+ Reply to Thread

Thread: do you think cheating is wrong.........in games?

malcolm's Avatar the bored one.

Default do you think cheating is wrong.........in games?

walk throughs,
    codes,
    up up down down left right left right b a b a select start.......

do you cheat at games sometimes or are youa video game purist who believes only noobs cheat?

nathanmbailey's Avatar Batteries not included

Default Re: do you think cheating is wrong.........in games?

I try to make it through the game without cheats the first time or two through, usually on normal or easy and then on hard. After that, hells yeah I start putting in cheats, just to see what cool stuff I can do, especially racing games or games like Tony Hawk where you get to do rediculously awesome shit.

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

life's too short to be stuck on a stupid part of a videogame

i concur. and if you're a dampire there's never a greater phrase when going through a flooded cemetery than "don't fart on oscar."

i dont think i could have beaten bloodrayne without that one.

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

I see that somebody has been getting infinite continues in Sonic the Hedgehog.

I usually only use cheats to enhance game-play, rather then to beat the game. such as rocket launchers in resident evil, very fun to blow up zombies! but then again, one of the challenges of those games was to try to beat them on a lack of ammo and inferior weaponry, so you could argue that is no fair.

I draw the distinction at whether it skips significant portions of the game, such as level select, and makes it so there is no challenge, such as invincibility where you can't be killed or otherwise fail to complete the level.

I don't really approve of using cheats to complete ranks of merit in games.

I am however a fan of trying to exploit glitches and flaws in the programming of codes that allow you to do things that were unintended by the programmers. For instance in the game Perfect Dark there is a level that requires you to traverse a building from it's top floor down to the basement, which can be done as fast as humanely possible in no less than 1:00. But a popular glitch allows the player to jump through a wall and fall outside of the building, where they may then pass back through the wall before hitting the ground and dying, and if you are skilled enough you can navigate this to wind up exactly in the spot needed to complete the level, in a maxed out time of 6 seconds (hindered only by the games internal sense of terminal velocity)- which is upheld as satisfactory among gamers that try to complete video games in the fastest possible times.

I guess it's because often these glitches are a sign of merit in themselves as they are often very difficult to execute, moreso than just playing the game in the conventional way.

what? the up up down down code? lol that's like the old school skeleton key for videogames.

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

yeah. wasn't that the old konami code that worked for contra and all of thier games?

ForrestBlack's Avatar Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by malcolm
    walk throughs,
    codes,
    up up down down left right left right b a b a select start.......

do you cheat at games sometimes or are youa video game purist who believes only noobs cheat?
    I think hacking a game so that you have 255 helicopters or whatever can add to the fun sometimes, but that generally only goes for solo games.

I'm not much for infinite money, invulnerability or 9999 damage kind of cheats, but I often mod the game or my character files to make things I want possible that aren't in the game. Change the color of an armor, stop a certain weapon being randomly restricted from a certain class, fix an otherwise fun NPC's debilitating vulnerability, combine synergistic abilities from otherwise mutually exclusive character paths, that sort of thing.

In a single player game, do whatever is fun. I am a content junkie, so I usually try to run games once without cheats and walk-throughs, but if we are totally honest, sometimes the stuff between you and the rest of the content is just no fun. I mean, cheating at solitaire seems pointless to me, but if it makes it fun for you knock yourself out.

It 's only in multiplayer games where cheating is bad imho. when it can ruin someone's fun besides yours. Now if you and another player are playing a deathmatch, and think unlimited rockets are fun then it is again your call. Also, cheating to unlock content for multiplayer when you have your friends over to play rock band or what have you, that's cool too.

Dusk's Avatar Senior Member

Depends on your idea of cheating. I play Grandchase and one of the characters is an archer who, when they shoot you you cant move, and can shoot fast enough so you will die with out being able to do anything about it. With this king of thing there are 2 types of people: people who think this counts as spamming and people who think its fair (who are also the people who use this person).

I dont normally use cheats unless Im bored and wanna have fun or have finished the game already, but I might use a walk through if im really stuck

Quote Originally Posted by Morning Glory
    yeah. wasn't that the old konami code that worked for contra and all of thier games?
    i think so. it gave you like a hundred lives on contra and shit.
    contra kicked ass.

soma_stardust's Avatar ~soul-eating model~

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Karl
    life's too short to be stuck on a stupid part of a videogame

i play games to have fun, not to get frustrated.

+ Reply to Thread