+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Freeze your self...

Default Freeze your self...

If you could freeze your self until sudden time when would you unfreeze your self.... when teleports get invented or when antigravity fields get invented..... or simply when Goth beccomes mainstream

Write any idea you come along with.....

(thank you Asmodeus on giving me inspiration for this thread )

grebo's Avatar Senior Member

Default Re: Freeze your self...

read one of the first transmetropolitan comics.
    its set in the future and in one story the frozen are being brought back to life. but basically you end up going loony cos your so out of date you cant cope with how the world is so you end up in a loony bin.

Evilbink's Avatar Sanctimonious Satyr

Futurama.......cool Bender robots and one eyed mutant chicks. Sign me up for all the Bachelor Chow I can eat, washed down with some Slurm.

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

naw that wasn't the point of the transmetropolitan comic. it was that the people in the future didn't give a shit about the people from the past and the only reason that they even bothered thawing them out was basically because the money payed to the company got passed down throughout time and the current owners who don't even run a cyrogenics business anymore did the absolute minimum amount of work, just so they could cash the check. they thawed the person out and then left them on thier own with no attempt to integrate them into society. it was sort of a commentary on immigration services.

Bondage Clown's Avatar Butter up da Goat

I would freeze my self until i could gwet off this rock, or until a better time on this earth.. (i.e. Brittany Spears died, and the Smurfs and the Snorks had mated... hmmmmm....)

TheDeathKnight's Avatar Senior Member

The best future world, is one where they can digitize the human mind.

Imagine the possibilities, if your mind, your thoughts, your memories, were able to be digitized...

You could make a back-up of yourself every day, in case you died in some accident.
    You could exist in a virtual world, if you wanted to.
    You could be placed in a robot body if you wanted.

It would be an amazing way to deal with population problems.
    Put people in digital storage, when they die.
    Then when we colonize some other planet,
    they could transfer your mind back into a new body.
    In the meantime, you could be in storage, or living in a virtual world,
    populated by all the other stored entities... It would also be a great
    way to deal with the long time it takes for space travel. Simply store
    people digitally, then clone them bodies when you get to the new planet.
    Let them control the ship with robots until then... The rest of the people
    can sleep until they get there...

keiko's Avatar baker of geekery

I dunno if I would freeze myself. The only reasons I can see to do such a thing are A) wait for them to cure what ever disease you were going to die of. B) If you did something that would change the world with time to see how it changed the world in a few centuries.

Mostly though I can see the same problems here as with actually becomming an imortal (vampire). Even as normal human beings by your thirties your likes and dislikes are pretty much cemented. You listen mainly to the records you bought when the band you liked was popular and most of your new clothes are imitations of your old ones. (I watched my parents do this.) When you get to your sixties you don't understand the new culture because it's based in technology you've never heard of and radical ideas that you disagree with. Imagine instead of dealing with only a life time of this confusion you got to deal with TWO. Say you get frozen for a thousand years and when you get unfrozen there aren't cars and planes but transport tubes and space ships. The theme park on the moon is 15 seconds away. Aliens and Cyclops' are in charge and people's heads float in jars. You get under wear ads in your dreams. Taken out of context it seems a little unnnerving doesn't it? You'd start longing for your fave brand of blue jeans and wonder what ever happened to peanut butter and bananna sandwiches as both peanuts and banannas are extinct. It might take a few weeks but you would slowly go insane. Every thing you knew and understood is gone, including the sports you played, the people you loved and the holidays you celebrated. No guide books available. It might take a year or so but eventually your brain would melt.

I'll stick to living in the time I was born into and maybe just try to live till the next one, that way I can see the changes as they happen rather then jump from one to the next.

K

Quote Originally Posted by keiko
    Say you get frozen for a thousand years and when you get unfrozen there aren't cars and planes but transport tubes and space ships. The theme park on the moon is 15 seconds away. Aliens and Cyclops' are in charge and people's heads float in jars. You get under wear ads in your dreams. Every thing you knew and understood is gone, including the sports you played, the people you loved and the holidays you celebrated.
    K
    Now I love you even more

Spaceman Spiff's Avatar a boy and his tiger

K makes makes a good argument against freezing, but Futurama is so entertaining...I've got it. I'll clone myself, freeze the clone me and live out the rest of my life. I will have left instructions for a team of scientists to do a study after my clone lives his life and dies, and the result will determine which would have been the better choice. And... so that was not a complete waste of time, which i'm sure your all thinking it would be right now... I will have one of them travel back in time, because its the future and they can do that, and tell me wether or not to freeze myself. GENIUS!!!
    ...thats not crazy...why are you all looking at me like I'm crazy...at least my friend television doesn't think so...WHAT??? you too TV...fine I'm fuckin' nuts.

