+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Whats is wrong with the world today?

Camby Savelle's Avatar Stars shaped like hearts

Default Whats is wrong with the world today?

This thread is dedicated to those that wish to express their opinion freely(without being lashed back at). to bitch & gripe as you see fit about our present standings of this so called planet.

My first complaint, wich is more out of disgust then anything else. TV. I can't stand how so much of today's socitey has aloud television to defualt into their only source of entertainment & exposure. most people today have no clue what fun is. they are afraid to try anything new or "not of the moment". & I solely blaim this on television. that box that sits in almost every living room, breeding imbeciles by the 30 minute time slot. I also remind that most of it's shows are drawn around the lines of unrealistic fiction. bahumbug. let us not forgett the amount of overweight people chunking around the world today due to an addiction to a screen.

My second complaint is the police system of today. this comes from my own personal experince. there is no longer a line between helping protect the innocent & abusing power without punishment. have you noticed, the law is the most sexist of all prejudice violators? if a man remotely touches a women, he is hauled off to jail. however that same man could have been stabbed & hit with a bat, among other things by the same women & she is free of all fualt. what kind of fairness is that? it must be that same fairness that supported a swat team pulling me & my friend over for supposed wreckless driving. and removing us from the vehicle via gunpoint. and when I say gunpoint, I do not mean a single firearm. I mean an entire swat teams artililery. (equiped with laser site I might add) perhaps I am alone here, but wreckless driving (driving with the headlights out to be specific) has never in my book been a justified reason to use deadly force. let me go into a little more detail. I was almost shot during that incident, why? because I was wearing my seatbelt. I don't know about you but I cannot step out of a car without unfastening my seatbelt. it was only after they had completely searched the car, ran background checks, & performed breathalizer(sp?) tests, that they concluded that they had pulled us over for "wreckless driving." (we were literally doing nothing wrong) now to me that sounds more like harassing the innocent then protecting them. I can carry on with stories among stories where I believe the police have been unjust & in the wrong. I'm sure you can get the idea yourself though.

Default Re: Whats is wrong with the world today?

PLEASE don't hesitate to add your own greivances.

Hula Hoop Supervisor

No offense but your SWAT story makes no sense at all...SWAT teams are only sent into situations where they are needed...not for fun. They also didn't use deadly force since you'd have to be dead for that to appy. Could it be your car was mistaken for one of a fugitive on the loose? Cops make mistakes cause they are human and if you had to deal with the scum of the earth wouldn't that make you less than inclined to see your fellow man in a good light?

An excellent commentary was put together on A TV SHOW about this...basicly saying that the cop mentality has been warped into that of a soldier not a police officer and I gotta agree...I'm not a huge fan of the cops but I know enough of them to see their side of all this too. Hard to choose sides but with everyone wanting hard on crime initiatives and waht not...innocents will be treated just as badly.

As far as blaming TV...that's insanely juvinile...overweight people are not overweight cause of tv...it's a wide spectrum that cause it and sickly skinny people would fall into that same reasoning...TV is a product of the society it entertains so if so many people are losing themselves to it then maybe the question is what do they see in TV that they don't get in daily life? It's no diffrent than people who read all the time, listen to music all the time, party till they blackout every night....it's all about filling some sort of need or desire...

Their is a thin line between entertainment and need these days...none are innocent of it...even if you don't own a tv or rarely watch it the effect it's had on society is there...celebrity worship is far more damaging anyhow...you want to see somethign sick then start there.

Look at women's magazines...they are WAY more evil than TV has ever been. You want unhealthy images, false desires, and mindless bullshit? read a womans mag or the endless sea of gossip and entertainment mags targeted at them. That breeds idiots more than some episode of the top TV show.

my "swat story" as you refered to it occured during Hot August Nights (swat was out all night, aswell as alot of out of state law officials) I left out a minor detail, but it still doesn't change what happened. (yea your right, "deadly force" might not have been the best term to use)

I wasn't saying that TV is at complete fualt of overweight people, but it is guilty as a contributitor & it surely doesn't help the problem any.

I agree about womens magazine's. I just see that more as an optional form of poison. magazines are not presented in the same fashion that TV is. (and alot of what is stated in those magazines is based off of things that happen on TV, or are related to TV in some way.) (looks, stardum, advice on how you can be like ______ movie/tv star)

A computer monitor is a TV and is just as deadly. I've lived on this thing since I was 12 1/2 isn't that sad? I'm surprised my ass hasn't turned into a chair.

Anyway, I get really annoyed with the court system. If a husband and wife divorce the children automatically get put into the mother's care. The father has to pay child support meaning, money, to the mother and there is no tracking as to what it is spent on. Most often than not, it's spent on the mother or drugs or something that has nothing to do with the children and their well being. If the father wants the kids he has to go through a long difficult process of seeing if he is "fit" to live with and has to write down every little detail as to what the money is spent on just to get custody of the children. When in some cases, the father is more fit than the mother.

