+ Reply to Thread

Thread: A big middle finger to the human race...

Pull~My~Hair's Avatar makes your life seem good

Default A big middle finger to the human race...

I am so pissed and frustrated at the world today. I remember a time when : if someone was walking into a store in front of you they would hold the door for you, now it seems as if people make a point to slam it in your face.
    I remember when everyone was a person, you didn't hold ill will toward people without a reason, now everyone walks their path and tramples over everyone in their way, and kicks them as they walk by.
    When did this happen??
    are there still good people?
    Why do people have to be so selfish and unaware of the world around them?
    People hold so much angst toward people they don't even know..why?
    I make a point to be polite and to treat people with the respect they deserve. But I am beginning to think that noone even deserves respect anymore...i'm turning in to everyone I hate. I don't want my son to grow up like this.....

TheDeathKnight's Avatar Senior Member

Default Re: A big middle finger to the human race...

What you have to do, is switch gears.

Anger is one way to deal with those idiots.
    But the better way is to laugh at them.

Look at how idiotic they are.
    Rushing around, being a jerk, etc...
    They look stupid.

And you can be happy, knowing that they go home, and are angry.
    They get in the car, and they are angry. They have no happiness.
    Their life SUCKS!
    And yours doesn't.

Because you can laugh at those idiots, and maybe even feel
    a little sorry for them...

It will teach your children a valuable lesson on how to
    deal with people, and life, if they can just laugh at the
    stupidity of the world, rather than getting angry about it.

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

I know the feeling. most people are shitheads... but that doesn't mean that all people are shitheads. and if you think that way, as a easy as it is most of the time, then you'll just end up becoming exactly like them and making some other person who's like you feel the way that you used to.

I don't know what happened to the world that made people so preoccupied with bullshit that it doesn't seem relevent to create a bubble of pleasantness around even thier most immediate area. for their own sake, if no one elses...

I always hold the door open for people I see, I always try and say hello to someone if I see them standing alone, or give them a smile when they walk by. It makes my day better to at least pretend that people can act decent to each other, and hopefully it rubs off on some of them.

Don't stop being pleasant because of others. Then the cultural terrorists win.

you are all right, I know...But am I the only one that thinks that the way people act has become less than tolerable?

I totally agree, most especially this time of year people are bastards.

malcolm's Avatar the bored one.

ditto on that. And it also goes into the realm of relationships nowadays too.
    like when i wa sin arizona still, st had a former member form here trying to mack on her knowing I was her boyfriend and he even tryed convincing me into going to iraq so i'd have the money to be with her when i got home......and then there's her douchebag ex who still begs her to come back to him every time he calls.......oh! and i found out over th phone the other day my mom's neighbor who is happily married came over to help her fix the electricity and whipped out his shlong at her.

people just have no respect anymore period.

Umbilical Lotus's Avatar Pregnant with Atrocities

The problem is, rudeness like that has become somewhat normal. If people aren't expected to act decent, they apparently won't. Even worse, kindness often feels like some sort of awkward intrusion into other people's lives - I don't know how many times people have looked at me like an alien when I hold the door or elevator for someone. Hell, even at expressions of outright assholery - guys screaming sexist/racist expletives and beating around their girlfriends on the FUCKING SUBWAY, for example - most people are content to just sort of edge away and quietly disapprove than come out and say "what the fuck is wrong with you?".

The trick is not to let yourself get cowed either by the crowd or your own anxiety. Most people don't even think of being kind in everyday life - it's not a part of our social vocabulary anymore. So fuck that. That is not how to operate.

good point

the only problem with it though is when you do try to intervene and help out-you end up getting it form both sides about how you should mind your own business.

Not really. Most of the time when I try to be nice the worst I get from my kindness victim is just an odd look, but I'm immune to that, as anyone who draws curlicues on her face with eyeliner should be. If they're going to be a dick, fuck them, why should that make me not act on my conscience?

this is one of the things that pissed me off today,
    I went to the DMV (yeah I know, nothing good ever comes out of the dmv) to get tags, I gave the guy my paper work and then he asked me if I was the owner of the car, I said no but my dad is and he said "well it looks like your gonna have to go back to your Daddy and get it right" and then he walked away from the counter....I was shocked that someone can be that incredibly rude and condesending to someone they don't even know...and at WORK none-the-less....and it's been like this all day with people, I smiled at a lady walking by me and she looked at me and said "WHAT??"
    oi!

