+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Boy in court on terror charges for owning Anarchists' Cookbook

and your little dog too

Default Boy in court on terror charges for owning Anarchists' Cookbook

from bbc

A British teenager who is accused of possessing material for terrorist purposes has appeared in court.

The 17-year-old, who was arrested in the Dewsbury area of West Yorkshire on Monday, was given bail after a hearing at Westminster Magistrates' Court.

It is alleged he had a copy of the "Anarchists' Cookbook", containing instructions on how to make home-made explosives.

His next court hearing has been set for 25 October.

The teenager faces two charges under the Terrorism Act 2000.

The first charge relates to the possession of material for terrorist purposes in October last year.

The second relates to the collection or possession of information useful in the preparation of an act of terrorism.

He stood in the dock wearing a baggy, blue hooded top and only spoke to confirm his name and date of birth.

After the 40-minute hearing, the teenager was released on bail under several conditions.

A second 17-year-old who is facing similar charges has already been remanded in custody and will also appear at the Crown Court on 25 October.

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

Default Re: Boy in court on terror charges for owning Anarchists' Cookbook

there's lots worse out there than the 'anarchists cookbook'

those fuckin' commie brits.... we shoulda nuke 'em way back in '76. or '12

Jotun's Avatar Junior Member

I wonder if they realize how easily that information is accessed through the Internet.

That is crazy. They would have had to arrest everyone in my high school if anyone had cared about that.

ForrestBlack's Avatar Administrator

Half the stuff in that book hardly works anyway.

When was the last time anybody saw anybody use black/orange/red/rainbow boxes with 28.8 modems and MacGuyver string? I have to agree with Forrest here..not much of anything in it works nowadays. I think the kid just grabbed it off a torrent, tried to impress his friends, lest be known that it was written when he was just a twinkle in his daddies eye.

they went back, and tweaked all the chemical reaction info so it hasn't been viable since at least the 80's if not before then...

What the fuck.

Kidthorazine's Avatar hippiepotsmoker

yeah none of the phreaking/hacking stuff works anymore (even if you built a blue box, it wouldn't work on any phone line in the US and I doubt anywhere else either except for maybe less developed countries)

and some of those bomb recipes are really really dangerous (the one for making nitroglycerin is spot on but making nitroglycerin yourself is a really really bad idea) and several of them either don't work or it's almost impossible/is illegal to get the materials for them.

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

besides if a kids smart and pays attention in class you learn all that in science and shop classes anyway

He also had a GIGANTIC ARSENAL OF GUNS and knives.

The Anarchist Cookbook, Mein Kampf, the story of the Columbine shooting and a hand painted nazi flag. Thought control is fucking bad and I should be able to own a library of nazi and snuff books if I so desire..but they believe their was a problem with criminal intent.

ForrestBlack's Avatar Administrator

What should society do with someone who is kind of clearly a whack job but hasn't really broken the law? I mean, if this guy had illegal guns, I get that, but the red flag I've-got-issues memorabilia? At least 90% of me feels like he should just be left alone, and that's probably a particularly old school American perspective, but there is a nagging part that says some of these things should be taken as some kind of warning. Maybe I'm just being brainwashed by the media these days and really freedom is freedom. I mean, the right kind of help could be a good thing, but the wrong kind could certainly be disastrous.

Quote Originally Posted by ForrestBlack
    What should society do with someone who is kind of clearly a whack job but hasn't really broken the law? I mean, if this guy had illegal guns, I get that, but the red flag I've-got-issues memorabilia? At least 90% of me feels like he should just be left alone, and that's probably a particularly old school American perspective, but there is a nagging part that says some of these things should be taken as some kind of warning. Maybe I'm just being brainwashed by the media these days and really freedom is freedom. I mean, the right kind of help could be a good thing, but the wrong kind could certainly be disastrous.
    Well owning alot of hate literature and dangerous texts should put up some warning flags. My friends and I all played around with the Anarchist Cookbook and made napalm in the back yard, discussed traps etc but it was all fantasy to us. An attempt to discern a persons mental state should atleast be made by family, friends etc. Being able to discern if the persons just curious or really is messed up is another problem all together though.

+ Reply to Thread