+ Reply to Thread

Thread: My English Class

hewhoisagod's Avatar Captain Obvious

Default My English Class

I talked to one of my professors that I'll be having in the fall semester. The class is called Gothic Literature and Film, it's an english humanities course that I thought sounded cool. But anyways, I was informed as to what the reading material for the class will be, when I heard it I had to crack a smile, now bear in mind only one of the books was published before 1900, the rest were made in the 60s through the 80's here's the list of books I get to read for this course.

Dracula (no surprise there)
    Rosemary's Baby (totally surprised there)
    Misery(eh, she has a thing for Stephen King)
    and The Shining (as stated before)

I'm actually excited about the class now, and it has enough people in it to not be cancelled so my schedule for the fall is set, and I get to watch Rosemary's Baby as college credit, how cool is that?

Default Re: My English Class

Congrats!

My favorite from those books would be the Dracula Book.

I've read Dracula, and Misery is the only one of those that I haven't seen. I have cool classes for the fall, a video editing course, 2 french courses, intro to the old testament (get all the good biblical stuff without that annoying Jesus fellow) and the Goth lit course. I'm stoked.

gonesavage's Avatar That Crazy Chinese Woman
    born in canada, grew up in rochester, NY (the sticks)

There really are some cool classes out there. I've stepped into a couple of interesting ones: History of Rock (listen to Led Zeppelin!), Video Production, Intro to Art Making, The Art of Sculpture (where we made 3-D stuff), and Electronic Art (playing with LEDs & buttons).

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

I took Kinship and Law in Medieval Iceland as a class when I was in school. We read all the Icelandic sagas.

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Quote Originally Posted by AmeliaG
    I took Kinship and Law in Medieval Iceland as a class when I was in school. We read all the Icelandic sagas.
    Now that's original...closest I came too was a Mexican Cinema class...years later I realized how good it really was since 75% of the films we saw have not been seen by most U.S. and European film fans and critics. Also I found out the teacher got VHS copies made from the actual prints through contacts...and to this day they are unavailable to own outside of Mexico...and even then they are a pain to score.

I remember the Village Voice doing a lil review on "Aventurera" YEARS after I got to see it. I always had a lil smirk about it since I knew it'd go over well in the states. Sadly it got piss poor show times in L.A. (10 am on a SAT. one screening a day only)...how lame is that?

Half a decade or so later it just hit DVD...it's a great film on so many levels since it has such a rich depth to it ranging from class struggle and revenge to film noir traditions and a touch of modern flaire.

Here's a bit of info on it... http://www.brightlightsfilm.com/29/aventurera.html

I hate when theaters do that. I've seen some Mexican films, a lot of them are really good. I don't know spanish but I can read so subtitles really don't bother me, I watch enough anime and Japanese horror flicks to not be bothered by subtitles.

Also we occasionally get bizarre courses that show up. Here we had an anthropology course called Mysticism, Witchcraft and the Occult. We also have a huge Criminal Justice department (most of the people that go here want to be lawyers) so if I wanted I could take SWAT training as an elective. Well, gotta split, have class in 30.

memorydream's Avatar Sage

I've heard of gothic art classes. But, it would be nice to be able to have a class where I could watch and write more papers on movies. Particularily ones I remember coming out and have seen at parties for fun.

+ Reply to Thread