+ Reply to Thread

Thread: study, conducted by Universal Orlando Resort, showed workers are in 'Vacation Crisis'

and your little dog too

Default study, conducted by Universal Orlando Resort, showed workers are in 'Vacation Crisis'

from click on detroit

Study: America's Workers In 'Vacation Crisis'
    Sacramento Workers Take Most Vacation Days

ORLANDO, Fla. -- Have you made vacation plans yet?

A new study suggests many U.S. workers have not and will not, leaving their vacation time unused.

The study, conducted by Universal Orlando Resort, showed that workers are in the midst of a self-imposed vacation crisis.

About half of the nation's full-time workers did not use all of the vacation days they earned in the past year, forfeiting an average of eight vacation days each -- nearly half of the number of days available to them, the study found.

"Can you imagine your reaction if you were told in a job interview that you were expected to work eight days each year for free?” said Tom Williams, Chairman and CEO of Universal Parks and Resorts. "That’s what about half of the American workforce is doing."

The vacation sacrifices are the equivalent of more than 3 million years of unused vacation each year, according to the study.

"Ultimately, though, it’s not just about whether you’re taking full advantage of your compensation and benefits. It’s about whether you’re taking full advantage of life," said Williams.

The study found that where you live makes a big difference in whether you use your vacation time.

Full-time workers who live in Newark, N.J. received and took the least amount of time off, while workers in Sacramento, Calif., received and took the most vacation days.

Bert Sperling, of Sperling's Best Places, helped conduct the study. He said the top-ranking cities for unused vacation are in areas that have higher unemployment rates.

"Areas with shaky economies tend to have businesses which have more control over their workers,” said Sperling. "The implication might be that workers who have job security concerns want to be seen as indispensable to their employers; taking vacation -- in their minds -- would undermine that, " he added.

Vacation Deprivation

Here's the top 10 list of cities where workers take the fewest vacation days.

Newark, N.J.
    Miami
    Bergen-Passaic, N.J.
    San Antonio
    Atlanta
    Austin – San Marcos, Texas
    Charlotte – Gastonia – Rock Hill, N.C.
    Philadelphia
    Houston
    New York

Vacation Elation

Here’s the top 10 list of cities where workers take the most vacation.

Sacramento, Calif.
    Nashville, Tenn.
    Seattle – Bellevue- Everett, Wash.
    Oakland, Calif.
    San Jose, Calif.
    Riverside – San Bernardino, Calif.
    Portland – Vancouver, Ore.
    Salt Lake City – Ogden, Utah
    Columbus, Ohio
    Denver

Expert: All Work, No Play Harmful

Vacation advocate and author of "Work to Live: The Guide to Getting a Life," Joe Robinson, said workers who leave vacation days on the table aren’t doing themselves -- or their employers -- any favors.

"The study reinforces the sad fact that our workaholic culture looks down on people taking their well-earned vacation time, when, in fact, the science shows that job performance increases after a vacation, because you come back recharged and rejuvenated," said Robinson.

"Time off is medicine. It’s as important to your health as watching your cholesterol or getting exercise. An annual vacation can cut the risk of heart disease in men by 30 percent and in women by 50 percent," he added.

Here are Robinson's top five tips to get the vacation you deserve:

Don't wait until it's too late. Start thinking about what you want to do on your holiday at least six months ahead of time. Planning ahead commits the boss -- and you -- to the vacation, so it’s less likely to be postponed or scrapped at the last minute.

Cross-train your colleagues. Train a colleague or two on your job so they can fill in some of your tasks while you’re gone. You’ll do the same for them. Cross-training is the secret to long vacations in Europe.

Cut the e-leash. Set up your e-mail with an "out of office" tag, and don’t let any laptops, pagers or other work devices stow away with you. If you’re in touch with the office, you’re not on vacation.

Don’t Abbreviate. Push for all the time you can get. Three-day weekends are fine, but they’re not vacations.

Unpack Before You Go. Leave behind the productive work mind set and the guilt that goes with it. Vacations are not about output; they’re about input – exploring, learning, experiencing, relaxing.

killerkat's Avatar Malice?

Default Re: study, conducted by Universal Orlando Resort, showed workers are in 'Vacation Crisis'

i used to live in orlando....

my mother didn't have a vaction for 40 years.....now when i go visit her,she says she's bored all day,and only works 2 days a week,haha.....

Default Re: study, conducted by Universal Orlando Resort, showed workers are in 'Vacation Crisis'

American corporate culture does not exactly help prod people into taking vacations. Everything is about bottom line and productivity. Even the concept of coporate work/life balance programs are a hoax. It ends up being work/work balance. Take for example, telecommuting. Sure, you get to work from home which means you'll probably work from home all the time -- most people I know work more hours telecommuting than on site! Great balance!

I think because so many people "ARE their jobs" in this country that they don't see the point of doing anything else. i.e. how often do you meet somebody for the first time and the first thing they as is "what do you do?" I hate that... okay, so I'm a little bias as I just left corporate life and am taking a summer vacation for the first time in about 11 years. It feels frickin' awesome.

Default Re: study, conducted by Universal Orlando Resort, showed workers are in 'Vacation Cri

As much as I agree with the idea of the study it annoys me that the study is sponsored by Universal Resorts. In other words it is a comercial disguised as news. Considering what I have heard from various resort and hotel workers in the past I would be cusious to know if Universal practices what they preach. Do they push thier own employees to use all thier vacation days? How many people do they employ who do not qualify for vacation days? Or are they just pushing people who can afford Universal Resorts to take thier vacations?

Regardless of this, they are right and I need to go on a vacation. Just not to Orlando.

And now, a gratuitous emoticon.

Default Re: study, conducted by Universal Orlando Resort, showed workers are in 'Vacation Cri

Quote Originally Posted by johnny
    I think because so many people "ARE their jobs" in this country that they don't see the point of doing anything else. i.e. how often do you meet somebody for the first time and the first thing they as is "what do you do?" I hate that...
    Very true. People tend to define themselves by their jobs, rather than by their personal interests and direction. I don't derive a sense of identity from what I do, that's for sure. I'm a middle manager by day. I do it because I need the money, not because it resonates with my soul.

Quote Originally Posted by johnny
    okay, so I'm a little bias as I just left corporate life and am taking a summer vacation for the first time in about 11 years. It feels frickin' awesome.
    Excellent...congrats. Corporate life can be rather phony.

+ Reply to Thread