brother" Thu Aug 25,11:21 AM ET

MEXICO CITY (Reuters) - Four Mexican politicians completed a three-night stay in a spider- and scorpion-infested shack on Wednesday as part of a campaign to raise awareness about poverty dubbed "Vile Brother."

In contrast to the typical house on the reality television show "Big Brother," the shack was made of sticks, tin and plastic sacks, lacked a sewage system and had a dirt floor.

The group tore down the shack as they left, after buying a new concrete house for the seven-member family that had lived there, Mexican television news reported.

The family lived in the cramped shelter, located in the central Mexican state of Aguascalientes, for five years, struggling to survive on $12 a day by selling doughnuts and washing buses.

"I'd just warn them to be careful of the animals. There are snakes, scorpions and spiders in here," said Ursula Martinez, who used to live in the house, when the campaign started on Sunday.

The campaign by the politicians, all from Aguascalientes, was not a reality TV show. But it has been featured on television news programs throughout the week.

Just as in the show, the politicians, who have been joined by a trade union leader and a radio personality, had to complete various tasks, sell food on the streets like the family and survive off the income.

Some of the participants called for one houseguest, a legislator from Mexico's ruling PAN party, to be evicted for not completing the tasks assigned to him.

"Vile Brother" was thought up by a popular Aguascalientes radio host angry that the state government builds houses for the poor that measure just 30 square meters (320 square feet).

He challenged the politicians to survive for a week in the same conditions as many of their constituents.

"We knew that poverty existed, but not like this," trade union leader Alfredo Gonzalez, who joined the politicians in the house, told Mexican television.

Mexico has the highest living costs in Latin America, but more than half of its 105 million residents live on less than $10 a day.

Umbilical Lotus's Avatar Pregnant with Atrocities

Default Re: should politicians be forced to see how the other half lives?

That'd be pretty cool.

Except no politician but one who's already at least marginally okay would ever do it up here.

Camby Savelle's Avatar Stars shaped like hearts

I wish I could watch that.

ladybug's Avatar Senior Member

that would be a grand idea.....one problem it'd be so far fetched and t.v. edited it wouldn't make a damn bit of diffrence here in the states. If there was any way to make it for real I'm all for it

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

well it could be a nice idea if they went for it. I wouldn't force anyone to do anything, cuz that wouldn't accomplish anything or open anyone's mind, it would just make them resentful of the people in poverty for subjecting them to it. I'd rather see that money spent on actually helping the people who live in those shitty conditions then making a show to reduce other people to having to live like that.

but yeah I think that a national leader should at least visit those parts and see how it is. I think that our president doesn't have a clue what life is like for a lot of people in this country.

so true MG, I think Bush should get out and live a regular 9-5 job for a week, and only have that money to use for living expenses.. and be sure its time to pay rent, electric, and other utilities at the first of the month so He can see what it is like to live on what is basically minimum wage with a family of at least three kids and wife. dont forget to get food for them to eat either

+ Reply to Thread