+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: Just how many vegetarians ARE here?

Default Just how many vegetarians ARE here?

You all got me curious : ). If you are a Vegetarian/Vegan what have you then what do you not eat/wont eat?

I've been a vegetarian for about 3ish years now. Became one originally for health but then after seeing how badly animals get treated in the slaughter/meat houses I stopped because of not wanting to support that. At first it was rather tough but then I got introduced to morningstar and boca products and have not looked back haha. One good part about being in Tennessee is that it has alot of 7th day adventists (who're vegetarian) so a really wide supply of tasty foods.

As far as foods go...

I don't eat any kind of meat. That includes fish, chicken, crustaceans etc. But will eat pretty much anything else.

If I miss any food its probably calamari tentacles.

Default Re: Just how many vegetarians ARE here?

Quote Originally Posted by Velvet-Tongue
    that it has alot of 7th day adventists (who're vegetarian).
    Wow, I didn't know those nutters were vegetarian. I've been a veg for almost half of my live (14 years). I've been laughing at the meat recalls. Serves them right for treating those cow like bags of dirt. Did you see that Humane Society video? Totally repugnant.

Bikerpunk's Avatar Ill-intentioned bad apple

Can one object to the inhuman treatment of animals and still eat meat?
    I don't eat any animal that has been factory farmed.

Quote Originally Posted by Toe Cutter
    Wow, I didn't know those nutters were vegetarian. I've been a veg for almost half of my live (14 years). I've been laughing at the meat recalls. Serves them right for treating those cow like bags of dirt. Did you see that Humane Society video? Totally repugnant.
    Yeah the adventist are vegetarian and don't smoke tobacco, drink alcohol, consume caffein or any other stimulant. They live forever though lol.

Bikerpunk's Avatar Ill-intentioned bad apple

Quote Originally Posted by Velvet-Tongue
    Yeah the adventist are vegetarian and don't smoke tobacco, drink alcohol, consume caffein or any other stimulant. They live forever though lol.
    So do British grandmothers, and they live on cigarettes and gin

I'm a vegetarian :-D, been so for 6 years and some months. First started because this girl I liked back in highschool was and as I hung out with her, I learned of her being a vegeterrian and she was/is still.... because of the horrible treatment that animals get, which is why I'm a vegetarian. Gotta love Morningstar and Boca!!!!! You know Burger King now makes a BKVeggie? It's not that great of a veggie burger but it's kinda cool to be able to get it, if I'm with meat eaters. So yeah, don't eat fish/crustaceans/meat of any kind.

Also, Indian food is the BEST!

evilstonermonkey's Avatar Please don't run away...
    New Kiwiland, subtle rulers of all the world.

i like meat.

Quote Originally Posted by Eclipse
    I'm a vegetarian :-D, been so for 6 years and some months. First started because this girl I liked back in highschool was and as I hung out with her, I learned of her being a vegeterrian and she was/is still.... because of the horrible treatment that animals get, which is why I'm a vegetarian. Gotta love Morningstar and Boca!!!!! You know Burger King now makes a BKVeggie? It's not that great of a veggie burger but it's kinda cool to be able to get it, if I'm with meat eaters. So yeah, don't eat fish/crustaceans/meat of any kind.

Also, Indian food is the BEST!
    Woah fast food veggie burgers? See this is why I like BB. New info

One Eyed Cat's Avatar Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bikerpunk
    Absolutely. Much kudos to you Bikerpunk. I am at that point myself due to health difficulties I have had with vegetarianism. I am trying to taper off to v-ism, but I have to do so in a manner conducive to my own health.

JT

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

In the supermarket, I always buy free range and organic or kosher (most of Kosher law is about humane slaughtering and such from a time without modern refrigeration when people thought slow dismemberment was a good way to keep meat fresh.) But I get pretty miserable and unhappy feeling if I don't eat a pretty high protein diet.

Head Wreck's Avatar Dai the Llama

i tend to stay clear of red meats tbh. they dont digest well. which really narked me off when i was stateside as everything seemed to come with beef (which tbh, i hate). and theres only so many chicken dinners you can order or cook before you get sick of it.

luckilly Yipsi had a decent organic supermarket about an hours walk away from (long live felinfoel. or Feeling-foul as some call it)

i love my fishy to much to become vege.