Foster care, the fact that now days, fostercares are just as dangerous to children as the home they are taken from are. I've been to foster care before and it was horrible. I'm not being whiny like I was away from my mom boohoo, kind of horrible, I mean you are a slave to these people. You have to get on your knees and kiss their feet. I have heard stories of kids getting beat, molested, *****, fed unhealthily in a place the government provides as a safe house for kids? What the hell is that about?

The fact that people are so freaking wasteful. They make all this packaging and stuff that you have to cut through for 1/2 and hour just to get to the product you paid for and it's nothing but trash. This also bothers me.

TheWalkingGlitch's Avatar Si vis pacem, para bellum

Picture, if you will, a classroom. There are ten people in it. Five are paying attention and learning. One is half listening, having taught himself this lesson already, and is just waiting for the teacher to get to the part he isn't sure he understands. One is asleep because the professor's voice makes him sleepy. One is drunk, and sipping from a water bottle spiked with gin. One is stoned out of his mind and sitting in the back corner giggling to himself. One never bothered to show up. Which of these people deserve to be there?

Holy fuck am I ever sick of quotas. Truthfully, it disgusts me. So because the government wants to make itself look like a champion of the minorities, I get cheated out of a job that goes to some guy who is less qualified than I am, will do a worse job than I will, and all because I don't look the same as him. Now don't start putting words in my mouth here--I'm all for equality, and definitely far from being a narrow-minded racist fuck. But that's exactly my problem with what's going on. These people are being treated differently because of the colour of their skin. That's the very definition of racism. Only instead of getting bad things they don't deserve, they get good things they don't deserve, so somehow that makes it all okay.

If a member of minority group Q is best qualified to do the job, then that's wonderful. Give him the position. Fuck, if a dog was the best qualified candidate for a position in a company I was running, I would give the dog the fucking job because it deserves to have it. It's when you get these dumbasses in on government minority quotas that I get pissed off. Instead of hiring Joe the qualified man, we hire Jane the unqualified woman because the government says we don't have enough women in our company. That's why a woman who has her masters in environmental engineering taught computer science at the university I went to. Fucking quotas said that there weren't enough women in the faculty, so we got a fucking idiot in there who couldn't tell a keyboard from her asscrack. And I'm sure she has an intense familiarity with her asscrack, given how firmly her head is planted up said ass.

Picture, if you will, a business with a job opening. Two people apply. One is white, one is black. In scenario one, the black guy is better qualified for the job, but the white guy gets it because the manager is racist. There will be a huge outcry. There will be lawsuits. There will be media coverage. It's expected. In scenario two, the white guy is better qualified, but the black guy gets the job because of government employment quotas. No outcry is allowed here. The white guy is expected to leave quietly and seek employment elsewhere. If he protests, then he becomes a racist. What the fuck is up with that?

More and more you see ethnic groups with special rights. These are the same ones that bitch about inequality, and how they get shafted a lot. Well you can't have it both fucking ways. If you get tax exemptions because you look more tanned than I do, then you can fucking well expect me to resent you for it until the exact second you give them up. Equality means equality. And no, Napoleon, some people are not supposed to be more equal than others. If you give up your special rights and become just like average Joe Proletariat and still get the shaft--and I mean really getting screwed over, and not just thinking you are--then you have a case. Until then, fuck off.

This shit is well and truly out of control. But it really doesn't have to be that complex. If you fuck yourself over, it should be nobody's fault but your own, and you should be responsible for pulling yourself out. We'll toss you down a rope if you need it, but you can fucking well climb it yourself. If you succeed, it should be on your own merits, not because of what you look like. If the man's qualified for the job, hire him (or her, as applicable), and who gives a fuck about his race. If not, tell him to go fuck himself, no matter what he happens to look like. It's just that simple.

...I feel better now.
    Last edited by TheWalkingGlitch; 12-05-2004 at 05:42 PM. Reason: Typos

One Eyed Cat's Avatar Senior Member

The Mass Media disguists me. I would not blame it for obesity, however. I believe the level of political discourse has lessened with the rise of sound bites and perma-news cycles. At the same time, I value the access to information.

OEC

sheramil's Avatar Maracite Inreach program

Quote Originally Posted by Camby Savelle
    PLEASE don't hesitate to add your own greivances.

I'm a spelling and grammar Nazi. Not so much a proper capitalisation Nazi, although I can do that if I really need to.

I hang out a lot in usenet's talk.bizarre, which is, in general, a fairly literate place. But every September, of course, we get a flood of newbies who top-post, quote entire messages then add a single line, and so forth.. still, that's just ignorance of the established etiquette.

