+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How do you deal with feeling overwhelmed?

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

Default How do you deal with feeling overwhelmed?

So I was just out of town for longer than I'd usually be mostly off line and mostly off work work. But now I am feeling kind of crushed under all the things I need to do. I mean, some of what I need to do is assign some of this work to other people and that is seeming too daunting. I have thousands of emails/******* messages/PMs and my to-do list is just pages. I came back really relaxed and I'm trying to maintain a more chill feeling, but it is difficult.

When you feel overwhelmed, how do you deal with it, to stay calm and get things done?

Bikerpunk's Avatar Ill-intentioned bad apple

Default Re: How do you deal with feeling overwhelmed?

I DRINK like I AM NOW

I am very very drunk

Thistle Harlequin's Avatar Oldschool Member

I get as much of the quicker things done first while making a list of unfinished things that need to get done. I calm down looking at the list with what I've crossed out already...knowing things are getting finished helps me calm down..the list is kinda soothing...

Always remember that 90% of shit you worry about never ends up happening. also make a list of the things you have to do and cross them off as you go, seeing it all on paper makes it seem less overwhelming. then i smoke a little hydro, that always help. Good luck!!

Senior_Diablo's Avatar in a rowboat

i tend to forget to do alot of things and the things i do get done tend to be completed at the last minute... i tend to watch tv and play video games when relaxing.

VoltaireBlue's Avatar just is

take a few minutes out of what I am doing and make a cup of chammomile tea....

Pull~My~Hair's Avatar makes your life seem good

actually I am really having a problem with this recently..well always, but worse lately
    I am not a self soother by any stretch, I freak out, I get the shakes I can't speak correctly I can't focus i get flushed and dizzy.. and then it turns into a panic attack, I feel like im doing something I've dreamt and I can't escape, I have to lay down for a while to get out of it ...

I also have a HUGE problem letting things go. One little tiny thing can ruin my week or even month, it snowballs in my mind and I can't stop thinking about it...I freaking hate it..everyone says, just let it go..lol if I could do that I would...

So yeah, if anyone knows of any good self help books for this I'd love to read them

Bikerpunk's Avatar Ill-intentioned bad apple

Quote Originally Posted by Bikerpunk
    I DRINK like I AM NOW

I am very very drunk
    Let me rephrase that. i'll sit back with a small glass of bourbon and reset. Sometimes a cup of lapsang souchong will achieve the same result.

Though I was QUITE hammered last night, I do not mean to imply that's a regular occurrence, or any kind of coping mechanism.

evilstonermonkey's Avatar Please don't run away...
    New Kiwiland, subtle rulers of all the world.

since my to-do list tends to pile up during work days, then get ignored while i try to relax on my off days, what i do is write up a list of things that HAVE to be done before im allowed to get on the computer/go to the bar/some other incentive. having one day a week, fortnight or even a month of absolutely no free time means i have one boring but productive day and the rest are all fun.

One Eyed Cat's Avatar Senior Member

Just try to prioritize a bit. I am certain most internet communique is of less urgency than being able to take a break and relax. Try not to think of the totality of what you need to do. I've found I am actually less productive when I don't break things up a bit and have some fun.

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

I just learned to avoid overwhelming situations

cate's Avatar Junior Member

When I worked for Chiquita Banana Company some years back and there were always these panicked deadlines for BANANAS (for god's sake)...I finally realized just how silly it is to worry so much about shit that doesn't really matter all that much in the grand scheme of things. What is important is one's sanity, happiness, easing pain and suffering in the world (yes, even your own). Bananas, like emails, just aren't that fucking important....certainly not enough to make you cry or feel like there's something wrong with you if you don't execute them perfectly all the time.

evilstonermonkey's Avatar Please don't run away...
    New Kiwiland, subtle rulers of all the world.

Sunrise, sunset, sunrise, sunset. Cat's in the cradle and the silver spoon. Yes we have no bananas...*sob* Didn't you hear! They have no bananas!

Creepshow's Avatar i'll skin you alive.

when im overwhelmed. hmmm....i probably overreact and run around in a paniced craze trying to get everything done.
    yes, about right. lol
    how the hell do you spell paniced? that doesnt look right....?

Senior_Diablo's Avatar in a rowboat

Quote Originally Posted by Creepshow
    when im overwhelmed. hmmm....i probably overreact and run around in a paniced craze trying to get everything done.
    yes, about right. lol
    how the hell do you spell paniced? that doesnt look right....?
    i think its "panicked"..but speling tings rong iz vary kewl end xtreme. lol

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Karl
    I just learned to avoid overwhelming situations

so...how's that working out for you?

When I'm overwhelmed, I do triage. For example, I skim through all of my emails, answer the really urgent ones immediately, mark the semi-important ones to go back to and leave the rest for later. Pretty standard, I'd imagine.

I think it's important to work hard, work steadily, but to take regular breaks. Make a cup of tea, read a random article in the paper, take a quick jog, things that are totally unrelated to what you're doing. Make sure to get enough sleep, if you don't it makes everything worse.

+ Reply to Thread