One Eyed Cat's Avatar Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Amelia G
    In the supermarket, I always buy free range and organic or kosher (most of Kosher law is about humane slaughtering and such from a time without modern refrigeration when people thought slow dismemberment was a good way to keep meat fresh.) But I get pretty miserable and unhappy feeling if I don't eat a pretty high protein diet.

JT

Im sorry but every vegetarian i know always looks skinny and sick and weak. just eating lettuce and broccoli and herbs and spices isnt good for you. You need meat! just not too much of certain kinds. the key is eating both meat and vegetables at the same time if you give a shit about your body.

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

THEY'RE COMING TO GET YOU, BARBARA!

I don't know why I thought of that...

I'm a vegan for a few years now, a veggie for about five.

Obviously I don't eat any beef, chicken, pork, fish or other animal. I don't eat eggs or dairy products. I do eat honey, because it is a waste product of bees and harvesting it is not harmful to them. I also eat yeast.

I'm not positive that kosher really is more humane than regular factory slaughter. most of the laws, you are right, are about ways to preserve the meat that are outdated today since we have preservatives and refridgeration and disinfectant, and were more humane then what was done at the time, but that's not to say that it still is today, as the animals are still slaughtered without the use of any anasthetic.

also, in case anyone cares, boca burger is owned by Phillip Morris, so ya know while you are saving the cows you are giving money to a company that kills thousands of people.

Quote Originally Posted by blackienig
    Im sorry but every vegetarian i know always looks skinny and sick and weak. just eating lettuce and broccoli and herbs and spices isnt good for you. You need meat! just not too much of certain kinds. the key is eating both meat and vegetables at the same time if you give a shit about your body.
    I'v been a veg for 3 years and am not skinny, sick or weak. The only thing you really lack is iron or certain carnivore proteins.

If you eat plenty of soy/nuts etc etc whatever you're fine. Also recommended to take a multi vitamin (everyone should take one anyway). I lift weights 3 times a week and make strength/endurance/size gains just as fast as my meat eating friends. I'm as healthy as ever.

Totally. To each their own. Preachy vegetarians bug the crap outta me. They are kinda creepy. Similar to the creepyness of Mormon Missionaries. Even worse is they have only been veg for like 6 monthes or something.

funkatron's Avatar Dead Agent

Quote Originally Posted by Amelia G
    You just need a full colon cleansing.

Yeah Amelia, you need to rock a colonic!

You live in L.A. they are totally cool there. Not to mention a superb ice breaker.

funkatron's Avatar Dead Agent

SyntheticShock's Avatar ...

I eat meat very rarely and when I do its chicken.

I am a carnivore, pure and simple, though I find much of the vegetarian/vegan arguments about factory farming and ill-treatment of animals to have considerable merit.

Lived with a young vegan for about a month or so when I was 26 going on 27, and while he meant well and had a decent sense of humour, I have to admit that have had a psychological meat hunger that I didn't before ever since.

Senior_Diablo's Avatar in a rowboat

Quote Originally Posted by Donald Rilea
    I am a carnivore, pure and simple, though I find much of the vegetarian/vegan arguments about factory farming and ill-treatment of animals to have considerable merit.
    i would say im a carnivore as well.i eat alot of meat and rarely eat vegetables. i can see why people would choose to be vegetarian/vegan. theres ill-treatment of animals and there are health benefits.but from what i've seen, people who are vegetarian/vegan dont seem to be too healthy. i'm no doctor but i would say the best thing is to have a balance.

I'm a man and I like my steak bloody!

Quote Originally Posted by OliX
    I'm a man and I like my steak bloody!

And your rakija and cigarettes strong, no doubt!!!!

rakija... what's that?

cigarettes... of course even paranoid ones ocasionaly

Quote Originally Posted by OliX
    rakija... what's that?

cigarettes... of course even paranoid ones ocasionaly
    Rakija, what's that. I'll just BET you don't know what rakija is !!!!

I bet you 1000 that I know what shljivovica, pardon me, rakija is

and no... I actualy don't drink... 2 beers and I'm dancing on the tables

Sorry. Should have said Shljivocica instead of rakija.

Don't drink that often myself, and just as well.

Have been known to get into fist-fights in recent years if I've had too much, especially wine.

