+ Reply to Thread

Thread: So I went to get chinese food...

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Default So I went to get chinese food...

...and I came home with a 40gig iPod and no chinese food.

Anyone else ever find themselves going to get something simple and mundane and walk away spending some serious cash for items they didn't think they'd buy that particular moment in time?

Seems to happen to me a bit too regularly these days...

Weblogger
    Born in London, bred in Yorkshire, laid in Dublin.

Default Re: So I went to get chinese food...

I often make the mistake of going out to buy groceries or similar when I know that there is a fleamarket along the route that I have to follow. This only happens once or twice a year, but always ends up with me making an extra trip to the bank because I've seen something that would look good in my collection and I simply need to have it. One time this was about four hundred Euro in postcards, letters and photographs (with a discount for quantity) which made one stallholder smile for the rest of the day.

purplepixie's Avatar Senior Member

oh god i did that got paid last friday spent it all in the two minutes it took me to turn on the computer stupid ebay stupid ipod grrr have no money for a whole month now!!!

Weblogger

Quote Originally Posted by purplepixie
    oh god i did that got paid last friday spent it all in the two minutes it took me to turn on the computer stupid ebay stupid ipod grrr have no money for a whole month now!!!
    I know how you feel. I just received a whole box full of negatives from a collector in Vienna which came from a postcard manufacturer who is now out of business. Total cost for the negatives that I wish to keep is about 450 Euro. Even so, I've been playing around in eBay again and found myself various postcards, an ashtray, pictures and maps which I have to add to my collection too. One of these days I'm going to have to work out a new budget, and include food in it!

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

What Chinese food restaurant sells iPods?

Kidthorazine's Avatar hippiepotsmoker

am i the only person on this planet who doesnt have a goddamn i-pod (or any other mp3 player for that matter)

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Quote Originally Posted by AmeliaG
    What Chinese food restaurant sells iPods?
    Dunno of any personally but they are conspicuously located near electronics stores around here...

I cut through a locals electronics store on my way to this chinese place...and never really made it out of that store.

Weblogger

Quote Originally Posted by Kidthorazine
    am i the only person on this planet who doesnt have a goddamn i-pod (or any other mp3 player for that matter)
    No.

I heard a rumour that someone in the Congo was still thinking it over.

Oh, all right. I don't have one either.

KilLAtomiK's Avatar Ceci n'est pas une pirate

i once went to a department store to buy something(i still dont remember) and i came out with a bunch of gi-joe action figures

Weblogger

Quote Originally Posted by KilLAtomiK
    i once went to a department store to buy something(i still dont remember) and i came out with a bunch of gi-joe action figures
    Shouldn't this be in the fetish section?

hewhoisagod's Avatar Captain Obvious

I went to cash my check, and right next to the place was my ticketmaster outlet........... so Now I'm seeing Skinny Puppy, KMFDM, and Ministry........not together but that would be cool. I was supposed to buy bookshelves and I got concert tickets.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightingale
    No.

I heard a rumour that someone in the Congo was still thinking it over.

Oh, all right. I don't have one either.
    No, I haven't got one yet either. They won't take my mini-disc as a trade in

why would it be?

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Quote Originally Posted by addictedslinky
    I love the mini-disc...it has a nice look and style to it. Never took off in the states like it did in Japan and Europe but I always saw it as a great lil format. Owned two...one of which I got in July actually...not sure what it's future will be from here on out...but damn I loved that format.

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

I want chinese food. fuck an Ipod. I think that Mps players a retarded. it's like hey you can play mp3's on this and it's on sale for 300 bucks! it's like what's an Mp3? oh, it's a song that you dowload off the internet and then you can play it on your new Ipod! or you can Dling it off the internet on your computer, burn it to a cd for free, and play it on any old fashion cd player. but that would take 30 seconds of my time, so I better spend 300 bucks on an Ipod instead! Brilliant! I heart technology!

Weblogger

Quote Originally Posted by addictedslinky
    I haven't got as far as a mini-disc yet. The fact that I can play cd and dvd on my computer is enough for me.

Weblogger

Quote Originally Posted by KilLAtomiK
    why would it be?
    Some people get off on gi joe, some on barbie. Some people tell jokes, some don't.

Weblogger

Just to turn my poor attempt at a joke into something mildly amusing, I offer this by way of recompense: http://www.weeklyworldnews.com/features/politics/61660. I, of course, believe every single word of it.

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Quote Originally Posted by Morning Glory
    I want chinese food. fuck an Ipod. I think that Mps players a retarded. it's like hey you can play mp3's on this and it's on sale for 300 bucks! it's like what's an Mp3? oh, it's a song that you dowload off the internet and then you can play it on your new Ipod! or you can Dling it off the internet on your computer, burn it to a cd for free, and play it on any old fashion cd player. but that would take 30 seconds of my time, so I better spend 300 bucks on an Ipod instead! Brilliant! I heart technology!
    It's a lifestyle choice really. You COULD do what you described above...and I did just that for quite a few years. You could even go more old school and say Tape based Walkmen get the job done. That's not really the point though. Me I had a nice portable CD player and carried various CD's with me...then burned CD's...then I got a Mini-Disc player cause I hated carrying CD's (Scratching and what not )...and with one mini-disc I could mix and burn to my hearts content...then they got to an era where you could burn up to 5 hours per mini-disc just like CD players started to read MP3's....

But you have to factor in, Quality, form factor, ease of use, and for music junkies like me...SKIPPING...Oh how I hate CD's and MD's for their skipping that occurs as use sets in and moving parts start to get loose and unbalanced. However that's minor for most people...one could very well burn an MP3 CD and play it on a portable CD player.

But if you're a fella like me you listen to music a lot throughout the day and carry hours of it to filter through. MP3's players like the iPod have numerous features I like the main one being navigation. I can navigate my (currently 5 gigs of music and growing) with the same easy as my desktop. Not all that easy to do on an old skool CD player or MD...possible...but nowhere near the ease.

For me my lil iPod means NO more MD's to carry, NO more CD's to burn and carry, and NO SKIPPING!...the average skip protection on a CD and MP3 player is 90 seconds...on an iPod...25 minutes...that's insane.

Plus I get a kick out of carrying Bowie's entire commercially available work in my pocket..

And from an Audiophile standpoint...playback quality is excellent if you take the time to properly encode your music (I prefer the LAME codec)...so to be honest the money paid has already justified itself.

It's a new age of mass music consumption and collection and portability...and it's about fucking time.

Some people get off on gi joe, some on barbie. Some people tell jokes, some don't.
    thas fuckin sick altho i always thought the baroness was prety hot for a cartoon

oh crap now im a sick freak

MistressJennifer's Avatar Senior Member

I don't have an ipod or a cell phone or own a computer. I am at work on the work computer.

My apartment is lit by candlelight, with red velvet and a chandelier, so you feel as if you have gone back in time...

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

for me there's more to a record than just the music, I like the feel of going through my cds and picking out which one I want to play, I like flipping through the booklet, reading the liner notes and enjoying the art work. I don't think I could ever go to all digital. there are many people who love vinyl lp's ( i'm working up an appreciation myself, but my collection is all but bare). are they easy to take care of and practical to use, not even close, nor are they anywhere near modern tech and superior sound quality, but they have an appeal that you just can't find anywhere else, that's why people still love em today.

Zoe_Zoebaboe's Avatar Senior Member

Couple weeks back I had an awful flu, so during one of my nyquil-induced drunken wanderings I went and bought a laptop. Hehe.

+ Reply to Thread