+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Parental Censorship

Mother Superior

Default Parental Censorship

I could have swore I did this thread before but I ran a search and came up with nothing. Were you censored as a child about the materials you viewed or music you listened to? I had free reign on watching,listening to and reading anything I wanted. If it was too sexual, that was off limits though. Typical for my upbringing ... killing and death were ok but something as natural as fucking wasn't. As Sharon Tate once put it "You can show dead bodies and killing on televison but not something as beautiful as making love". She had a point. My poor Sharon so beautiful inside and out and wise beyond her 26 years.

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

Default Re: Parental Censorship

I wasn't allowed to watch TV almost at all. Not for maturity of content, but because my parents felt most of it was too stupid and would rot my brain.

Later on, they tended to not want me to watch R rated movies, but I was more fired up to see sex ones than violent ones, so those were the ones which came up.

Nudemuse's Avatar Queen of all Fatassia.

With me TV wasn't really a problem we didn't have cable until I was about 12 so prior to that I watched a lot of public television. My favorite shows as a kid were Benny Hill, NOVA, Mr. Music and of course I loved Hill Street Blues and for a few years I was addicted to the soap Santa Barbara. Really compared to other kids I knew I didn't watch much TV.

Books were a whole other ball game. I learned to read very early and from when I learned to read I'd read anything and everything. When I was around 7 or so my parents got a little freaked out about some of the stuff I was reading and there was a year or two of them wanting to see what I was reading first but, that didn't last too long. Luckily for me they got a talking to by my favorite librarian who told them basically if I read something that freaked me out I wouldn't read it anymore.

For the most part my parents attempts at censoring what I was exposed to didn't work out too well because I would just find out for myself then talk to them (or at them sometimes) about whatever it was.

I think what you do or don't expose your kids to really depends on the kid.

Pull~My~Hair's Avatar makes your life seem good

when I was 14-15 I rented the movie KIDS and my parents raised hell at the local video store, I still to this day havent watched it lol. My parents alwasy watched a movie before theyd allow me to watch it, they screened sex and drugs, but not violence, which is strange because now that im older I totally perfer sex and drugs to violence any day.

I was totally uncensored. Either that or my older brother watched me which was worse. I was TV raised.

Mother Superior

Quote Originally Posted by Nudemuse
    I think what you do or don't expose your kids to really depends on the kid.
    That's a great point. Many kids are extremely mature ,and can handle the material. I was a major bookworm and read novels at a young age. I assume alot of us here were the same.

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

Quote Originally Posted by Pull~My~Hair
    when I was 14-15 I rented the movie KIDS and my parents raised hell at the local video store, I still to this day havent watched it lol. My parents alwasy watched a movie before theyd allow me to watch it, they screened sex and drugs, but not violence, which is strange because now that im older I totally perfer sex and drugs to violence any day.

Kids is a loathsome movie, with a lame plot, and wholly unsympathetic characters, and I suspect it is borderline illegal. I wish I could have back the hour and a half I spent in the theater on that flick.

Nudemuse's Avatar Queen of all Fatassia.

Quote Originally Posted by AmeliaG
    Kids is a loathsome movie, with a lame plot, and wholly unsympathetic characters, and I suspect it is borderline illegal. I wish I could have back the hour and a half I spent in the theater on that flick.
    I felt the same way. I remember it being so hyped up and all my snooty film buff friends were all aflutter over it. If I hadn't paid 8 dollars to see it I'd have walked out.

mmmcherry's Avatar CHERRALICIOUS!!!

my parents never really tried to censor me... i only remember one time when there was some movie on tv, some old west movie or something, and theyd seen it before evidentely, cause they wouldnt let me look at the tv when the one scene came on where there was like 300 slaughtered and skinned buffaloes just layin around :S
    not that id want to see that anyways, thats pretty sick...

i was always a good reader though, id read pretty much anything i could get my hands on... read almost everything stephen king wrote by the time i was 15... i remember reading "IT" when i was 11 or so... some parts scared the hell out of me, but mostly it was like... okay i know that shit aint gonna happen to me...
    "cujo" really scared me tho... im not afraid of dogs, but... could happen!!
    oh man and "the girl who loved tom gordon" REALLY freaked me out... i would so be the one that gets hopelessly lost in the forest haha!

Pull~My~Hair's Avatar makes your life seem good

Quote Originally Posted by AmeliaG
    wow! thats good to know lol

Exiled

Wasn't allowed to have those little plastic army men for quite a while. No toy guns either and we never really watched tv.

On the other hand i was given no end of lego, and encouraged to read everything i could lay my little hands on.

damn did i always want a toy gun though, i remember when my aunt illicitly bought me a pair of plastic cowboy pistols. I was happy as fuck.

My parents were strict about a lot of things, but were pretty liberal about the tv, movies, and music. My parents were adamently anti censorship. Growing up in rural TN many churches would go on bok burning and record burning kicks. My mom yanked us our of two different churches for this reason. She explained that she may not agree with some of the content, but that was some one's art that they created and we had no right to destroy it. I am very grateful and respect my parents a lot for raising me the way they did.

Te only thing they hid from me was the sex manuals, but I found them as I was a nosey little fucker. I'm still using technique I read about in the Masters and Johnson A to Z of Sex!

mmmcherry's Avatar CHERRALICIOUS!!!

A to Z of sex! share!!! hehee! ... maybe in the other forum heh...

i had a friend that used to buy a whole bunch of little green army men... put them up in battle scenes on a cookie tray and stick them inthe oven.
    horrible.

but its always the toys we dont have that we want remember? hehe nobody wants the toys we actually HAVE!

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

if it came in a book it was all good, but no TV in the house, had to go to the grandparents for that

+ Reply to Thread