+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fidel Castro Insulted by Being on Forbes Richest List

and your little dog too

Default Fidel Castro Insulted by Being on Forbes Richest List

from yahoo

By E. EDUARDO CASTILLO, Associated Press Writer

MEXICO CITY - Most people would be flattered if Forbes magazine estimated their personal fortune at $550 million — but Cuban President Fidel Castro is not, apparently, one of them.

Cuba's embassy in Mexico issued a stinging rebuke on Wednesday of the Forbes article without mentioning the magazine by name, calling it "a repugnant example of a campaign of lies" by "an American magazine of decaying credibility."

"It is a clumsy slander and a repugnant example of a campaign of lies perpetrated in the United States with the sole aim of justifying the criminal blockade of Cuba," the embassy said in a press statement.

Embassy officials could not immediately explain why the statement was released in Mexico, rather than in Havana, the Cuban capital.

In a story published Tuesday about the fortunes of rulers and heads-of-state, Forbes estimated the communist leader's net worth at $550 million, but acknowledged "these estimates are more art than science."

"In the past, we have relied on a percentage of Cuba's gross domestic product to estimate Fidel Castro's fortune," the article stated. "This year we have used more traditional valuation methods, comparing state-owned assets Castro is assumed to control with comparable publicly traded companies."

The magazine said Castro "derives his fortune from a web of state-owned businesses," including a convention center and retail and pharmaceutical businesses.

The embassy denied that, saying "income from Cuban state-owned companies are used exclusively for the benefit of the people, to whom they belong."

While the embassy did not dispute Forbes' estimate that Castro "travels exclusively in a convoy of black Mercedes-Benzes, it claimed Cuba was the only country in Latin America to fight inequality.

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

Default Re: Fidel Castro Insulted by Being on Forbes Richest List

Later that day Castro was heard telling one of his lackeys" stupeed amireecans, I dont haf no five hondred and fiffty millionss, I haff NINE hondred and feefty meellions

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

eh it's not like he's not a rich ass son of a bitch, but they are probbily right about forbes magazine too.

btw that's the dumbest idea ever. that blockade is really working great at getting fidel out of power, we sure showed him 40 years ago when we started it.

and your little dog too

Quote Originally Posted by Morning Glory
    btw that's the dumbest idea ever. that blockade is really working great at getting fidel out of power, we sure showed him 40 years ago when we started it.
    no kidding. i hate whomever came up with that idea. just give it another 40 years. i'm sure it is going to work any day now

Hula Hoop Supervisor

White America never understood Cuba and never will...sadly college students are the only supporters and they are more clueless than anyone in this nation. Cuban exiles and those who've escaped have about the best picture of the reality their...and while the embargo failed miserably it did do one great thing...it got more cuban women over here...so for that...THANK YOU AMERICA!!! and whatever administration put that embargo to begin with...Kennedy wasn't it?

how could they? america bans journalists from going into the country.

plus I have a hard time believing some of those "immigrants" since we all know a good deal of them are real legtimate criminals that are fleeing jail time and relying on americans anti-castro policy to welcome them here and exempt them of any suspicion. not to say that many people haven't been abused, but I wonder how many people aren't also just playing along.

I mean how many mexicans would say how bad thier leader was if people believed it, when they came to this country? probibly a lot. which isn't to say that I am against immigration, the opposite, but with the general atmosphere of redneck america, people would be more sympathetic to "evil dictator" oppression than economic marketting oppression

Hula Hoop Supervisor

how could they? america bans journalists from going into the country.

plus I have a hard time believing some of those "immigrants" since we all know a good deal of them are real legtimate criminals that are fleeing jail time and relying on americans anti-castro policy to welcome them here and exempt them of any suspicion. not to say that many people haven't been abused, but I wonder how many people aren't also just playing along.

Stay out of South Florida...seriously. Kidding actually. Honestly go out and talk to em...I could type till my fingers fall off but their is no need. I felt as you did and I simply started to ask questions...their are onlien communities too if you can't get in touch with any local cuban groups.

It's a hell of a story that you won't hear anywhere man.

