+ Reply to Thread

Thread: FTC Fines Xanga $1 Million For Not Making Kids Lie Twice

Scott's Avatar Senior Member

Default FTC Fines Xanga $1 Million For Not Making Kids Lie Twice

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14718350/

Basically Xanga.com had a box to check when signing up to affirm you were over the age of 13. But, kids could list their birthdate as their real age, and it would still let them in if they checked the box.

The law is pretty clear that children can only completely lie to get into your site and if you allow kids to half-lie. Then you WILL pay the penalties.

Ugh, such a stupid law.
    It is completely impossible to enforce.
    Granted, Xanga probably should have done more and fixed the problem early on.. but it doesn't matter.. kids will still sign up with a fake age.. just like they do on ******* now.

LoraLie's Avatar i dont like clothes.

Default Re: FTC Fines Xanga $1 Million For Not Making Kids Lie Twice

*sigh* stupid stupid

i miss me some xanga : /

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

ok, so old post. kids are going to go online. that's a fact. deal with it. I think that a kid is much safer presenting themselves as a kid, no matter what anyone says. that's all BS anyway, im sick of hearing about this Internet predator crap. I didn't see a massive moral campaign trying to stop kids from going to church, where they are a hell of a lot more likely to be molested than at home through the computer. my my how that got swept under the rug. Actually I'm lying, the kid is most likely to be the victim of a sexual predator while they are at home because the leading group of child sexual abusers are thier parents. This is just typical shock/scare media tactics that is of course so far off the mark that it's absurd.

Bondage Clown's Avatar Butter up da Goat

Morons

LoraLie's Avatar i dont like clothes.

Quote Originally Posted by Morning Glory
    ok, so old post. kids are going to go online. that's a fact. deal with it. I think that a kid is much safer presenting themselves as a kid, no matter what anyone says. that's all BS anyway, im sick of hearing about this Internet predator crap. I didn't see a massive moral campaign trying to stop kids from going to church, where they are a hell of a lot more likely to be molested than at home through the computer. my my how that got swept under the rug. Actually I'm lying, the kid is most likely to be the victim of a sexual predator while they are at home because the leading group of child sexual abusers are thier parents. This is just typical shock/scare media tactics that is of course so far off the mark that it's absurd.
    HERE HERE!

i'm so sick of hearing from kids how their parents dont want them putting up a picture of themselves on the internet or having an xanga, etc. all because predators. but then they will let their kids go whereever they please . . . & hang out with . . . strangers. they are also some of the crapiest parents around . . . . . . . its just funny to me. abusive, alchoholic parents protective their babies from the big bad internet.

+ Reply to Thread