+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Does the internet make you less outspoken?

ForrestBlack's Avatar Administrator

Default Does the internet make you less outspoken?

I am generally a fairly opinionated person. I'm usually fairly reasonable and open to hearing other points of view because I feel that is the best way to make sure my thinking on a given issue is indeed sound. However, I have noticed that for some reason communication on the internet really amplifies what can be really minor points of difference. Even if I agree with 90% of what someone is saying, a discussion very quickly becomes all about the conflict of that last 10%, much more than any face to face discussion tends to. People seem much more likely to adopt the sort of 'either you're with us or against us' mentality and any non-dogmatic approach is met with a great deal of pressure and even fairly unreasonable hostility.

Unfortunately, the net result in this is that I have become much more careful in communicating any critical or objective thought in almost any venue I participate in and I think this is really not such a good trait to be developing. On the other hand, I'm so tired of the nonsense flame wars and life long hostilities that can stem from some really minor disagreements or even the voicing of a slightly dissenting opinion on some pretty inconsequential stuff.

Do you find that the internet limits your motivation to share your true opinion or are you comfortable saying what you have to say and let the chips fall as they will?

c4wolf's Avatar Member

Default Re: Does the internet make you less outspoken?

yes... i have to agree with you... i think it might be that as you read something... only the important(to you) statements stand out! And unless you type for a living.. or use the pc keyborad for a living.. it is so much more damn work. even in r/l i find that as i get older only a hand full of views really mean anything.. all the rest are well who gives a shit..
    anyway just thought i'd share a bit
    have a good one

Quote Originally Posted by ForrestBlack
    I am generally a fairly opinionated person. I'm usually fairly reasonable and open to hearing other points of view because I feel that is the best way to make sure my thinking on a given issue is indeed sound. However, I have noticed that for some reason communication on the internet really amplifies what can be really minor points of difference. Even if I agree with 90% of what someone is saying, a discussion very quickly becomes all about the conflict of that last 10%, much more than any face to face discussion tends to. People seem much more likely to adopt the sort of 'either you're with us or against us' mentality and any non-dogmatic approach is met with a great deal of pressure and even fairly unreasonable hostility.

Unfortunately, the net result in this is that I have become much more careful in communicating any critical or objective thought in almost any venue I participate in and I think this is really not such a good trait to be developing. On the other hand, I'm so tired of the nonsense flame wars and life long hostilities that can stem from some really minor disagreements or even the voicing of a slightly dissenting opinion on some pretty inconsequential stuff.

Do you find that the internet limits your motivation to share your true opinion or are you comfortable saying what you have to say and let the chips fall as they will?
    Sometimes I have an easier time saying what it is I'm wanting to say because I have more time to think out my response.
    I' ve always been a fan to agree to disagree, if needed, and I detest flame wars. They dont get anywhere. People still believe what they want regardless who makes the best point.
    However, in real life, if I pick up that someone is going to strongly disagree with me about something, I usually keep it to myself. And let them just continue with whatever closemindedness they're ranting about.

One Eyed Cat's Avatar Senior Member

It does in some ways. It's fun to go off the cuff on what are usually subjective opinions. If you really get serious online though, you end up with an unstructured argument or "debate". People may be approaching the same issue in terms of morality, a policy preference, or personal preferences. You may well get pigeonholed. I'll say what I'm thinking anyways, but I know what the result will generally be. It goes against everything I learned in school. The more you say, the more grounds for attacks others may have on trivial or even inaccurate readings of what you really think. This raises the chances of animus you may not want.

In terms of just personal opinions, it really doesn't bother me that much. You just have to roll with the punches. It is impossible to cover every contingency of any issue off the cuff on the inet.

Jackie T

GnArKiLL's Avatar Senior Member

Exactly

Alot of times ill begin typing, then just say fuck it, and do something else.

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

Quote Originally Posted by Jackie T.
    It does in some ways. It's fun to go off the cuff on what are usually subjective opinions. If you really get serious online though, you end up with an unstructured argument or "debate". People may be approaching the same issue in terms of morality, a policy preference, or personal preferences. You may well get pigeonholed. I'll say what I'm thinking anyways, but I know what the result will generally be. It goes against everything I learned in school. The more you say, the more grounds for attacks others may have on trivial or even inaccurate readings of what you really think. This raises the chances of animus you may not want.

In terms of just personal opinions, it really doesn't bother me that much. You just have to roll with the punches. It is impossible to cover every contingency of any issue off the cuff on the inet.

Jackie T
    Wow, I never really thought about it possibly being an issue of conflicting educational levels. But I generally am more likely to have my mind opened or changed on something, if someone can really speak to it. Only it makes me crazy that it seems like online, the more one expresses an opinion, the more people misconstrue it and attach their own baggage. It is like the more one tries to clarify the more murky and hostile it gets.

One Eyed Cat's Avatar Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Amelia G
    Wow, I never really thought about it possibly being an issue of conflicting educational levels. But I generally am more likely to have my mind opened or changed on something, if someone can really speak to it. Only it makes me crazy that it seems like online, the more one expresses an opinion, the more people misconstrue it and attach their own baggage. It is like the more one tries to clarify the more murky and hostile it gets.
    woah timeout. I was referring to the caution they seem to recommend in law school. I don't care what alphabet soup someone has (or does not have) at the end of their name. Admittedly, I don't care what other people think. I do enjoy good conversation though. I think it should be kept cordial as much as possible. We aren't the G8 here.

Jackie T

Black Spiral Dancer's Avatar RedHead Admirer Supreme!

I find I seem MORE opinionated online. I'm more expressive online because it's the only plac my stammer doesn't get in the way of me having my say! I can say what I think, in the way I want to say it.

I have to agree more so with OrganizedKhaos. Over the internet, you have the time to sort your thoughts and give a clear answer. In real life, the equivalent of staring off into space for a minute is less acceptable. I also occasionally find talking tiresome, and will even say "No." instead of "Yes." just to avoid a 3 second explanation.

I'm alot more apathetic online just because there is so much more I'd rather be doing while online.

"Hey Ryan, Abortion is ba.."yeah brb"..../surfs internet."

You're not going to change their opinion and 99% of the time its someone I'll never meet or care about so I don't care.

In real life i'm alot more outspoken and don't mind a decent debate as long as it does not devolve into "FUCK YOU, YOU'RE WRONG" etc etc.

+ Reply to Thread