+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Good Times

One Eyed Cat's Avatar Senior Member

Default Good Times

I saw NOFX last night. My friend, who happens to be in a wheelchair, had an extra ticket. I ended up sitting with 20 punk rock kids (young and old) in wheelchairs. They moved to the music they loved to the extent their bodies would allow. As I watched being them mesmerized, they in turn mesmerized me. I thought to myself "Moments like these are what it's all about."

As with many shows, there were silly people to deal with. Some kids in from the Dakotas seemed to think acting "tough" would add to their experience. This is always going to be there. This is not what it's all about.

After the show, I spoke to some of the musicians down at the Triple Rock. No Use for a Name supported NOFX on this tour. It was their last night on tour. We spoke of old times in Northern Cali. They were clearly exhausted. One pondered that he sometimes wondered if their music was still "relevant". I told him of my experience at the show. His eyes lit up.

"That's so fucking awesome!" "Thanks for telling me!"

Performance is about this connection. It is not about expectations, a few obnoxious kids, or the bitter few who knock such experiences down to hide their own failings.

Thanks to NOFX and No Use for a Name. I'm glad to have seen you guys again after all these years. More importantly, may we all be glad these connections are possible. Allowing these kids to reach the zone outweighs all other concerns. In fact, I believe this is the only thing any performer should want (or be expected) to aim for.

OEC

PS: For non-locals, Triple Rock is a bar/venue owned by Dillinger Four (good friends of both bands)
    Last edited by One Eyed Cat; 03-10-2008 at 10:33 AM. Reason: ouch grammar. thanks for the name change too :)

ForrestBlack's Avatar Administrator

Default Re: Good Times

That does sound like a really great experience and a fun show. I really enjoy NOFX a bunch too.

One Eyed Cat's Avatar Senior Member

Default Re: Good Times

Quote Originally Posted by ForrestBlack
    That does sound like a really great experience and a fun show. I really enjoy NOFX a bunch too.
    They put in an amazing performance as always. Had a lot of fun with it. I'm really glad I went.

OEC

+ Reply to Thread