+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Politics in music

Clifton_Fury's Avatar Member

Default Politics in music

Yeah, I know, boring as the headline might seem, but I just read an interview with Avenged Sevenfold and at first glance they held some pretty right wing views on gay marriage, race etc... but on reading it again I realised that although the points raised didnt exactly tally with my own, they did back them up with some well thought out arguments. Obviously being british I'm not any kind of authority on what goes on in american's 'redneck' country (their words, not mine) I was discussing with a friend on politics in music. My POV was that it was kind of dumb to put views like that out in a magazine article (for the UK's Metal Hammer BTW), and would they make the same points in an american magazine, but my friend then shot me down by pointing out that who was I to judge? Just because you have a particular idea on politics, should you expect your peers to share that? My only real worry was that Avenged have such a rabid set of fans, would this influence them, and if so, should it be worrying? Or am I just being as bad as the facists by refusing to listen to another point of view? I think i know that if this thread gets any replies they are gonna hit me with the latter, because I've kinda fallen in with that myself, and i do still like the band, despite not agreeing with their politics. Does this matter? And before anyone else says it "I don't agree with what you are saying, but I will defend to the death your right to say it". I refer everyone to the Bill Hicks flag burning sketch...

PS. The magazine stopped short of finding out their opinion on abortion or any of those other guaranteed to offend 50% of people topics...

TheDeathKnight's Avatar Senior Member

Default Re: Politics in music

Good music is good music, regardless of the people behind it.
    There are a lot of really talented musicians who are idiots in many ways.
    From Bono to Rage Against The Machine, to Skinhead bands, etc, etc...
    I think the smart ones just don't talk about politics. They talk about partying, etc...
    I don't know which is worse. I'd rather have them aware of politics, and issues,
    than be total idiots. I don't really want kids idolizing heros who don't believe
    in anything. But then it's a double edged sword. You'll have some that support
    good causes, and others will support bad ones. I don't really want to give my
    money to bands that support lame causes. But I think it's good if they talk
    about issues in their music, instead of just putting out fluff... But I'm much
    more likely to get into music with a message I like, rather than a band that
    is spouting ignorance or hate. Unless I'm in a bad mood that day... heh heh!

i'm all for politics in music...

...but as Frank Zappa said "Shut up, and play yer guitar"

KilLAtomiK's Avatar Ceci n'est pas une pirate

as far as politics its something i dont want in the music itself, if the band has certain views they should be free to talk about em but dont put any of that crap in the music because the last thing i wana hear when im drunk,dancing, or just having an allout good time is someones political overtones in the music. i mean yeah puting your views in your music is a good way to get them accross to many people but in the end i just doont care for it and i dont wana hear it, i just wana have a good time. I mean if i wanted to inform myself on whats goin on in the world id have to look no further than the new, newspaper, or a website with credible information, i dont need to go buy a CD to tell me bush sucks.

Evilbink's Avatar Sanctimonious Satyr

Politics in music...fuck it...who listens to the lyrics anyways

But seriously, much like anything else, if they are saying something I want to hear, then fine. Otherwise I would more than likely not like them in the first place. It's not likely your gonna see me crusing down Woodward Ave. cranking out some R.E.M. or some shit.
    Hell..I think just about every punk album from the 80's had some song about Reagan.

hey just so long as the music's good, and the views aren't something that revolt me I'm fine with it... but damn make sure you can sing LOL...

...speaking of political music, anybody listen to the hiphop group The Coup? with album titles, and songs like 'Kill My Landlord' how can you go wrong

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

'well there views may be totally based on bullshit, but they make a strong arguement....'

let me end the discussion right now and say that there is no sociological study or any study based on one scientific or rational fact whatsoever against gay marriage, the only argument is based on religious doctrine, and just plain old anti-gay assholes. so in a nutshell any law against it would be based purely on religious establishment which is in direct violation of the first line of the first amendment of the constitution, so they can go fuck themselves... and it's probibly the same dipshits that spout this nonsense that say "america: love it or leave it."

Flip's Avatar Tea Drinker

hmm... yes to a level, no to this shit http://abcnews.go.com/Primetime/story?id=1231684&page=1

MorningGlory beat me to my other point

+ Reply to Thread