+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Is anyone else an insomniac?

DharmaLion's Avatar Devil's Advocate

Default Is anyone else an insomniac?

...and if so, what kinds of things do you do to try and work around it?
    I don't have it often, but when I do it goes on for days at a time and it makes for very, very long work weeks.

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

Default Re: Is anyone else an insomniac?

I used to. I didn't do anything about it, i just got shitty sleep. but I think it was stress induced, as it sometimes comes back. I just reached a higher leval of consciousness, so now I am master of my will, and I don't let things get me down. wish I could offer some better advice then that. maybe relaxing meditation? whether you beleive in any of the spiritual aspects of it (I don't) it is a good way to get in tune with your body and and relieve some tension.

other than that drugs work. I usually just suck it up, and then feel like shit the next day, but it leaves me exhausted enough that I am able to sleep. but yeah, they should offer a whole bunch of things to aid with that that won't leave you feeling groggy the next morning.

Camby Savelle's Avatar Stars shaped like hearts

Well it's almost 5 AM & I'm still up sinse about 8:20 AM yesterday. because I had a job interview & now I have a job. my shift will be 11PM - 7AM, so I guess it's safe to say I will once again be an insomniac.

and your little dog too

a friend of mine is taking Ambien and says it works well, but i think i would hate it

One Eyed Cat's Avatar Senior Member

I tend to keep 20 hour days. The best advice I have is to keep busy, make a list of *everything* u wish to accomplish and set daily goals. Insomnia is brutal and will inevitably cause difficulties. You have to work around it. I believe it is due to a natural attunement. Don't bother with drugs.

OEC

MistressJennifer's Avatar Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by karyn
    a friend of mine is taking Ambien and says it works well, but i think i would hate it

Ambien is so horrible!! My friend fell into a cellar and was in intensive care for a week because he took Ambien. It makes you really stupid and fat and clumsy.

But yes, I am an insomniac. Especially when I have something exciting to do the next day, I always get up really early, drink tea and watch Vampire films. Vampires understand insomnia, and they are kind of soothing... I light the candles, and watch darling, gorgeous Christopher Lee seducing some blonde lovely!! Sigh...

And I get a lot done when I can't sleep. I take care of little things I need to do. Try on outfits. Pay bills. Send Christmas cards.

morbid_lady's Avatar Senior Member

i do the whole multiplication chart in my head, it takes me back to math class...my nap time...

what do you mean that vampires understand insomnia? they sleep all day long. now mummies, they understand insomnia!

Quote Originally Posted by Morning Glory
    what do you mean that vampires understand insomnia? they sleep all day long. now mummies, they understand insomnia!
    insomnia means u cant sleep at night...

Kidthorazine's Avatar hippiepotsmoker

im an insomniac big time on a good night i get to sleep by 2 but thats only when im tired

katzen's Avatar Junior Member

is there such a thing as sporadic insomnia? if there is, that's what i am.

Quote Originally Posted by morbid_lady
    really? I was under the impression that insomnia was any number of sleeping irregularities including someone who suddenly wakes up from sleep at a given point for seemingly no reason without going through the full sleep cycle, as well as people who do get a full night's sleep but don't get good REM sleep, and will feel tired still after waking up. not being able to sleep at night isn't that big of a deal, I mean at least you're getting sleep. I know lots of people that work the graveyard shift ( the shift generally between the hours of 11pm- 7 am)

katzen's Avatar Junior Member

Morning Glory
    the nexus of crisis and the origin of storms
    Originally Posted by morbid_lady

really? I was under the impression that insomnia was any number of sleeping irregularities including someone who suddenly wakes up from sleep at a given point for seemingly no reason without going through the full sleep cycle, as well as people who do get a full night's sleep but don't get good REM sleep, and will feel tired still after waking up. not being able to sleep at night isn't that big of a deal, I mean at least you're getting sleep. I know lots of people that work the graveyard shift ( the shift generally between the hours of 11pm- 7 am)

Sleep Apnea
    is a disorder of breathing during sleep. Typically it is accompanied by loud snoring. Apnea during sleep consist of brief periods [B]throughout the night in which breathing stops. People with sleep apnea do not get enough oxygen during sleep.

