+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Silicon SkyScrapers

One Eyed Cat's Avatar Senior Member

Default Silicon SkyScrapers

Cosmetic Surgeries Rose 44 Percent in 2004

Thursday, February 17, 2005

By Jennifer Warner

A flood of reality television shows and media coverage on plastic surgery (search) and cosmetic procedures (search) may have inspired millions to opt for the growing array of face- and figure-enhancing options now available.

A new report shows the number of surgical and nonsurgical cosmetic procedures performed in the U.S. rose by 44 percent in 2004 to nearly 11.9 million.

The biggest increase in 2004 was in nonsurgical cosmetic procedures, including wrinkle-erasing injections of Botox (search). Nonsurgical procedures such as Botox, laser hair removal (search), and chemical peels (search) rose by 51 percent over the previous year.

Plastic surgeries such as liposuction (search), breast augmentation, and facelifts grew by 17 percent.

"I believe at least some of this upward trend may be attributable to increased media coverage of plastic surgery in 2004," says Peter Fodor, MD, president of the American Society for Aesthetic and Plastic Surgery, which compiled the report. "People have had many more opportunities to see firsthand what plastic surgery is like and what it can do for others."

Liposuction and Botox were the most popular plastic surgeries and nonsurgical cosmetic procedures, respectively, performed in 2004, but the popularity of various procedures varied slightly between men and women.

Top 2004 Surgical and Nonsurgical Cosmetic Procedures Overall:

Plastic Surgeries:

Liposuction: 478,251; Breast augmentation: 334,052; Eyelid surgery: 290,343; Rhinoplasty: 166,187; Facelift: 157,061

Nonsurgical Cosmetic Procedures:

Laser hair removal: 1,411,899; Chemical peel: 1,110,401; Microdermabrasion: 1,098,316; Hyaluronic acid (Hylaform, Restylane): 882,469

Top Cosmetic Procedures Among Women:

Plastic Surgeries:

Liposuction: 416,614; Breast augmentation: 334,052; Eyelid surgery: 249,293; Tummy Tuck: 145,315; Facelift: 145,240

Botox: 2,525,430; Laser hair removal: 1,215,052; Microdermabrasion: 999,095; Chemical peel: 977,277; Hyaluronic acid (Hylaform, Restylane): 838,917

Top Cosmetic Procedures Among Men:

Plastic Surgeries:

Liposuction: 61,638; Eyelid surgery: 41,050; Rhinoplasty: 38,989; Male breast reduction: 19,636; Hair transplantation: 19,503

Botox injection: 311,916; Laser hair removal: 196,847; Chemical peel: 133,124; microdermabrasion: 99,221; Laser skin resurfacing: 69,427

Trends in Cosmetic Procedures

Women accounted for 90 percent of all cosmetic procedures in 2004, and the number of cosmetic procedures performed on women increased by 49 percent compared with 2003. Plastic surgeries increased by 21 percent and nonsurgical procedures rose by 57 percent.

Among men, the number of overall cosmetic procedures rose by 8 percent, although the number of plastic surgeries declined by 11 percent.

Researchers say nearly half of cosmetic procedures were performed in a doctor’s office, nearly 30 percent in freestanding surgical facilities, and 24 percent in hospitals.

Americans spent just under $12.5 billion on cosmetic procedures, with $7.7 billion spent on plastic surgery and $4.7 billion on nonsurgical cosmetic procedures.

By Jennifer Warner, reviewed by Brunilda Nazario, MD

SOURCE: News release, American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery.

23*'s Avatar Stranger than fiction
    Ireland With the Leprechauns and the little people.

Default Re: Silicon SkyScrapers

shows about cosmetic surgery like SWANS make me sick SICK

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

From a cyberpunk, mind-over-matter, my-will-is-law perspective, I think cosmetic surgery is awesome. I always find it humorous that people who would think nothing of a tummy tuck will turn their reshaped noses up at a nice backpiece or facial piercing and vice-versa. Given that I almost died just getting my wisdom teeth out and could remember a bunch of the surgery afterwards, I tend to doubt I will ever personally electively get surgery. I think that being educated about one's options is terrific and some of those shows do teach people that they don't have to live with something that is making them unhappy. On the other hand, I am totally creeped out by a show like the Swan one where, as I perhaps misunderstand it, people leave their future appearance in the hands of others and find out three months later whether the other people have taste which meshes with their own aesthetics.

One Eyed Cat's Avatar Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by AmeliaG
    From a cyberpunk, mind-over-matter, my-will-is-law perspective, I think cosmetic surgery is awesome. I always find it humorous that people who would think nothing of a tummy tuck will turn their reshaped noses up at a nice backpiece or facial piercing and vice-versa. Given that I almost died just getting my wisdom teeth out and could remember a bunch of the surgery afterwards, I tend to doubt I will ever personally electively get surgery. I think that being educated about one's options is terrific and some of those shows do teach people that they don't have to live with something that is making them unhappy. On the other hand, I am totally creeped out by a show like the Swan one where, as I perhaps misunderstand it, people leave their future appearance in the hands of others and find out three months later whether the other people have taste which meshes with their own aesthetics.
    My brother in law is a Plastic Surgeon, I hope the number keeps going up I want my nieces and nephews to go to private schools Personally, I'd go for more utilitarian type elective surgeries: lasik, cosmetic dentistry. I might reconsider if I start aging rapidly or something

OEC

Quote Originally Posted by AmeliaG

Yuppers. Technically (if not culturally), doesn't it all fall under the term "body modification?"

How about a show called The Alt. Swan hehe... Take a blank canvas, pierce it, ink it, see how it comes out

memorydream's Avatar Sage

Oops, Narcissus, now don't pollute the world with those Republican-Me-Me-Me my body won't rot for a century even if buried in acid.

Ellis's Avatar Kuwabara Kuwabara

*shudders*
    I think humans are fucked up enough genetically without throwing staples and stitches into the mix. Surgery should be ocrrective, not elective.(oh, wow, all I need is a picket sign) Its scary that people alter their features to such an extent where their children dont recognize the shape of their face. Ugh. That and robots are two things i cant stand.

Quote Originally Posted by Ellis
    *shudders*
    I think humans are fucked up enough genetically without throwing staples and stitches into the mix. Surgery should be ocrrective, not elective.(oh, wow, all I need is a picket sign) Its scary that people alter their features to such an extent where their children dont recognize the shape of their face. Ugh. That and robots are two things i cant stand.
    You hate robots?!? Why? Is it an R2-D2 thing? Because I understand that!

Ellis's Avatar Kuwabara Kuwabara

I will make an extended post about this in the future. This is a really really deep-seated hatred. You will most likely be shocked

Quote Originally Posted by Ellis
    I will make an extended post about this in the future. This is a really really deep-seated hatred. You will most likely be shocked
    Well, as long as you promise to throw in lots of offensive material and irrational discontent, I'm all ears!

Evilbink's Avatar Sanctimonious Satyr

Personally, i dont think that there is anything wrong with body modification in any aspect. The reason dosent matter, if it makes you feel better or empowered, then why not. People have done it forever, why justify the modern aspects and treat them any different. Tattoos, piercings or boob jobs, who cares.

It's just not my preference to be what I'm not or leave myself a managled plastic mess. I've already argued about it before. I just not a "me-me-me" person and I accept that others aren't, may never be and will be reincarnated with the same beliefs over and over again. Ho-hum, I guess.

+ Reply to Thread