LOL thx Spiff

I have to say...that Spiff has flown off his rocker. /salute

Well he's not a spaceman for nothing

Spaceman Spiff's Avatar a boy and his tiger

Quote Originally Posted by Evilbink
    LOL thx Spiff
    Thank YOU for listening (reading...whatever)! Because without you guys I'm just talkin' to myself...*looks around his unoccupied room*...*shrugs*...whell you get the point.

I actually already have a contract to be frozen.

As you mentioned, it's probably the only realistic way to be immortal.

And I have no fear of dissassociation with the future.
    I see it as a place of endless possibilities.
    Perhaps living on a different planet.
    Perhaps living in a virtual world, that you can create.
    Perhaps a place where you can live out any fantasies you like.
    Perhaps a world where you can create any kind of body you want.
    And not just a perfect human body, but any kind of body. Alien, animal, etc...
    I seem to adapt well to new things. So I'm not concerned about that.
    I'm not one of those people who gets stuck on the music I used to like,
    or the clothes I used to wear. I like new things...

And living forever sounds pretty fuckin' awesome to me.

Imagine if you lived in the 1500's, and got frozen back then,
    and were thawed today. It would seem like paradise. Lots less
    clothing on the opposite sex, easy to get food, much nicer shelter,
    warmth, air conditioning, cars, etc, etc... We all know that this world
    today has flaws. But to someone from the past, it would seem pretty awesome.
    My guess is that is how we would see the future. The people who live there,
    would think it has problems, but we would be very happy about the changes.
    Not having to deal with getting old, not having to worry about work, or money, etc...
    They might be complaining about the lack of enthusiasm in the latest HIV-free
    orgy party, but you would be happy just to be able to attend one... They might
    think the latest tattoos are lame, but you would be happy to be able to painlessly
    decorate yourself, and change it at any time... I think you would really enjoy the
    future, even if the "locals" did not... You would not be jaded. And if, after another
    lifetime in the future, you are bored with it, you can always be re-frozen, and have
    them wake you up even further in the future, and see if anything has changed. But
    even if you got totally bored with the future, there is no reason you couldn't just
    go off in the woods, and live life the way you want to live it. Even if that's a virtual
    world, you can still make it the way you want it to be... If life in the future will exist
    in a virtual reality, any reality you want to create, can be built. So if you want to live
    in a midevil castle, or a fantasy world, or anything, it can be done. I'm not saying
    that this will be what it will be like. But it might. And I think it won't be hard to make
    life better than it is now. We will look back on our century, with the same horror
    that we look back on the hardships of ancient times.

You forgot about the possibility of having sex with a beautiful purple alien with multiple breasts and tentacles.

You forgot about the possibility of having sex with a beautiful purple alien with multiple breasts and tentacles.

Didn't you get the memo... it is not PC to call them that...

They call themselves "Russell"

Hell yeah!

Quote Originally Posted by TheDeathKnight
    The best future world, is one where they can digitize the human mind.

Imagine the possibilities, if your mind, your thoughts, your memories, were able to be digitized...

You could make a back-up of yourself every day, in case you died in some accident.
    You could exist in a virtual world, if you wanted to.
    You could be placed in a robot body if you wanted.

It would be an amazing way to deal with population problems.
    Put people in digital storage, when they die.
    Then when we colonize some other planet,
    they could transfer your mind back into a new body.
    In the meantime, you could be in storage, or living in a virtual world,
    populated by all the other stored entities... It would also be a great
    way to deal with the long time it takes for space travel. Simply store
    people digitally, then clone them bodies when you get to the new planet.
    Let them control the ship with robots until then... The rest of the people
    can sleep until they get there...
    You've left out fact that even if you can copy you self digitaly your real you dies when your brain fysically dies.... yes, "you" will still be alive in other form but when your brain shuts down then who knows on which way your mind is gona evolve in it's new enviroinment....new circuits and posibilities to repair all those brain damage-amage-amage-amages, maybe +50 IQ for 200 credits monthly for 24 months but one is shure.... your real, firsth, original you dies when you die and that's end for you.... your backup will take over all your belongings and continue your life due to auto updated testament. That's of course if somehow homo sapiens survive trought years to come and find out a solution to move to another planet when he uses this one to the end.

Do we have enought time for that....? I don't care I'm only a small dot in this timeline. When does this time actualy ends? Yes, teoreticaly time stops at the speed of light... but that's teoreticaly and newest researches (this string stuff) showed that this teory is probably false... who knows.

