+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Lip-synching Vs Live Acts

CarnalxKiss's Avatar Carnal Love Goddess

Default Lip-synching Vs Live Acts

Recently, there has been alot of hype about artists lip synching in their live shows. I don't know about you but this pisses me off right quick. Think if you spend 50$ + on a ticket to see one of your favs live in concert only to find they are only *live* in body. Do you think this should be allowed, or illegal. Do we boycott these *fakers* or simply black list them next time they come to town? Do we let them fake their way through concerts with pre-recorded music for the sake of a good stage/dance show? I think the quality of some of todays artists live on stage has dimished...where is the raw, rough edges of the old greats on stage, sweating and belting out our favorite songs with strained voices and glazed eyes?...talk about a dose of nostalgia!

One Eyed Cat's Avatar Senior Member

Default Re: Lip-synching Vs Live Acts

Milli Vanilli! Well, Vanilli ain't with us. Milli! haha

OEC

hewhoisagod's Avatar Captain Obvious

I have respect for anyone that goes out there and sings or plays his ass off to crowds of people, regardless if it's 30 people or 30,000 people. Lip synching is not singing. If I was at a show where I found out the idiots are lip synching. Not only would I ask for my money back. I would make sure that everyone else got their money back too. Fuck lip synchers

Same place but I have been just about everywhere inbetween

thankgod the bands I like don't lip sync

TheWalkingGlitch's Avatar Si vis pacem, para bellum

I'm in agreement there... if I wanted to see people lip synching, why would I pay a bunch of money to do it when I can just watch pretty well any movie where "live" music is involved? If I pay to see [insert band here] play, I want to see them play, not pretend to play.

Weblogger
    Born in London, bred in Yorkshire, laid in Dublin.

Lipsync has been going on for so long now, it's almost a requirement for modern singers to be able to mime in order to get on. Of course, they have to know the words of their songs too - which some seem to forget at the wrong moment. I hate lipsync with a passion. If they're gong to be a singer they should sing, live, and with a passion. Trouble is, so many new singers cannot sing and need to technology behind the scenes to improve their voices that they'd probably have no audiences after the first few concerts!

CorporateGoth's Avatar Devout follower of Bob

I personally feel that there is a special lavel of hell reserved for lip synchers..... but as to whether it should be illegal??? I dont think most Brittney Spears type artist fans really care if she's singing. To some people it is all about the dance routines, costumes, etc...
    I went to see Queensryche (Type O opened the show which is why I actually went) about 6/7 yrs ago. I remember about 45 seconds into it realizing that I was listening to a pre recorded vocal track. I was disgusted, turned around and walked out. Later on, I had heard that they had been on an intense touring schedule and Geoff had blown his vocal choards out only 3 days before leaving them the options of cancelling dates only days before or going on and lip synching... I would have still rather gotten the real thing, but I can see some fans being really upset having their show cancelled. BTW... Type O made it worth the hassle, they owned the arena that night!!!!!!

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

at first it outraged me to hear that people like britney and ashely simpson (or is that jessica simpson? I can't tell the differenece.) were lip synching. and then after about two seconds, I realised that I don't care about anything they do, and I wouldn't have heard them singing at all if it wasn't for someone playing a tape about thier lip-synch scandel(s).

Trotter's Avatar Senior Member

I can see where it comes in. Would you want to spend your money on a ticket and then have the lead singer suck the entire night. off pitch, hoarse throat, whatever the case is. I dont think so. If they lipsync and i dont know about it, will i really be that mad? Well if i bought their cd before, probably not. Studios use all sorts of amplifications and modifiers for voices, going through take after take so they can hit the note just right to make them sound as good as possible. Is that any worse? I think its pretty much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Trotter
    I can see where it comes in. Would you want to spend your money on a ticket and then have the lead singer suck the entire night. off pitch, hoarse throat, whatever the case is. I dont think so. If they lipsync and i dont know about it, will i really be that mad? Well if i bought their cd before, probably not. Studios use all sorts of amplifications and modifiers for voices, going through take after take so they can hit the note just right to make them sound as good as possible. Is that any worse? I think its pretty much the same.
    I want to see them be human...imperfect..if I want perfection I will put the cd on...that is the thrill of a live show...to see and hear something you normally wouldnt...isnt it?

I don't think lip syncing in and of itself is evil. Let's be honest, some bands you go to see perform, not sing/play. I do believe thier should be a warning though, just so people know what they are getting into. I can't think of a band I would be ok seeing if they just lip synced. If they can put warning lables on cheeze wiz, I think concert tickets aren't out of the question. But if someone is willing to pay just to see thier star, it's thier money.

DharmaLion's Avatar Devil's Advocate

Quote Originally Posted by Trotter
    If they lipsync and i dont know about it, will i really be that mad?
    Hmmm...

It's definately debatable.

People say they would rather have a truely "live" show, but many folks may not realize what that means...no drum machines, no DAT samples, no voice boxes, no turntables, etc...

There could be cases where I see LS as acceptable. The above quoted statement really says it all....

I dont mind all the xtra froo froo to make a digital song sound good. Hell, some bands if they didint add things in the show couldn't even preform some of their own songs...but..when it comes to vocals...i want them live...strained or not...I think i've been ruined by the acts of old, ie: iggy pop, ramones, christian death, plasmatics..Im an 80's baby..so the synth/pop era i love...even todays neo goth...extra added flair i can enjoy and appreciate...but the key here..is *added*...on and above the live vocals...

DharmaLion's Avatar Devil's Advocate

Quote Originally Posted by CarnalxKiss
    I dont mind all the xtra froo froo to make a digital song sound good. Hell, some bands if they didint add things in the show couldn't even preform some of their own songs...but..when it comes to vocals...i want them live...strained or not...I think i've been ruined by the acts of old, ie: iggy pop, ramones, christian death, plasmatics..Im an 80's baby..so the synth/pop era i love...even todays neo goth...extra added flair i can enjoy and appreciate...but the key here..is *added*...on and above the live vocals...
    I would tend to agree. I am curious however what you would say if you found out after the fact. Say you saw Blondie back in the day and loved the show....then maybe a few weeks later you find out that Debbie was sick with (insert illness here) and could not sing.

Would it have been acceptable for her to have lipsynced her show or should she have cancelled?

+ Reply to Thread