Insomnia
    :
    Difficulty falling asleep
    No problem falling asleep but difficulty staying asleep (many awakenings)
    Waking up too early
    Narcolepsy Basic Information
    Some people, no matter how much they sleep, continue to experience a irresistible need to sleep. People with narcolepsy can fall asleep while at work, talking, and driving a car for example. These "sleep attacks" can last from 30 seconds to more than 30 minutes. They may also experience periods of cataplexy (loss of muscle tone) ranging from a slight buckling at the knees to a complete, "rag doll" limpness throughout the body.
    Sleepwalking (Somnambulism)
    is a series of complex behaviors that are initiated during slow wave sleep and result in walking during sleep.
    Sleep Terrors
    are characterized by a sudden arousal from slow wave sleep with a piercing scream or cry, accompanied by autonomic (Controlled by the part of the nervous system that regulates motor functions of the heart, lungs, etc.) and behavioral manifestations of intense fear. Also known as Pavor Nocturnus, incubus, severe autonomic discharge, night terror.
    Sleep Bruxism
    is a stereotyped movement disorder characterized by grinding or clenching of the teeth during sleep. The disorder has also been identified as nocturnal bruxism, nocturnal tooth-grinding and nocturnal tooth-clenching.
    Fibromyalgia
    is a disorder involving chronic pain in your muscles, ligaments and tendons. Fibromyalgia is also known as Fibromyositsis, rheumatic pain modulation disorder or Fibrositis Syndrome.
    Hypersomnia
    is excessive sleepiness. It is an excessively deep or prolonged major sleep period. It may be associated with difficulty in awakening. It is believed to be caused by the central nervous system and can be associated with a normal or prolonged major sleep episode and excessive sleepiness consisting of prolonged (1-2 hours) sleep episodes of non-REM sleep.

HempKnight's Avatar Large Member

Well... it is 4:40 in the morning...

I have never slept well if at all at night... have always preferred to sleep during the day (if even possible then) but there have been periods of several weeks where I have not slept whatsoever and it's been that way for years.

If it's possible to be a narcoleptic insominac, I've been one... not sleeping for a month with the exception of an instant nap where ever I happen to be for a period and then right back up and at it.

I find than a nice tall Chivas and a fatty of dank bud help with restful sleep most times.... not all about the OTC or prescription drugs, been that route... never again.

Quote Originally Posted by HempKnight
    Well... it is 4:40 in the morning...

I have never slept well if at all at night... have always preferred to sleep during the day (if even possible then) but there have been periods of several weeks where I have not slept whatsoever and it's been that way for years.

If it's possible to be a narcoleptic insominac, I've been one... not sleeping for a month with the exception of an instant nap where ever I happen to be for a period and then right back up and at it.

I find than a nice tall Chivas and a fatty of dank bud help with restful sleep most times.... not all about the OTC or prescription drugs, been that route... never again.
    What you suffered from could have been CFIDS or CFS which is characterized most commonly by a combination of inability to sleep properly and sudden irresistible need to sleep as well as by multiple acquired chemical sensitivities and a "cold" that just never quite goes away.

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Nope...but then again I prefer to think the sun out is for sleeping and sun down is for living.

Quote Originally Posted by Morning Glory
    i've worked that shift more than a few times, its a shitty shift, but we get extra money and free food, so its alright. it'd be alot better if it werent for the creeps who come in around 3am.

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

I'm feeling a bit insomniac tonight. I was asleep.

Scarlett1313's Avatar Member

When my depression gets the best of me...sometimes I am up more and sometimes I sleep more...makes no sense what-so-ever, but when i wasn't working I was I would stay up till like 4-6am and go to sleep all day until 1-3pm and never get up to look for a job....that was wrong of me then and I had everyone on my case because...."you should had been up early looking for a job...early bird catches the worm!" shit, well i am no early to bed....early to riser...haha

HempKnight's Avatar Large Member

Quote Originally Posted by mollycase
    What you suffered from could have been CFIDS or CFS which is characterized most commonly by a combination of inability to sleep properly and sudden irresistible need to sleep as well as by multiple acquired chemical sensitivities and a "cold" that just never quite goes away.

Very possible... but as a kid I never slept well because of night terrors and other environmental factors, being a teen alcoholic and an adult addict (100k+ a year coke habit as well as handfuls of downers) never helped my sleep patterns either.

Being an EMT and then a business owner... stress and long hours fucked my schedule up for years, nothing like working a 12 to 36 hour 'day', but I going with the findings of THIS study... I figure I should live forever then

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

I'm not insomniac. My neighbor's dog is.

+ Reply to Thread