+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Having 14 kids, homeschooling them, and locking woman up is how we make Christs Army!

Default Having 14 kids, homeschooling them, and locking woman up is how we make Christs Army!

http://www.alternet.org/story/44254/

When the Gospel Community Church in Coxsackie, New York, breaks midservice to excuse children for Sunday school, nearly half of the 225-strong congregation patters toward the back of the worship hall: the five youngest children of Pastor Stan Slager's eight, assistant pastor Bartly Heneghan's eleven and the Dufkin family's thirteen, among many others. "The Missionettes," a team of young girls who perform ribbon dances during the praise music, put down their "glory hoops" to join their classmates; the pews empty out. It's the un-ignorable difference between the families at Gospel Community and those in the rest of the town that's led some to wonder if the church isn't a cult that forces its disciples to keep pushing out children.

But after the kids leave, Pastor Stan doesn't exhort his congregation to bear children. His approach is more subtle, reminding them to present their bodies as living sacrifices to the Lord, and preaching to them about Acts 5:20: Go tell "all the words of this life." Or, in Pastor Stan's guiding translation, to lead lives that make outsiders think, "Christianity is real," lives that "demand an explanation."

Lives such as these: Janet Wolfson is a 44-year-old mother of eight in Canton, Georgia. Tracie Moore, a 39-year-old midwife who lives in southern Kentucky, is mother to fourteen. Wendy Dufkin in Coxsackie has her thirteen. And while Jamie Stoltzfus, a 27-year-old Illinois mom, has only four children so far, she plans on bearing enough to populate "two teams." All four mothers are devoted to a way of life New York Times columnist David Brooks has praised as a new spiritual movement taking hold among exurban and Sunbelt families. Brooks called these parents "natalists" and described their progeny as a new wave of "Red-Diaper Babies" -- as in "red state."

-continued in link, it'd kinda long and scary-

---------------------------------------------------------------

""Quiverfull parents try to have upwards of six children. They home-school their families, attend fundamentalist churches and follow biblical guidelines of male headship -- "Father knows best" -- and female submissiveness. They refuse any attempt to regulate pregnancy.""

A great reason to reinforce me not wanting kids anymore. Why would I want to bring a child up in a world that supports that?

-rubs temples-

Default Re: Having 14 kids, homeschooling them, and locking woman up is how we make Christs Army!

""Quiverfull women are more than mothers. They're domestic warriors in the battle against what they see as forty years of destruction wrought by women's liberation: contraception, women's careers, abortion, divorce, homosexuality ""

what the fuck ;___;?

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

Default Re: Having 14 kids, homeschooling them, and locking woman up is how we make Christs Army!

Either Christ's Army or Children of the Corn. I'm cool with both.

wait no, actually just the second one.

Scar's Avatar Senior Member

[QUOTE=Velvet-Tongue

A great reason to reinforce me not wanting kids anymore. Why would I want to bring a child up in a world that supports that?

-rubs temples-[/QUOTE]

The world supports all sorts of things that are probably contrary to your beliefs. Although I certainly don't envy the children brought up by that lifestyle, I think there are a lot worse ways to be raised.... such as children subjected to ****, violence, neglect.... the world "supports" that too, in the sense that it happens all the time. Furthermore, in some society's children are put to work as ealry as age 5 (that's a guestimate) and spend their entire childhood working in slave labor conditions in order to survive.....

I agree with you that parents who raise their children as god's soldiers are super creepy but I dont think that's a reason not to have kids.....

All the other reasons you listed are good reasons to not have children either. I thought for awhile when I was a Muslim that having children was Gods will. What I did find out is that it's not Gods will, but enforced ignorance and fear's will. I then thought its a way to be remembered/to carry on my genes. However i'd rather be remembered for the deeds both good and bad I've done when alive as opposed to being remembered for the offspring that I had. The meek shall inherit the earth, but it won't be my meek that do.

the meek ,,,fyck i was hopin the Freak would inherit the earth... see readin is funndimental...but id be kool with the children of the horn ,,,opps,i ment Korn ,,ya corn ..

yeah i read this in the nation this week. prompted part of my reaction to these sickos.

