+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Bruce Sterling

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Default Bruce Sterling

For fans of Sci-Fi it's a well known name. He's the madd hatter of the genre and for fans of technology in general...an absolute insane wordsmith. His views on technology and it's uses in society are usually quite accurate but through his eyes it's all utter madness.

His work it littered with off beat characters, strange and exotic locals most can never point to on a map, and plots that should by normal reasoning make no sense at all. Yet with all the entertaining aspects of his work both as a columnist and novelist their is an underlying truth to it all that can really uncomfortable after a while.

No matter what view you have of the world and the elements that make it up Sterlings work makes you see it in another way...a kind of way that provokes you while you're laughing at the absurdity of it all.

A good collection of it can be found here.

If you're wondering what book to read or next...look up his work. You'll be in for some unique fun.

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

Default Re: Bruce Sterling

He is a sweetie. I did an interview with him for Blue Blood #2 which is probably the single most awful job I ever did on an interview ever. It was so embarrassing that I ended up changing a bunch of the content of that issue and never ran it and he has still always been super nice to me and supportive of Blue Blood.

I would especially recommend his book of short stories Globalhead. His alternate history of Lester Bangs really spoke to me.

Hula Hoop Supervisor

I've seen him give many interviews and he's always quite lively...now I'm curious about this blue blood interview.

That's right- he did Schmismatrix (sp?) and a read a collection of short stories..just recall the one 'Swarm' or 'Hive'-- back in the 90s he and Gibson were considered the two top cyberpunk authors..P.

+ Reply to Thread