+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Do you have a day job in addition to something else you do?

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

Default Do you have a day job in addition to something else you do?

Do you have something you think of as your true passion and what you really do and another thing you do to pay the bills?

killerkat's Avatar Malice?

Default Re: Do you have a day job in addition to something else you do?

well hell yea, carpendry, i've built many guitars,one right now,cabinets,tables all kinds of really nice things.

building/restoring rods/classics, i've done it my whole life,there's still maybe only one other thing that can bring as big a smile to my face like a loud-ass open-headered, flathead motor........

but i do none of that for a living,sadly, i'm learned to be a baker a few years ago,just becuse it was were i worked, and i like the offer's pay&hours.......baking is ok , it can even be pretty fun sometimes, but it still doesn't ever compare to the above memtioned things...........

hewhoisagod's Avatar Captain Obvious

I just have a work study job.................. school is my job

CarnalxKiss's Avatar Carnal Love Goddess

Yip...I work 12 hour days as a Nurse...(private duty) and I sing, Dj and write professionally for my kicks...everyone should have a passion or two..

nyar's Avatar The Crawling Chaos

But of course-
    I live to make art- and do martial arts
    but to live Im a painting contractor-
    as much as I try not to I have spent much time cursing the situation- every so often I end up with no work and all the stuff that goes along with unemployment and realize Im lucky to have other skills to support myself and my "passions"-
    But heres a question-
    because Im not homeless and starving, or for that matter- willing to be, does that mean Im not dedicated enough? I can barely imagine how good my paintings or music would be if I could've spent 8hrs a day for the last 10 years doing that instead "working". But- painting materials cost money, photo materials cost money, and musical equipment costs a lot of money- not to mention, making slides, cds, promotional stuff!!! blah, blah, blah-
    what would you say?

One Eyed Cat's Avatar Senior Member

I'm trying to combine the 2 as much as possible. I don't need a day job at this point in time. Hopefully, my choice of profession will add to my intrinsic goals.

OEC

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

Quote Originally Posted by nyar
    But of course-
    I live to make art- and do martial arts
    but to live Im a painting contractor-
    as much as I try not to I have spent much time cursing the situation- every so often I end up with no work and all the stuff that goes along with unemployment and realize Im lucky to have other skills to support myself and my "passions"-
    But heres a question-
    because Im not homeless and starving, or for that matter- willing to be, does that mean Im not dedicated enough? I can barely imagine how good my paintings or music would be if I could've spent 8hrs a day for the last 10 years doing that instead "working". But- painting materials cost money, photo materials cost money, and musical equipment costs a lot of money- not to mention, making slides, cds, promotional stuff!!! blah, blah, blah-
    what would you say?
    I'm not sure if this has to be the case, but a lot of people who create art on a grant or a trust fund don't seem to spend eight hours a day on it, even though they could. It seems backwards, but I have the impression that the time pressure of having to fit art in around a job and the resource pressure of having to provide art supplies . . . well, somehow they seem to spur creativity even as they limit it.

nyar's Avatar The Crawling Chaos

Quote Originally Posted by AmeliaG
    I'm not sure if this has to be the case, but a lot of people who create art on a grant or a trust fund don't seem to spend eight hours a day on it, even though they could. It seems backwards, but I have the impression that the time pressure of having to fit art in around a job and the resource pressure of having to provide art supplies . . . well, somehow they seem to spur creativity even as they limit it.
    Yes- Sometime that can be the case-
    I guess it all comes down to ones mindset- staying positive when you feel you should be doing something else, or something more gets frustrating.
    as long as I can, I will though!

kshearsedriver's Avatar resident nut

I do electronics repair to try and pay the bills..........drawing,music and cars are more along the passions line. But lately too stressed over trying to get the bills paid to want to draw or play music and the damn vehicles just keep breaking making the bills thing even harder. I just try to remember that it could be worse, my kids are fed and healthy, I have a great wife, and we have a house to sleep in so I really shouldn't be complaining.

yes... but it's not to talk about....

normaly i'm just working on building sites

p.s. I left DJ-ing like 12 months ago due to no time (it was my favourite thing to do, but low profitable)

Nudemuse's Avatar Queen of all Fatassia.

Writing is my passion but I an a Network analyst by midday/evening.

memorydream's Avatar Sage

Even with four different "side" projects, the main line is always some low level barely above minimum bullshit! Best to all who can even do just a few hours less of that sort of thing (even with a college education!).

Candy_Grenade's Avatar Junior Member

I work as a Marketing Director/Manager at a nightclub that is somewhat my passion (want to own a nightclub one day) and I am finally finishing up my degree this year for Business Management.
    I would love to be able to model and make ends meet, but it doesn't work that way unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by Candy_Grenade
    I work as a Marketing Director/Manager at a nightclub that is somewhat my passion (want to own a nightclub one day) and I am finally finishing up my degree this year for Business Management.
    I would love to be able to model and make ends meet, but it doesn't work that way unfortunately.
    well,damn, Iguess there is a club i would wan't to go to,after all hehe.......

goodluck with that Degree..........

my true passion is to be a tattoo artist which IM going to be going to school for here shortly but in the mean time I work at a local music shop

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow
    my true passion is to be a tattoo artist which IM going to be going to school for here shortly but in the mean time I work at a local music shop
    tattoo school, you mean that $5 grand one that up in MI ,i think it's in MI,???.........or an apprentiship?.........

Quote Originally Posted by killerkat
    tattoo school, you mean that $5 grand one that up in MI ,i think it's in MI,???.........or an apprentiship?.........
    Not sure Im going to look around right nowyou know get to know more about the schools in the Cali area and see if there is anything there that catches my eye Ill let you know when I find it
    Shadow

skully's Avatar Senior Member
    northern jersey(my dad has been a bridge and tunnel rat my whole life and i am following in his footsteps)

kinda- i work at a pretty cool engineering firm in times square dealing with heat ventilation and air conditioning... part time while i am in school...although this is a great job andi am learning alot the thought of doing this for the rest of my life is terribly boring...but by the time i graduate i will have the knowledge and resume to get that kick ass job designing/building/working with very kool things so basically i am paying my dues now so that when i graduate i can get the job of my dreams that will also pay the bills.

+ Reply to Thread