The key is being able to transfer data from a biological storage unit (your brain), to a digital storage unit (computer). Once that hurdle is passed, anything is possible. We could create a collective memory, or a collective experience. We could share in other people's experiences and memories. If you worry about getting bored in the future, imagine being able to re-live and re-experience, anyone's life. Not to mention, that once you are a digital entity, you can live in any virtual world you want to create. Or in ones other people create. Think about all the online games people play now. It would be like that. You would see what they create for a world, and move around in it, and interact with other people. Just like games today. But much better graphics and sensations. A lot of people would not even care if they did not have a body. But for those who did want one, one could be grown, or a robot body could be used. Obviously, someone has to take care of maintaining the computers, protecting them, etc... But in a virtual world, resource useage is minimal. You could experience food, without actually eating any. All that would be needed, is disk space, processors, and power. So drain on the world's environment would be minimal. It would be a very environmentally friendly existence...

MistressJennifer's Avatar Senior Member

I actually already have a contract to be frozen.

As you mentioned, it's probably the only realistic way to be immortal.

And I have no fear of dissassociation with the future.
    I see it as a place of endless possibilities.
    Perhaps living on a different planet.
    Perhaps living in a virtual world, that you can create.
    Perhaps a place where you can live out any fantasies you like.
    Perhaps a world where you can create any kind of body you want.
    And not just a perfect human body, but any kind of body. Alien, animal, etc...
    I seem to adapt well to new things. So I'm not concerned about that.
    I'm not one of those people who gets stuck on the music I used to like,
    or the clothes I used to wear. I like new things...

And living forever sounds pretty fuckin' awesome to me.

Imagine if you lived in the 1500's, and got frozen back then,
    and were thawed today. It would seem like paradise. Lots less
    clothing on the opposite sex, easy to get food, much nicer shelter,
    warmth, air conditioning, cars, etc, etc... We all know that this world
    today has flaws. But to someone from the past, it would seem pretty awesome.
    My guess is that is how we would see the future. The people who live there,
    would think it has problems, but we would be very happy about the changes.
    Not having to deal with getting old, not having to worry about work, or money, etc...
    They might be complaining about the lack of enthusiasm in the latest HIV-free
    orgy party, but you would be happy just to be able to attend one... They might
    think the latest tattoos are lame, but you would be happy to be able to painlessly
    decorate yourself, and change it at any time... I think you would really enjoy the
    future, even if the "locals" did not... You would not be jaded. And if, after another
    lifetime in the future, you are bored with it, you can always be re-frozen, and have
    them wake you up even further in the future, and see if anything has changed. But
    even if you got totally bored with the future, there is no reason you couldn't just
    go off in the woods, and live life the way you want to live it. Even if that's a virtual
    world, you can still make it the way you want it to be... If life in the future will exist
    in a virtual reality, any reality you want to create, can be built. So if you want to live
    in a midevil castle, or a fantasy world, or anything, it can be done. I'm not saying
    that this will be what it will be like. But it might. And I think it won't be hard to make
    life better than it is now. We will look back on our century, with the same horror
    that we look back on the hardships of ancient times.

Oh my god, like that is the plot of my screenplay!! You stole it!!!!

And furthermore, freezing things is not good, because when they come out of the freezer, they get all mushy and lose their flavor!!

I don't want to deal with defrost!!!!!!!

Kevin's Avatar to thine own self be true
    In the O.C. (but not the hoity-toity parts)

Quote Originally Posted by MistressJennifer
    Oh my god, like that is the plot of my screenplay!! You stole it!!!!

And furthermore, freezing things is not good, because when they come out of the freezer, they get all mushy and lose their flavor!!

I don't want to deal with defrost!!!!!!!
    I shudder to think what freezer burn would be like...

Hey, you never sent me your screenplay or ideas!

Great minds think alike.

Besides, "Open your Eyes" and "Vanilla Sky" already did that idea, so it's not totally new...

And they have developed a way to unfreeze without damage.
    It's called vitrification.
    http://www.alcor.org/images/kidney.jpg

The key is being able to transfer data from a biological storage unit (your brain), to a digital storage unit (computer)....
    That's kinda hard because your brain is actualy 3d chip with all the connections between braincell's.... like condensators and transformers... so you would need a main board on which you would copy all the connections from your brain on chip... now that's imposible because of size and materials we still didn't discovered...
    Other solution will be emulating your brain structure in real world emulators which needs powerfull procesors... and years of research and programing.... and new technology as well this reminds me od an old joke joke that was made on begining of internet era back 20 years ago....

