+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Writers' Block + Just dropping a line

ObscureZan's Avatar Member

Default Writers' Block + Just dropping a line

Good Evening Everybody! I just started writing again for a serious of stories called the "304 Stories" 'cause I'm in a writing mood. These stories are all told from my male character's percpective versus my normal female character's percpective. It's kind of a nice change of pace for me but then again very challenging, I'm not used to writing from a male percpective yet ;_; but yeah all the stories are based off poems by Niimura Tooru. So I just dropped by, made a few posties, trying to clear my head a little before continuing writing again because I'M HAVING MAJOR WRITER'S BLOCK! I'm not even that good of a writer and I'm getting it like my friend Brad (Who's an awesome writer) does! haha so...How do you guys clear your writer's block?!

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

Default Re: Writers' Block + Just dropping a line

For me, the process is very much sort of setting my brain right. I have to clear out some things and focus on others. I reach for what I really want to express and what is my truest voice. And sometimes I just put something on the page and no one ever sees it because I don't feel it is good enough in some way, but it gets the creative juices flowing.

Sometimes a deadline helps.

Sometimes stepping away and coming back to a difficult piece is the ticket.

Quote Originally Posted by Amelia G
    For me, the process is very much sort of setting my brain right. I have to clear out some things and focus on others. I reach for what I really want to express and what is my truest voice. And sometimes I just put something on the page and no one ever sees it because I don't feel it is good enough in some way, but it gets the creative juices flowing.

Sometimes a deadline helps.

Sometimes stepping away and coming back to a difficult piece is the ticket.
    Thanks for the advice it really helped! I went upstairs and had a conversation with my mother about the piece and just got a "Wha-? Sweetie I like your writing but I have no idea what you just told me..." which actually inspired me to add that quote to the piece. Thanks!

evilstonermonkey's Avatar Please don't run away...
    New Kiwiland, subtle rulers of all the world.

i find that when i get a block, i just step back and do something else for a while. another idea is to find yourself a muse. pretty obvious i know, but i never made so much progress on the story im writing as when my girlfriend at the time found out about it and was pushing me to get far enough into it that i was willing to let her read it. it went from being a 'when i remember its there' thing to a 'inspired dervish ripping through the pages' thing

Quote Originally Posted by evilstonermonkey
    i find that when i get a block, i just step back and do something else for a while. another idea is to find yourself a muse. pretty obvious i know, but i never made so much progress on the story im writing as when my girlfriend at the time found out about it and was pushing me to get far enough into it that i was willing to let her read it. it went from being a 'when i remember its there' thing to a 'inspired dervish ripping through the pages' thing
    Thank youuuuuuu! I finally did get up the courage to call my muse and find that *gasp* HE WAS ACTUALLY AWAKE O.O I talked to him a little bit (Seeing as the male character in my story is based off of him) and that helped me develop his character a liittle more then I floated off to finish a couple drawings and came back to write some more! I'm almost done with the one story now and hopefully I can move onto the second one here today/early tomorrow

+ Reply to Thread