... i mean, what do they plan to do, throw babies at us? "have your quiver full of babies ladies!!"

well, i guess we'll just have to try harder to corrupt them then won't we? i mean what red blooded 18 year old soldier of christ, is going to go for ttheir crap when faced with the likes of Scar 13, keiko, or any of the rest of the blue blood hotties!?!?

(answer:the gay ones, and christ don't want them anyhow... welcome aboard boys!!)

Default Re: Having 14 kids, homeschooling them, and locking woman up is how we make Christs A

lol

keiko's Avatar baker of geekery

oh my. jesus camp x 2.these are the ppl that ruin christianity for the rest of us. I mean 89% are oaky. that other 11% piss me off.

K

That got a giggle outta me, Buster Friendly.

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

what do I know about christians...took my truck to one to get the fuel filter fixed and left whith no brakes, still trying to figure out the symbolic significance of that one

Scar's Avatar Senior Member

Velet Tongue, those are all reasons for ass holes and ignorant people not to have children. People who subject their children to abuse should not have children.

Don't get me wrong, I believe it's your own choice if you want kids, I'm certainly not trying to convince you to do it nor am I even certain if I want any....

all I'm saying is that is more people who treated children well and cared for them and educated them had kids, then our future would be more promising. If the only one's left to breed are christs army, then inevitably one day our world will be full of those people instead of open minded free thinking individuals such as (hopefully) ourselves.

and that's just the crux of it though Scar- the more educated, intelligent, and reflective a person is, male, or female, the more satatistically likely they are to remain childless, or to have fewer children.

for example, you just stated that you're not sure whether or not you want to have children. the mere fact that you question this is proof that you are aware that women can have other options in life other than 13 kids... that comes with a certain level of education.

not that mothers are uneducated- it's just that in more affluent societies even women who choose to have children have fewer of them.

of all of the people in my circle of friends who actually consider having children (since many flat out refuse) none of us are convinced that we are ready for that responsibility, or that we'll necessarily make 'goood parents'. we all question it intensely.

if folks really want big families, there's always adoption. there are so many children out there that need loving parents... eech. even if they're christians...

LoraLie's Avatar i dont like clothes.

Wow this brings back memories.

I went with myg randmother and spent a week one summer with my Uncle (he's a preacher) and his family.

The kids went to school at church and all that jazz.

It was creepy.

But they are great kids. I see nothing wrong with it unless it is being well . . . forced ont he kid.

Then again . . . . ahhh I just

Why am I typing when I'm halfway awake.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Friendly
    and that's just the crux of it though Scar- the more educated, intelligent, and reflective a person is, male, or female, the more satatistically likely they are to remain childless, or to have fewer children.

for example, you just stated that you're not sure whether or not you want to have children. the mere fact that you question this is proof that you are aware that women can have other options in life other than 13 kids... that comes with a certain level of education.
    Exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by Velvet-Tongue
    Exactly.

What is happening now is just like Orwells 1984 said. We're developing a small cast of very intelligent educated people,and a horde of less educated/ignorant people. We have it great in America, but in places like the middle east where people are still stcuk in the biblical/quranic mindset , being forced to stay in it through fear and ignorance.

The people like those in the Quivver are hamstringing themselves intellectually; as are all those people who support them. Enforcing ignorance because it "feels good" is wrong. We should not support people like this with pleasentries or "Do whatever you want, its all good ^_^V"

We have woman now who're educated and understand that their place in life is more than sitting around making babies while waiting for her Husband to come home so she can go outside. Thats backwards, and my stint as a Muslim scares me alot because so many woman are being raised upon this idea, and for the most part cutting themselves off from ever gaining knowledge.

It's sick; and I see how wrong it is now. I would never want to aid in making a new life just to make myself feel manly, or genetically viable. I think its cruel to create even more life on this planet out of such selfish impulses.

TheQuietPlace's Avatar The Delivery Expert

Call me a retard or what have you, but after reading this like 3 times I found nothing that made me uncomfortable or pissed off. Am I missing something here?

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

well it is hard to make the psychic synthetic spirital generator called christianity work without lot's of people so naturaly they gotta make more

+ Reply to Thread