View Poll Results: DO YOU READ OTHER PEOPLE'S E-MAILS??

Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll
  • Never ever ever ever.......

16 40.00%
  • ...just once I swear!!!

3 7.50%
  • Only to see if (s)he was cheating on me!!!

4 10.00%
  • A few times... I couldn't resist the temptation!!!!

12 30.00%
  • Religiously. It's fascinating!!!

5 12.50%
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Reading Other People's E-mails.....

Scar's Avatar Senior Member

Default Reading Other People's E-mails.....

Do you snoop around in other people's inboxes?????

It is very rude!

It is a violation of privacy!

IMAGINE if someone did that to YOU!?!?!??!

PS. I left the poll private so there's no need to lie!!!

CINDER's Avatar Member

Default Re: Reading Other People's E-mails.....

Never ever ever ever!! i think it's is very rude and ashamed!! it would need to have of the surer and protected email's!!

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

I think it is rude and obnoxious and, not counting general business contact emails I want specific others to go through, I would be really annoyed if someone went through my personal email, even though I almost never get anything super personal via email.

Although I do find it entertaining to post from other people's logins and instant messengers if they leave themselves logged in, not in a serious way, only where it is pretty obvious I am not them or they are not me.

My sense of privacy gets much stronger when snooping moves to the real world. I would feel really violated if someone went through my personal papers or even pressed me too hard to divulge something personal I didn't feel like sharing.

nope ,thats not my thing ,,,,, i like peekin in windows

Mindgames's Avatar A guy who makes girls

Course, all your emails are being scanned by the NSA and probably the occasional random engineer at your ISP, so is it more the idea of email "being read" or the idea that you know the person involved? If Amelia emails Scar the text will flow through a handful of servers, any one of which might be running on terminal for legitimate reasons, and if you use the right combination of keywords a bored petty officer at Fort Mead has to read it.

I've got lots of addresses and keep the personal stuff on encryption, but the public stuff often goes via other people (publicists, etc.) and I don't care if they impersonate me so long as I know they're doing it right. Snooping about for the sake of it isn't too honorable but you have to accept that email, especially email connected to your job, isn't as private as you'd expect.

Kidthorazine's Avatar hippiepotsmoker

Quote Originally Posted by Mindgames
    Course, all your emails are being scanned by the NSA and probably the occasional random engineer at your ISP, so is it more the idea of email "being read" or the idea that you know the person involved? If Amelia emails Scar the text will flow through a handful of servers, any one of which might be running on terminal for legitimate reasons, and if you use the right combination of keywords a bored petty officer at Fort Mead has to read it.
    Thats why I encrypt anything remotely private with PGP

No I don't read other peoples e-mails, never had the chance too, never would if I did. The only time I've come close is when I've been sent something that was meant for someone else.

shiki's Avatar nappy headed ho

im nosey as hell. i also will violate your diary, private journal and peek in your medicine cabinets.

One Eyed Cat's Avatar Senior Member

Me and my friends love to toy with each on our comps. I'd never do this though. It's just kind of silly. The context I usually hear of this happening in is: Johnny is emailing naughty stuff to Janie when he's supposed to love Suzy. I'd say all three need an enema. I assume nothing I write on the comp is truly private. I just don't take myself or "the man" seriously enough to give a shit.

OEC

Xochitl's Avatar Senior Member

Since I have had people in the past invade my privacy by reading my journal & then try to ruin my life. No, & people who do that are giant fuckers! Generally they find out things about the person that upsets them & the deserve to be upset. If you don't trust someone then maybe you should distance yourself from them.

Bedlamite

I did once, when I was in an ever spiraling downward relationship. He did that lying and being mean then pulling me close bull, and I got a little crazy. I read his emails to see what he was upto, and found out.

Ever since then, I haven't read emails, cause frankly, I don't want to know.

grebo's Avatar Senior Member

i use internet cafes, alot of people dont log off after checking their emails
    i have a look for photos, only ever found a naked pic one once

HempKnight's Avatar Large Member

It's nothing I would condone, but I have
    done it once and it was an absolute
    necessary evil as the girlfriend at the
    time had hatched a plan to personally
    and professionally bankrupt me as well
    as was fucking the ex-roommate that
    we both had been fucking previous to
    moving out on our own.

This was also the same girlfriend who
    had bashed my skull in with an iron and
    who I had woke up to her sitting on my
    chest with a loaded handgun pointed
    between my eyes. My fascination with
    the medicated-type of crazy bitches
    has long subsided after her kind of
    insane.

If for any reason I were to believe I
    was in jeopardy, physically or
    financially as in that situation, I
    think I would do it again but never
    to just snoop for nothing more than
    to be invasive and out of curiosity.

you know the thing is that I don't sneak around when I do my nosy bit and honestly I don't really raid anyones journal unless they are sitting there watching me do it. I wouldn't do it to someone who cared. Like I leave my journals around, I don't give a fuck who reads them. All of my email accounts have the passwords sign in automatically. My kids ******* is always up and I never read his private messages. I would tho say if he ran away or something happened. but I really do peek into medicine cabinets. I can't help myself.

