+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Electrostim Therapy

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

Default Electrostim Therapy

So I hear that using electrostim therapy could get my leg back to normal like 30% faster now that the broken bone part is mostly healed. Anyone have experience with physical therapy stuff? Anyone here used a home electrostim unit? Worth it?

One Eyed Cat's Avatar Senior Member

Default Re: Electrostim Therapy

I had it done on my knee at a hospital rehab center. I was foolish enough to play football during my sophomore year in high school. I managed to start on defense, but playing on offense one day in practice a had an estimated ton of football players buckle my knee under. You could hear the ligaments snap from the sidelines. In my case, the injury was severe enough that I have arthritis in it now. I think it would work well for your ankle I got it pretty much back to normal within a few months. It is just that in the case of knees, you sustain a degree of permanent damage. Another key is to build the muscles around your ankle. So yeah, electric stimulation definitely works. I had never heard of a home unit.

OEC

MistressJennifer's Avatar Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by AmeliaG
    So I hear that using electrostim therapy could get my leg back to normal like 30% faster now that the broken bone part is mostly healed. Anyone have experience with physical therapy stuff? Anyone here used a home electrostim unit? Worth it?
    I think I have had that on my back at the chiropractor. I'm sure it would help you. I mean, I am not sure how expensive the home unit is. If it is not too expensive, I would say give it a try, it couldn't hurt. At least it makes it feel better.

I have had lots of physical therapy for broken bones, and they always make me do exersizes at the gym, I mean, really hard ones!!! I am still doing them, they really told me to work the muscles and it will stengthen the bones.

You might consult a sports therapy place, at a gym, because they will give you exersizes for your ankle and leg... Yes, it HURTS, but you have to push it!! My broken bones still hurt!!!! But you need to strengthen the muscles around the broken bone....

Quote Originally Posted by MistressJennifer
    I think I have had that on my back at the chiropractor. I'm sure it would help you. I mean, I am not sure how expensive the home unit is. If it is not too expensive, I would say give it a try, it couldn't hurt. At least it makes it feel better.

I have had lots of physical therapy for broken bones, and they always make me do exersizes at the gym, I mean, really hard ones!!! I am still doing them, they really told me to work the muscles and it will stengthen the bones.

You might consult a sports therapy place, at a gym, because they will give you exersizes for your ankle and leg... Yes, it HURTS, but you have to push it!! My broken bones still hurt!!!! But you need to strengthen the muscles around the broken bone....
    Yeah, I think the real key is strengthening the muscles around any broken bone. Most likely, you will feel it at times. There were a few other devices they used at this place, tho I don't recall the names. One looked like an ultrasound Another good thing is to take really hot then really cold baths or jacuzzis.

OEC

morbid_lady's Avatar Senior Member

my mom had to go to physiotherapy for awhile, for her wrist and they used that stuff on her, i'm not sure how much it helped but her arm was pretty fucked up. she had carpol tunnel sydrome and had undergone surgery for it and it resulted in alot of nerve damage. its still messed up, but it might be different for ur leg.

I just got back into physical therapy about a month ago I will ask my therapist about it.. how is therapy going for you??

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow
    I just got back into physical therapy about a month ago I will ask my therapist about it.. how is therapy going for you??

I go for my first physical therapist appointment tomorrow, so we'll see. I'm nervous and so far this trying to walk but use crutches thing totally sucks.

I go for my first physical therapist appointment tomorrow, so we'll see. I'm nervous and so far this trying to walk but use crutches thing totally sucks.

Oh don't be nervous!!! You are fine, you are going to be fine. I would definitely get the Electrostim if you can. Did you decide on a cane?

My leg was shriveled to the size of my arm when I got the cast off. It is kinda scary at first, but you'll be fine.

OEC

aXa's Avatar Senior Member

yes, good luck w the therapy stuff and dont worry about it. i remember when a friend had a home electrostim unit. we found that it had "other uses". may have been the drugs or the fact that we were really bored tho. ie playfull.

Quote Originally Posted by aXa
    yes, good luck w the therapy stuff and dont worry about it. i remember when a friend had a home electrostim unit. we found that it had "other uses". may have been the drugs or the fact that we were really bored tho. ie playfull.

Yes Amelia, see, you can use electrostim for "OTHER USES" after you are all well!!!! Now you have to get it!

yeah trust me I know how you feel try being in a wheelchair for 6 month then walking no fun but you will do it just takes time good luck!!

The physical therapist this morning was amazing. Really wonderful. Took a long time with me and even got me doing a sort of in-between crutches and no crutches way of walking that should help the transition happen fast. He was really nice too.

This afternoon Shannon from SinIsHer.com was awesome enough to bring over an electrostim device someone in her family actually invented. She is going to check on where exactly I should put the little stim pads.

I got a bone density test too and I definitely don't have young chick osteoporosis. I do have some nifty color printouts of what some of my insides look like.

The break I had was so minor and it has been like this. It must be awful to try to relearn walking after six months in a chair.

The physical therapist this morning was amazing. Really wonderful. Took a long time with me and even got me doing a sort of in-between crutches and no crutches way of walking that should help the transition happen fast. He was really nice too.

This afternoon Shannon from SinIsHer.com was awesome enough to bring over an electrostim device someone in her family actually invented. She is going to check on where exactly I should put the little stim pads.

I got a bone density test too and I definitely don't have young chick osteoporosis. I do have some nifty color printouts of what some of my insides look like.

The break I had was so minor and it has been like this. It must be awful to try to relearn walking after six months in a chair.
    yeah it was like learnig how to walk all over again no fun but Im up and walking.. Im glad that therapy went well for you to day!!

and your little dog too

i hate going to the doctor. feel better.

+ Reply to Thread