+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Do you have a will?

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

Default Do you have a will?

When I turned eighteen, my parents mailed me a copy of their will because they had changed me to being executor (I think) and sibling guardian (I know). I never opened the envelope, so I can't say for sure. I was too horrified at the idea of my parents ever dying and it seemed morbid in a very not cool way. I think they periodically update their wills for who is supposed to manage things and who gets what in what order and I know they put in a bunch of living will stuff about how my dad in particular never wants to be kept alive with machines. Sometimes they won't let a person make the decision to pull the plug once they are already sick, so he wanted to make sure nobody would plug him in in the first place for anything major.

Do you have a will? If so, what stuff was important enough to you to motivate you to put it in there in writing (i.e. kid turning a certain age, concerns about medical treatment because of illness, etc.)? If you do not have a will, why not?

Mindgames's Avatar A guy who makes girls

Default Re: Do you have a will?

Yes, but I've written it like a cryptic crossword. If folks are going to get their mitts on my estate, I intend them to work for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mindgames
    Yes, but I've written it like a cryptic crossword. If folks are going to get their mitts on my estate, I intend them to work for it.

Seriously? That should be a Simpsons episode.

Mindgames's Avatar A guy who makes girls

Yup. My lawyer said there was no rule against a will being hard to understand, providing it was still factually correct (i.e. not leaving the same thing to two people).

Quote Originally Posted by Mindgames
    Yup. My lawyer said there was no rule against a will being hard to understand, providing it was still factually correct (i.e. not leaving the same thing to two people).

That is seriously deeply awesome.

Aza's Avatar Extradimensional Penguin
    My home is everywhere and nowhere. I am the quintessential hobo.

My worldly belongings will be split up upon my death between K and my stepson Matthew.

mystoo's Avatar Pirate Hooker

My mother has been on my ass to make a will for years now.
    No, I don't have one. Maybe I should? Whatever, I'm going to leave my entire estate to my cat.
    Seriously though, I don't really have anything, my books maybe..

VoltaireBlue's Avatar just is

other than my house I don't really have anything of value except my experiences. I haven't written a will because I hadn't thought about it.

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

no will...............I'm still hoping I'll come up with a way to take it with me

and, noone's requested any particular thing yet so no point

keiko's Avatar baker of geekery

I have a kind of un-noterised, not exactly legal piece of notebook paper in my sketchbook that asks that i not end up as an electric vegetable, and divvying up things like my art supplies, books and other important possessions to the people that mean the most to me. (which needs to be updated.)

I know that I was to get custody of my brother if my parents kicked the bucket before he was legal.

~K

Clockwork Jello's Avatar Droog

I don't have one yet. I really should make one. I never really even wanted to think about a will. Just the thought of such things kind of concretes the inevitability of the human condition in my own mind.

aXa's Avatar Senior Member

i dont have one. the main thing i prolly would want to include in it is to pass along my collection of my creative writings - mostly poems but a few pieces of short fiction - to someone who is likely to value them, and hopefully has the motivation to try to get them edited and published. im just not sure if im ever going to get that done myself.

id also like to have something given to my daughter, who i gave up for adoption quite a few years ago now. i have had very little contact with her in recent years; and that was mostly just talking to her adoptive parents. just something to let her know that she was still in my thoughts and that i gave her up because i loved her and wanted her to have the best life that she could.

TheDeathKnight's Avatar Senior Member

Just as an FYI, I dated a girl who worked doing trusts and estates for a bank, and told me that a hand-written will is just as legally binding as a legally created one. One printed on a computer won't do, but if you have nothing at all, a hand-written one that is signed, will actually be looked at by the court, if they are not sure what to do, and will likely follow the instructions...

They also have basic legal ones you can fill out online.