Bondage Clown's Avatar Butter up da Goat

Does having to do it at work count.. because I have like 8 boxes that are community property, and I look at all of it...

Mindgames's Avatar A guy who makes girls

Quote Originally Posted by Bondage Clown
    Does having to do it at work count.. because I have like 8 boxes that are community property, and I look at all of it...
    nahh, you're being a good upstanding citizen, protecting them from all manner of sick and twisted content by forwarding it to yourself.

I take it 'the community' has also said yes to penis enlargment, is more than willing to learn about homeworking opportunities, and has friendly penpal-style exchanges with the ex-sister-in-law of the Nigerian Finance Minister.

If not, tis always worth having those on your contacts list in case they decide to downsize your position.

Weblogger
    Born in London, bred in Yorkshire, laid in Dublin.

None of the answers fit. There was a time when I had to in order to protect something or other which can only remain nameless.

Pull~My~Hair's Avatar makes your life seem good

Quote Originally Posted by shiki
    im nosey as hell. i also will violate your diary, private journal and peek in your medicine cabinets.
    i totally look in medicine cabinets...reading emails..eh, no ones except my baby daddys..but he knows so its okay lol

VoltaireBlue's Avatar just is

never ever ever ever!... i am a huge fan of my own privacy, and therefore respect others the same id like my own respected.

i snoop at my bf's friendster inbox because he gave me access to his account...he knows i know all the friendster accounts of my friends...maybe that's why...my friends entrusted their accounts on me...dunno why...maybe because im online most of the time...

Quote Originally Posted by Pull~My~Hair
    i totally look in medicine cabinets...reading emails..eh, no ones except my baby daddys..but he knows so its okay lol
    I am a nosey bitch for sure...but unless some juicy looking email was up staring me in the face i would just leave well enough alone...I don't even check my own email, nor do i listen to my voice mail...I trust the people in my life so i don't spy, but i am so very curious...I like checking out peoples bookshelves and seeing what they have, digging through their things, but honestly most of the time I have permission and do it right there in front of your face...cept the medicine cabinets, that's my dirty little secret... cept its not much of a secret since I freely admit to my scandalous ways.

Quote Originally Posted by Wickedanima
    I did once, when I was in an ever spiraling downward relationship. He did that lying and being mean then pulling me close bull, and I got a little crazy. I read his emails to see what he was upto, and found out.

Ever since then, I haven't read emails, cause frankly, I don't want to know.
    I understand this sort of thing. I've not been in any relationships I know have been failing because of unfaithfulness but I have nagging doubts. Maybe its cause the people I'm with I always feel don't care as much for me as I do them - a sort of insecurity. I find that snooping just brings out the worst in my character so I've stopped.

The urge is always there however...

fuck that , see you never had the trust in him any how so fuck him ,,,
    and it looks like you should have seen his e mail s.. you need some 1 who repects you the same as you look and respect them ,,GL with that ,

been rthere ,so fuck that

kellie's Avatar Senior Member

Last week I had to change all my email passwords, since SOMEONE decided to go and read every single one of them...
    Talk about a week long fight.

Quote Originally Posted by kellie
    Last week I had to change all my email passwords, since SOMEONE decided to go and read every single one of them...
    Talk about a week long fight.
    Wasnt me i swear.

Funny the front page says you posted it 26 minutes ago..but the actual post says 19 hours. Heh! Im drunk i dont know what im talking about. Bye hun!

helcyon's Avatar i am no one

When i first saw Scar's topic I thought "yep simple this is a 100% clear cut issue for me... violating other peoples emails is absolutely unethical". Back in mid sept 2001 a now ex girlfriend accessed my yahoo account to check up on me (I'll explain how) while she was away travelling in S. America and impersonated me quite maliciously (emailing old gf's pretending I wanted to get back with them and other nasties). weird times for everyone. I was so agitated I could hardly speak properly or stand still so I never thought I'd do it. But then... some guy in the office left his email open at his desk so we made it look like we'd sent an email to a chick saying "Hi.. would you like to catch up for a coffee some time" or somesuch lame date attempt banter. We didn't actually do it but he thought we had and I tell you his reaction was just as we'd hoped. he went pale and kept sitting down, standing up and turning in circles holding his head saying "no.. no..no..". It was so worth it.