Does it make any difference to scream at them "LOOSE and LOSE are not the same thing!", or "ALLOWED and ALOUD aren't either!", or "Jehovah is a DEITY, not a DIETY!", or - oh, what the hell. So-called "correct" spelling didn't exist in the time of Shakespeare; maybe it was a social abberation to begin with.

(the passion rises again) Yet! Most of them are in their mid-twenties and they can't spell even basic words like "society", "blame" or "experience".

mutter mutter GROWL.

too many people. too many stupid people. Anton La Vey was right.

Quote Originally Posted by sheramil
    I'm a spelling and grammar Nazi.
    I am here for you. Even though I have problems explaining things sometimes and occasionally miss something now and then, I try my best to use correct grammar and spelling.

It's NOT that hard. I mean what were you doing in school all those years in English class?

I can understand why some people aren't very good at it. I mean, my boyfriend is dyslexic, so he has lots of problems with spelling and such. Also, some rules are just silly in the language. I still want to slap people who don't know the difference between 'your' and 'you're'.

I apologize if I mispell words. I try not to. however I only have an eighth grade education. people should feel free to correct me. (realy, it's the only way I learn)

Quote Originally Posted by SindelChaos
    It's NOT that hard. I mean what were you doing in school all those years in English class?
    writing erotic poetry for the girl i was taken with at the time. and when the teacher asked to see what i was doing, rather than give her an opportunity to humiliate me - she was better at humiliation than teaching (1) - i crumpled the page up and ate it.

i've found that reading just about anything you can get your hands on, no matter how dull (*cough*Thomas Hardy*cough*) helps a great deal.

i appreciate that reading is hard work for a lot of people, and that not everyone can glance at a paragraph and inhale its meaning. the whole Spelling Nazi thing is probably just a way for me to feel superior.

(1) That's right, Mrs Silgardo. You arrogant prison guard. You didn't think i'd forget that, did you?

DharmaLion's Avatar Devil's Advocate

Quote Originally Posted by sheramil
    the whole Spelling Nazi thing is probably just a way for me to feel superior.
    I think this is far more likely. Nine times out of ten you know EXACTLY what the person is trying to communicate and while I agree that things like paragraphs make it sooo much easier to read, if you get the point...well, you get the point. Just make sure you don't ignore the content as you are busy correcting everyones grammer.

TheWalkingGlitch's Avatar Si vis pacem, para bellum

Quote Originally Posted by DharmaLion
    Nine times out of ten you know EXACTLY what the person is trying to communicate
    Though there comes a point in time when it gets A) really hard to understand, or B) understandable, but with far more effort than it's worth to decipher the illiterate scrawl. And, for me anyway, when someone fails to understand that caps lock can be turned off, forgets what commas and periods are for, or just generally tipe's liekt ihs, it tends to add greatly to the "It's not worth my time to read this" factor. Doctorate thesis quality writing is not required, but I'd like to think that basic literacy really isn't much of a request.

DharmaLion's Avatar Devil's Advocate

Quote Originally Posted by TheWalkingGlitch
    Though there comes a point in time when it gets A) really hard to understand, or B) understandable, but with far more effort than it's worth to decipher the illiterate scrawl. And, for me anyway, when someone fails to understand that caps lock can be turned off, forgets what commas and periods are for, or just generally tipe's liekt ihs, it tends to add greatly to the "It's not worth my time to read this" factor. Doctorate thesis quality writing is not required, but I'd like to think that basic literacy really isn't much of a request.
    I definately agree to a certain level, but I also find it an intersting study of someone's persona. Take Nina Sinn for example, she is an ALL CAPS POSTER. In another environment I would find this terribly distracting, however, it seems to work in her favor....

ALTHOUGH.

i like to imagine i take a bit of effort with the presentation of my messages. i go back and edit them if i don't catch a mistake before i post. when i see a message that has more than two faults in each sentence, intellectually i understand it may be the writer hasn't been typing stuff as long as i have. emotionally, though, it's like going to a club in your best finery and seeing people who just turned up in a dark blue t-shirt and jeans.

gaw damn that emotional response, anyway. THAT'S what's really wrong with the world today. there are times when it's appropriate (telling them how much you love them and that you'll always be there for them), and there are times when it isn't (careful with that axe, Eugene).

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

Satanists. in further detail people that embody everything about Christianity, except the good will toward their fellow man. they claim to worship the body, but follow a belief structure which makes them not only as much of sheep as the one's they condemn, but hypocrites as well, since the belief there is anything supernatural greater than humanity and biology, then man is by default inferior to it, and it is a renouncing of the body by attributing it's achievements to something else. And as I've said before, Anton lavey is not the smartest person in the world, if he made that claim, then he would be just as bad as any God, and those that say there are too many people, are the one's that will never be willing to sacrifice themselves to solve that problem.

+ Reply to Thread