Ajax Knucklebones's Avatar God fearing atheist

Quote Originally Posted by TheDeathKnight
    Just as an FYI, I dated a girl who worked doing trusts and estates for a bank, and told me that a hand-written will is just as legally binding as a legally created one. One printed on a computer won't do, but if you have nothing at all, a hand-written one that is signed, will actually be looked at by the court, if they are not sure what to do, and will likely follow the instructions...

They also have basic legal ones you can fill out online.

This is true, but do yourself a favor and get it notarized. Just so the court doesn't have to prove you are the one who signed it.

And with that....I'm a bad boy. I do not have a will. Basically if I croak, everything goes to my wife. If she dies, it all goes to my son, so I'm not really worried. I have beneficiaries on anything of cash value so nothing really needs to go to probate. I do though really need to make a will stating what happens to my son if both my wife and I die....Who we would like to take care of him.

Ajax Knucklebones's Avatar God fearing atheist

Oh...And no living will either and I really should have one of those. If I become a vegetable, I definietly do NOT want to live. Pull that fuckin' plug.

Quote Originally Posted by Amelia G
    When I turned eighteen, my parents mailed me a copy of their will because they had changed me to being executor (I think) and sibling guardian (I know). I never opened the envelope, so I can't say for sure. I was too horrified at the idea of my parents ever dying and it seemed morbid in a very not cool way. I think they periodically update their wills for who is supposed to manage things and who gets what in what order and I know they put in a bunch of living will stuff about how my dad in particular never wants to be kept alive with machines. Sometimes they won't let a person make the decision to pull the plug once they are already sick, so he wanted to make sure nobody would plug him in in the first place for anything major.

Do you have a will? If so, what stuff was important enough to you to motivate you to put it in there in writing (i.e. kid turning a certain age, concerns about medical treatment because of illness, etc.)? If you do not have a will, why not?
    I own nothing of value so I don't have a will. But when I do need one i want to see if I can legally force someone to drink my ashes after I die. And I really hope there is an afterlife because that would be hilarious to watch.

theDragon_svDragcos's Avatar "Vampyre" / Senior Member
    ...~"No where in paticular"~...I've never had any Regular home ~ I moved around a'Lot.

NO,...I Do not Have one for Myself ~ YET,....

I Haven't much to leave, nor Anyone to leave - Too.......

Other than "FINALE BURIAL" arrangments,..
    theres' little else I need to consider.
    :-|

Never thought of it actually.

I would leave my intellectual property to everyone. Make it free for all to do whatever they want with it if they include me in the credit. So if someone makes a hit out of one of my songs my name will live forever so long as someone listens to it.

theDragon_svDragcos's Avatar "Vampyre" / Senior Member
    ...~"No where in paticular"~...I've never had any Regular home ~ I moved around a'Lot.

I Considerly Thought of maybe
    "BURNING DOWN THE HOUSE"
    and EVERYTHING left within',....

what more could/Would ever really be done with Any of it,...
    HUM?....

I don't have a will.
    This is partly because the pool of people to leave stuff to is rather shallow. Also, rather more to do with the fact that I don't have very much of any intrinsic value.
    Still...I am considering it on the grounds that lately I have noticed a trend regarding healthy eating/fast food, exercise and death in the threads. One might say that they are all rather related and might even go so far as to think someone was giving me a hint to sort out my intake of general rubbish and get my affairs in order.
    If I was paranoid like that.
    Which I'm not.
    Obviously.

LaurenWK's Avatar Senior Member

I don't have a will... at least at this point. I don't have much to be split up and I don't care to give much thought to the possibility of death, right now. I don't have children or anything I'm really responsible for taking care of, other than myself, so I don't really see a need.

ROGIZOID's Avatar The Grey Child

I dont have one, but i want one.
    When i was in nyc visiting family and such my 4 year old cousin wanted me to play with im 24/7.

I could not believe how much stamina he had.
    Boxing fucking forget it.
    My arms got so tired.
    hahaha.

But im pretty good @ bowling :]

+ Reply to Thread