As others have pointed out emails are not remotely private and security is imperfect but you can bear in mind a few things:
    Password reminder hints - well this was my downfall. watch what you use for these security questions. i used "what is your pet's name" and it never occurred to me that anyone else who knew my cat's name is could crack my account. What a genius. Strike 1 you're out (of control of your account)
    Work emails - these are not your property. it is the organisation's email system and they have the right to administer and monitor it as they please. strike 2 you're out (of luck if you try to sue them over this... been tried and failed)
    Watch your big fat mouth buster - in the old days when mail was delivered by pigeons, camels, stage-coaches or runners in togas and sandels (more than 10 or so years ago) people used to write letters (not me) and there was a technique whereby if you wrote a letter you put it under your pillow and sent it after a good sleep. The point was that you should never ever put anything in writing that you might regret as once it falls into the wrong hands you're screwed. The road to hell is paved with those who clicked 'send to entire address book' by accident. Strike 3 you're out (in the cold once your boss gets that email accidentally forwarded to him detailing how you've been insulting/nailing his wife/dog on the carpet he paid for).

Black Spiral Dancer's Avatar RedHead Admirer Supreme!

My wife has asked me to read her mails when she hasn't been in the house and she needed to check her eBay, but that was it.

Jax's Avatar Stay Down

I have no shame. I sure do snoop in my husbands emails. Found quite a few interesting things, that I hinted around and he brought into the open, that actually saved our relationship. I guess we are twisted, we go through each others stuff. But hey, nothing like getting to know the real person. I have nothing to hide, so I dont give a shit if he snoops, Im an open book. Too many people have screwed me over for me to respect privacy.

KilLAtomiK's Avatar Ceci n'est pas une pirate

the way i see it if someone is dumb enough to leave a window open with password and evrything, they deserve to get pwnt. like my lil bros friend who left his ******* page open on my home computer,

sunkarma's Avatar Evil666..reborn

Honestly..I have in the past but only because I dated a guy that was TOTALLY a douche. I suspected a few things and the emails confirmed it. I can't say it was horrible because he lied to begin with- so does that mean he deserved it?

HMMM

c4wolf's Avatar Member

Originally Posted by Mindgames

Thats why I encrypt anything remotely private with PGP

No I don't read other peoples e-mails, never had the chance too, never would if I did. The only time I've come close is when I've been sent something that was meant for someone else.
    too easy to break that(and pretty much all other codes, with the exception of two i know of) point is... if its in writing these days.... it can be broken
    and no i would never break a trust.... some things r better off secert!

Good topic! I'm all about privacy.
    Now my sister, thats another story.
    I'd take scotch tape and put a small amount on my cabinets as a snoop snitcher.
    They never anticipate it.

grebo's Avatar Senior Member

i was recently using a computer in a netcafe and a chat bubble popped up, someone had forgot to sign off, so i chatted pretending to be them in between doing my emails, etc. then i got a message asking if i think they should get tested after "that night". oops, bit too personal there, so i told them to get tested, i said i didnt know if i had anything and its better to be safe than sorry and said i had to go.
    i ignore pop up chat things now
    but i still wonder what their next online chat would be like with one of them denying they told the other to get tested.

TheDeathKnight's Avatar Senior Member

People shouldn't do it, but I understand that if you've dealt with cheaters, it can be hard to trust people. But I really think that most of that kind of behavior is based on the status of the relationship. If things are going great, both people are happy, and everyone is being honest, then no snooping is likely. But if things are fucked up, and you are not trusting the person, then snooping is more likely to happen. But the truth of the matter, is that if things are bad enough in the relationship, that you aren't trusting the other person, then it's time to find a new relationship. Snooping through their shit is not going to make things any better...

Kat's Avatar Member

I occasionally read my boyfriends emails, but only ever with his knowledge and permission. I've read through some of his IM histories, but again, only with permission. I'd never go into someone's personal stuff without permission. The only time I read other people's emails without express permission is at work, because I receive the emails of a person on maternity leave, and I need to open them to see if they're work related or not. If they're not, I simply forward them onto her personal email and delete them, but that's a bit of a different situation to just sneaking around snooping.

Baby_Switchblade's Avatar Candy Perfume Girl

I never do things like that. I like my privacy and so I respect others'.
    A girl friend of mine though, once asked me to sign into her then boyfriend's emails and read some emails he had exchanged with another girl in her class at school to see if I thought they were more than friends and doing stuff behind her back.
    She wasn't game enough to look for herself, so she got me to.
    I did, because she was hysterical and wouldn't shut up. Other than that, I would never ever do it. I felt terrible doing it and quickly shut the window and told her I couldn't continue doing it.

drewblood's Avatar Senior Member

yes when i was younger, there was trust issues (obviously) between me and my gf at the time and I just couldnt trust her based on her words, so I read her email. Found out she was cheating on me when I was in the hosiptal taking care of a terminally ill family member.

fuck her and fuck her privacy.

Baby_Switchblade's Avatar Candy Perfume Girl

Drewblood, that's fucking horrible. I hope she got what she deserved.

+ Reply to Thread