Hula Hoop Supervisor

I mean how many mexicans would say how bad thier leader was if people believed it, when they came to this country? probibly a lot. which isn't to say that I am against immigration, the opposite, but with the general atmosphere of redneck america, people would be more sympathetic to "evil dictator" oppression than economic marketting oppression
    Dude Mexican's DO say that...you want a place filled with 60's radical style politics, groups, and atmosphere...head to Mexico City and the Universities there...it's fucking INTENSE. It's like the U.S. 60's only with many many many more guns. Great feeling of hope though if it is inevitably crushed by corruption and drug lords.

It'd be a good road trip though...the 1st Annual Blue Blood Mexico City uh....trek or something. Tequila, demonstrations, Tequila, Student radicals, Tequila, assorted REAL mexican food, visit some Aztec temples, and take part in some sort of political rally and make cool signs where we protest our rage of inequality...oh yeah and a soccor game wich is just as intense.

and on the way back I can show you all the REAL Mexico...the stuff tourists don't see cause it'll get them eaten by puma's.

yeah.. kinda makes me wonder if there's more this story than we are hearing about. I mean we got rid of saddam and he was in a hole in the middle of the fucking desert, but we can't get rid of fidel?

Hula Hoop Supervisor

yeah.. kinda makes me wonder if there's more this story than we are hearing about. I mean we got rid of saddam and he was in a hole in the middle of the fucking desert, but we can't get rid of fidel?
    Their is a lot more...it's a huge fucking mess in that country that no one really wants to deal with. Plus old ties are still strong not to mention the grip Castro's inner circle has over things...it's one of those situations that unless you REALLY have to get involved in...no one will. It's a haven for a lot of illegal activity and home to some true scum who masqurade as tourists.

Quote Originally Posted by Tequila Zaire
    Dude Mexican's DO say that...you want a place filled with 60's radical style politics, groups, and atmosphere...head to Mexico City and the Universities there...it's fucking INTENSE. It's like the U.S. 60's only with many many many more guns. Great feeling of hope though if it is inevitably crushed by corruption and drug lords.

It'd be a good road trip though...the 1st Annual Blue Blood Mexico City uh....trek or something. Tequila, demonstrations, Tequila, Student radicals, Tequila, assorted REAL mexican food, visit some Aztec temples, and take part in some sort of political rally and make cool signs where we protest our rage of inequality...oh yeah and a soccor game wich is just as intense.

and on the way back I can show you all the REAL Mexico...the stuff tourists don't see cause it'll get them eaten by puma's.
    Yeah I forgot about all that , I'm just used to shiity beer, shittier water and hookers and people trying to take your money. It's pretty hard to make it through Nogales, after about five minutes your'e ready to go back home and kiss american soil.

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Yeah I forgot about all that , I'm just used to shiity beer, shittier water and hookers and people trying to take your money. It's pretty hard to make it through Nogales, after about five minutes your'e ready to go back home and kiss american soil.
    Yeah too many think the boarder towns are Mexico when in reality it's like calling those forgotton texas town the U.S.

It's just a much more interesting and diverse nation once you get to the major cities and towns of each territory...though the small towns that many would see as 3rd world are like lil pockets of heaven...a great experience that put many things in perspective for me as a kid, teen, and adult.

yeah it's hard being somewhere where I'm in the minority. not that it gives me a inferiorority complex or that I believe the white lies(pun intended), but I always think of the following equation: My hatred of white people x someone who doesn't have the luxury of being able to be white and hate white people + everyone else feeling the same way X my hatred of law enforcement authority X someone who doesn't have the luxury of being white and hating law enforcement authority - america's police state = Me getting shot

Hula Hoop Supervisor

You'd be surprised how you wouldn't be treated all that badly...as long as you're not DEA, FBI, CIA, or ATF...it's all good. Just make sure you pay your bar tab. heheh.

So basically... instead of trying to work out how much money he has they decided to just assume anything state owned is his property? So in other words it's like saying anyone above 'Fidel Castro' in the rich list is richer than a fair-sized third world country. Yay.

+ Reply to Thread