+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Just rewatched most of Caddyshack and am thinking about country clubs

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

Default Just rewatched most of Caddyshack and am thinking about country clubs

I was kind of jangled last night and couldn't settle down to go to sleep, but my TiVo had picked up Caddyshack. Damn but that movie has some fine moments. I remember the first time I saw it, I thought the star should have been the hot degenerate guy caddy and not the two-timing blond with weird teeth. My but movie dentristry has improved since 1980.

A lot of movies in the 80's featured country clubs. Are there fewer country clubs now than then? How would one research this?

Default Re: Just rewatched most of Caddyshack and am thinking about country clubs

There are many ways to do that. You could check the foundings and history of clubs in an area, examine the economy, and infinite other possible ways to go about gathering that info.

My opinion on that is that there are more country clubs when the economy does better in a certain way, or product, and the reverse is also true.

Also, there were certain themes to the 80's as well, and country clubs happened to be a major theme for movies, especially with Rodney Dangerfield, and other certain celebrities who prefered that for aesthetics.

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Default Re: Just rewatched most of Caddyshack and am thinking about country clubs

They are still around...they are just more reclusive and elitest than before. Some make sure they only accept people from a certain ethnicity or race. Others still practice age old class and race descrimination.

To skirt the legal ramifications of this they push the Private Club angle MUCH more than ever. The idea is if you're from the right social background you will know how to find and join them...you won't find most of the listed or advertised ANYWHERE. The more public and accepting ones can be found easily though.

Will Judy's Avatar Senior Member

The club where they have the Booz-Allen golf classic still bars Jews and Non-whites. It's a 20-minute drive from the White House os a sunday.

The Gopher was one of the best Characters. Bill Murry was also cool there.Disgusting, but funny and cool.

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

Quote Originally Posted by Will Judy
    The club where they have the Booz-Allen golf classic still bars Jews and Non-whites. It's a 20-minute drive from the White House os a sunday.
    Do they make exceptions during tournament play?

Will Judy's Avatar Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by AmeliaG
    Do they make exceptions during tournament play?
    Oooh, I have to retract: The Booz-Allen is at Avenel this year, and I don't know if they "restrict". But it's back at Congressional Country Club next year. You can play in tournaments there if you're non-Aryan, but you can't join.

+ Reply to Thread