+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Childhood Storybooks

Mother Superior

Default Childhood Storybooks

Taking into consideration that all of us vary in ages and in the material that would have been available to us as children, what did you like to read before bed time as a child? I enjoyed Peter and the Wolf, my parents had bought me albums that had books and you were read stories, and this was my favorite. I also loved anything with a supernatural tinge.

KilLAtomiK's Avatar Ceci n'est pas une pirate

Default Re: Childhood Storybooks

i liked reading the Pippi Longstocking books Pippi In The South Seas is the first book i read with chapters way back in first grade circa 1991

morbid_lady's Avatar Senior Member

i really loved the dr seuss books especially Fox in Socks and my dad used to read the Belgariad series by David Eddings to me and my bro before bed

There was this childhood book about a little black kitten who was afraid of everything and then something happen to make it not afraid. I don't remember what happened. The reason I like this childhood book as my favorite was because the little black kitten had like black velvet type covering that was like its fur. This choldhood book had to be replaces a couple times because they got worn out.

hewhoisagod's Avatar Captain Obvious

bunnicula, where the wild things are, and the first book I read in kindergarten was a book by Stephen Kellogg about a kid with a boa constrictor. I forget the name of the title.

keiko's Avatar baker of geekery

danny and the dinosaur was my all time favourite as a kid. the first one i learned to read all by myself was bugs bunny and the carrot machine. of course theres always super fudge but jeremy thatcher dragon hatcher and aliens ate my homework had the biggest impact, next to little black sambo (speaking of banned books).

K

morbid_lady's Avatar Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by hewhoisagod
    bunnicula, where the wild things are, and the first book I read in kindergarten was a book by Stephen Kellogg about a kid with a boa constrictor. I forget the name of the title.
    The Day Jimmy's Boa Ate the Wash by Trinka Hakes Noble illustrated by Steven Kellogg

I still have that book!!!

'rat's magic' i forget the author... 'east of the sun, west of the moon' by kay neilsen... i was always really into books that had superfine illustration (although why i like 'cloudy with a chance of meatballs' is a question...)

a litttle later 'the house with the clock in it's walls', and other books by ballaires, with illustrations from edward gorey, or mercer mayer...

those 'great brain' books too...

LOL lovecraft in 6th grade...

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

Beth's Happy Day!

kshearsedriver's Avatar resident nut

bunnicula.......loved that one...still have a copy around here somewhere, it's about time to read it to my kids come to think of it...........now i'm on a quest to dig in the book dungeon and find it.......which is going to stir up the dust and cause me to sneeze, oh well small price to pay........the little monsters are quite fond of 'where the wild things are'

keiko's Avatar baker of geekery

Another one of my fave books from back when was "No flying in the house". And now that I think about it "The Lottery Rose" was another good one.

K

Angel Slayer's Avatar guardian garroter

bunnicula, ender's game, dragon sorceror, and the hardy boys. and my grandma used to read me to sleep w/ stephen king and dean koontz. and i was pretty crazy about goosebumps from 2nd grade to sixth grade.

sheramil's Avatar Maracite Inreach program

when i was about six years old i happened across a copy of Burroughs' Naked Lunch. i didn't have any idea as to what it was about, but i really liked his narrative tone - he wrote just the same way he spoke.

the_darkness_calls's Avatar Senior Member

i used to love goodnight moon when i was really little. on a related note, to this day i cannot read the velveteen rabbit cause it still makes me bawl, i always felt sooo bad for the rabbit cause he just wanted to be real (ahhhh, just thinking about it makes me wanna cry!!!).

+ Reply to Thread