Some people and alcohol don't mix all that well.

I don't care what other people do, as long as they aren't preachy about it, but I'd be a cannibal before a vegetarian.

I definitely try to go for free range/organic when I can, but I don't make it a requirement, either.

Sorry. Should have said Shljivocica instead of rakija.

Don't drink that often myself, and just as well.

Have been known to get into fist-fights in recent years if I've had too much, especially wine.

Some people and alcohol don't mix all that well.

Yeah, with me, that's tequila. As Tom Robbins said:

“Now tequila may be the favoured beverage of outlaws but that doesn't mean it gives them preferential treatment. In fact, tequila probably has betrayed as many outlaws as has the central nervous system and dissatisfied wives. Tequila, scorpion honey, harsh dew of the doglands, essence of Aztec, crema de cacti; tequila, oily and thermal like the sun in solution; tequila, liquid geometry of passion; Tequila, the buzzard god who copulates in midair with the ascending souls of dying virgins; tequila, firebug in the house of good taste; O tequila, savage water of sorcery, what confusion and mischief your sly, rebellious drops do generate!”

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

I eat whatever it takes.....but I'm waiting for the day when someone invents the food pill

im a woman and i like my steaks bloody too.......although mr karl the food pill would be amazing.

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

food pills would be great, especially if your someone who has better things you'd rather spend dinner time doing

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Karl
    food pills would be great, especially if your someone who has better things you'd rather spend dinner time doing
    Ah, food pills!!! Yet another early- and mid-20th Century science fiction promise broken, along with flying cars.

Damn you, H.G. Wells, the makers of those silly Flash Gordon and Buck Rogers movie serials(among many others), and George Pal !!!

Ah, food pills!!! Yet another early- and mid-20th Century science fiction promise broken, along with flying cars.

Damn you, H.G. Wells, the makers of those silly Flash Gordon and Buck Rogers movie serials(among many others), and George Pal !!!
    pills that gave you all the nutrients you need to survive? that would definitely save time and probably money. you wouldnt need certain appliances anymore, i guess... but they do actually have flying cars. they only get like 2-3 feet off the ground though...i still want my damn jet pack..lol

Quote Originally Posted by Senior_Diablo
    pills that gave you all the nutrients you need to survive? that would definitely save time and probably money. you wouldnt need certain appliances anymore, i guess... but they do actually have flying cars. they only get like 2-3 feet off the ground though...i still want my damn jet pack..lol
    That's one I missed mentioning, along with moving sidewalks and spandex jackets, one for everyone .

That's one I missed mentioning, along with moving sidewalks and spandex jackets, one for everyone .
    spandex ftw?

Head Wreck's Avatar Dai the Llama

thou shalt not forsake the god that is H. G, Wells!

Black Spiral Dancer's Avatar RedHead Admirer Supreme!

To quote the song "Meat" by Killing Miranda...
    Meat is Murder, Murder tasys good!

Quote Originally Posted by Head Wreck
    thou shalt not forsake the god that is H. G, Wells!
    H. G Wells, a god????

I don't think the man ever thought of himself that way, nor ever started up a church centred 'round that belief.

If he did, it's news to me, but, hey, there are just only SO many things one hears about out Nevada way.

Seriously, have read War Of The Worlds, The Time Machine, and parts of his one-volume edition of The Outline Of History, and those are pretty fair little books, even if one can see a lot of his biases creep into the latter.

Not the first, nor the last, historical writer to do that.

Also, have the '36 film version of Things To Come here, and, while a lot of the acting and dialogue in it are hilariously over-done and over-wordy by to-day's standards, it still has the capacity to knock one's socks off visually(the sets, costumes, art direction and production design still generally hold up quite well)and in the editing.

Wasn't so much Wells the man I was forsaking(Wells the God would be another story ), but the kinds of utopian science fiction, and especially many of the gadgets, like flying cars, moving city sidewalks, and the like, found not just in his science-fiction, but in plenty of early-and mid-20th Century American science fiction, too.

Even then, the knocking was really rather a joke about Mr Karl's mention of food pills in one of his previous posts here.

That's all.

Mr Wells may now resume his Eternal Rest and stop spinning about in his grave, particularly as the neighbours are starting to complain about it .

+ Reply to Thread