Quote Originally Posted by Umbilical Lotus
    Not really. Most of the time when I try to be nice the worst I get from my kindness victim is just an odd look, but I'm immune to that, as anyone who draws curlicues on her face with eyeliner should be. If they're going to be a dick, fuck them, why should that make me not act on my conscience?
    no no no no no.....not what i meant. I was reffering to intervening in a spousal dispute.you mentioned something about people yelling at eaCH OTHER on the subway-I was refering to similar incidents I have witnessed of spouses or partners arguing with each other and someone comign to intervene only to be told to mind their own business.

you know whats crazy though? I havent had but maybe one rude encounter since I've been out her ein new york in comparrison to the constant rudeness of arizona.

Ah, I did not know that. The few times I've seen it, the beatee was generally glad to have someone intervene. Maybe it's different there, I don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by Umbilical Lotus
    Ah, I did not know that. The few times I've seen it, the beatee was generally glad to have someone intervene. Maybe it's different there, I don't know.
    shit, thata int nothing. one night i wa swalking home form work when i lived in arizona and there was a couple arguing and fighting in the middle oft he street that had called the cops. sure enough a cop car drove by-lights going and sirens whaling-but that's all he did....
    HE DROVE BY.
    they were signaling him to come over-yelling at him as he passed but all he bothered doing was just drive by and then ANOTHER cop car drove by not even a minute later.

and this wa slike right in fornt of a gun store that they were arguing

Flip's Avatar Tea Drinker

its the other way for me, i hate it when i hold a door open and the other person doesnt say thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Flip
    its the other way for me, i hate it when i hold a door open and the other person doesnt say thank you
    yeah that irks me, and when I let someone go ahead of me in the checkout line and they dont say thank you or anything...

the_darkness_calls's Avatar Senior Member

yeah, people don't say thank you for anything nice you do for them nowadays... bastards. you do really have to pity them, though, that their lives are so important that they can't be bothered to show any gratitude to somebody doing something nice for them. or i do, anyway.

HeadlessBill's Avatar Innocent Bystander

I tend to always get a thank you when I hold a door open for someone and always say 'Thanks!' if someone holds it open for me. Though a roommate of mine got annoyed with me saying females always smiled at me and said 'thank you' when I held doors open for them in college and he always got a look like they thought he was expecting something from them for holding open the door.

sheramil's Avatar Maracite Inreach program

Quote Originally Posted by Pull~My~Hair
    I am so pissed and frustrated at the world today. I remember a time when : if someone was walking into a store in front of you they would hold the door for you, now it seems as if people make a point to slam it in your face.

this sort of thing stopped bothering me around the same time i stopped going outside. i only leave this room when absolutely necessary; aside from that it's just me, my machine, stacks of crumbling paperbacks and about three hundred slowly rotting betamax videotapes.

DARKGYM's Avatar King of the night

Civilization says it's advancing, I say it's regressing. There was a time when people were nicer to others, and childrfen respected their elders, but those days are gone...though not necessarily lost. With everyone trying to "better themselves" (eg. make more money, career, etc.) they have no time for niceties. They are so focused on their one goal they don't really care what they do to others, or how they take advantage of them.

As for kids, raising a well mannered and polite child is definately a daunting task. For every good piece of advice or lesson you teach them there is a hundred negative influences pushed onto them through society and the media.

I'm not saying that people who are polite and curteous to others are extinct but they are becoming increasingly hard to come by. It's good to see most of the members here still retain these characteristics.

Belladonna's Avatar Senior Member

my husband's boss loves him because he's so polite. i thought that was funny. shouldn't you be polite to your boss?
    i was trying really hard to raise my kids right and messed up when one woman on the block kept messing with them because her kid didn't like them anymore. sorry to say i told them to be rude.but it was after months of her crap. the are very polite to most everyone else. they give stuff up so others don't feel left. (you know when there are only 5 suckers and 6 kids.) but they are very rude to me after a sleepover at a friends. i hardly ever let them go anymore because they come back messed up. it sux.

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

why should you be polite to your boss? just because he has some title that is in no way demonstartes that he's more worthy of respect then anyone below him. in every job I had, my boss constantly made me set aside things that were in my intrest to further his own. I think that's a pretty exploitetive relationship, and not one deserving of praise. respect is a two way street. if you don't show any politeness to me, don't expect me to do anything nice for you- which isn't to say that I will go out of my way to be a dick or be one without warrant, but I think I reserve the right to not have to put up with shit.

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

all the nice people worship satan

and there are so few of us left

+ Reply to Thread