One mathematician worked all life on formula which will say if there is existence of the god. And he made it at the end Then he went to the university with best computers around in state and made a logarithm from formula. When he executed a program time of calculating was 31556926000000 seconds which is1000000 years. So he went to the bigest institute in the contry with best computers aviable and started a program. Time of calculating was 100000 years.... then he connecteg all computers in institute to work as one and share procesor power... Timer showed 10000 years of calculating after that... then he connected all computers on all institutes, universities and goverement facilities over the internet to work as one and executed a program... timer showed 1000 years,then he connected even more computers, almost every aviable on the continent and timer showed 100 years, then trought UN he connected all computers worldwide. Timer showed 10 seconds.... and then he executed a program. *ENTER* The answer on question : "Does god exist?" is....... 10 9 8....3..2...1.....It exist now. =)

Yeah, but look at how much changes every 100 years.

They didn't even have computers 100 years ago.

And 100 years before that, they did not have cars.

All this modern technology is really, really new...
    And it's exploding in new ways every day.
    New, faster computers, bigger hard drives, etc...
    Medical technology, cloning, etc...
    It's all taking off.

People 100 years ago did not think it was possible to fly,
    or to walk on the moon. Now we all fly anywhere in the world.

It might be *hard* to recreate the brain, or memories, on a computer,
    it's not impossible. And if things keep evolving, and improving,
    I'm hoping that 100 years from now, they will be able to thaw me
    out, and get me going again... In fact, I bet there will be a market
    for my memories and experiences... It's like history in real life.
    Like being able to unfreeze a caveman, and ask him about ancient times...

Umbilical Lotus's Avatar Pregnant with Atrocities

I'm setting the dial for "until life is cyberpunk". I want my fucking simstim.

Or those cool illusion-implants Riviera had in Neuromancer. Or any super-power science can give me, really.

Camby Savelle's Avatar Stars shaped like hearts

I only read the first three posts so if someone has already mentioned what I am about to, then forgive me.

It's kind of intresting, Joseph Mingley (or whatever his lastname was, the nazi scientist) actual ran a great number of experiments on people by freezing them. Most of wich resulted in death, not upon freezing ...but during the thawing process. There was some sucessful experiments where the victoms survived. (yes victoms, these were not volenteers the experiments were performed on.) The most sucessful way of unthawing someone with the highest survival rate was through the act of intercourse. The method of placing a frozen person into warm water was very unseccesfull.

You know how water expands when it freezes?

So it ruptures cell walls, and organs, when freezing happens.
    So when you unfreeze, nothing works.

But they have finally found an antifreeze that is not toxic,
    and allows them to freeze someone, and no cell damage happens.

They have successfully frozen dogs, and started them back up,
    and they seem fine...

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,10117...-13762,00.html

sheramil's Avatar Maracite Inreach program

even better, read some of the Larry Niven stories - "The Integral Trees" is one of the novels - where people have themselves frozen because they think the future will be better. when they're defrosted, the world is run by a fascist Big Brother style state, the money they invested for when they thawed has vanished, and since they have no useful skills, they have to take the shittiest jobs imaginable.

"HA ha!" - Nelson Munce

and they seem fine...

YEEEEEEEES I shall live forever

See you in 100o years Death Knight same place... same boards

I just had a vision of what my nuts would look like after being frozen...
    I know what they look like when I get out of cold water...So MAN when I get outa the deep freeze...Would look like Raisinets....

Or worse yet they might retreat into my ass to keep warm, and the only way to get them back out would be to put my finger in my ass and yell SNAKE!!!...

Ummm....I feel I have went too far.

and they seem fine...

Did they freeze dogs? Or HOT dogs? When they unfreezed the hot dogs, did they start to dance around? Kind of like happy dogs?

or like dogs dancing on the hot surface... hot dogs

I am gonna flip it a bit... I would freeze my family so that the in-bred hicks can get off my back about the fact that i have Blue hair, my nipples pierced, and I wear black lipstick with Bondage pants to family functions

and they seem fine...

People that freeze frozen peas say that they are fine. But are they fine? No!! They are not fine! They are mushy and gushy. And THAT is what will happen to your brain when you unfreeze!!

Your brain will be much, your nose will disintegrate into your face and melt.... In other words, yech!!!!

That's because the peas have no antifreeze in them!

Well, you can all be worm food.
    I'd rather be immortal instead.

Bwah hahahahah!
    (evil laugh)

(Of course, I could end up a mushy pea, but it's worth a shot...)

Mushy peas could be good in soup...
    Last edited by MistressJennifer; 10-14-2005 at 12:45 PM. Reason: mispelling

and they seem fine...

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,10117...3762,00.<br />

You know, speaking of frozen peas, after I got home, I really got a craving for mushy frozen peas! Like the really badly frozen or ones in the can!!! Luckily, my cravings subsided...

We should combine this thread with the plastic surgery/musical implant thread, and you could do the plastic surgery on frozen bodies!!!

+ Reply to Thread