+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Thank you Nickelodeon

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Default Thank you Nickelodeon

You gotta admit of all the cable channels ole Nick has had some of the most flat out wierd shows ever...or at least shows with a strange premise. The best of the bunch was the cult TV series The Adventures of Pete & Pete

To say it was "odd" is an understatement. It had a great mix of oddball humor, inventive characters, and about as accurate a modern family as possible. No other show could pull off a mother with a metal plate in her head and not only make it "normal" but damned entertaining. The most insane character was the local hero "Artie"...sure he had no powers, no real sense of modesty, and made you think he escaped a mental institution...but EVERY neighborhood needs a hero...even one who is the poster child for all geekdom. Smartly written, well acted, and executed with enough understatment to curb it's over the top sensibilities, the series was a mainstay of anyone who was around to admire it when it first aired.

The DVD set's box art is lame though...it makes it look like a cheesy family show when in reality it's much more of a David Lynch kind of show toned down for kids.

Like one fan said..."It's the only childhood show that's as good as you remember."

KilLAtomiK's Avatar Ceci n'est pas une pirate

Default Re: Thank you Nickelodeon

yeah the adventures of pete and pete rocked i still watch the reruns on the noggin channel. i always thought they young pete was cool cause he had a pinup tattoed on his arm and he could hipnotize people with it

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

fuck yeah, I was hoping they'd release that on dvd one of these days.

pete and pete was awesome..also you cant do that on television was my fav. way back when..so was the gummy bears show.. a good place for memories is http://www.retrojunk.com they have theme songs you can download and forums and all that stuff... its one of ym favs.

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Quote Originally Posted by VoldtaEngler
    pete and pete was awesome..also you cant do that on television was my fav. way back when..so was the gummy bears show.. a good place for memories is http://www.retrojunk.com they have theme songs you can download and forums and all that stuff... its one of ym favs.
    That was an EXCELLENT cartoon. This was during the golden age of Disney Televsison Cartoon's...it would birth Duck Tales, Tale Spin, Darkwing Duck, etc. They took ideas that SHOULD NOT have worked...like basing a cartoon on candy in this case...and built such an amazingly detailed and engaging mythology with endearing characters and totally sucked you in. It was not like the candy in that it was sugery sweet and cute...the characters all had an attitude without being silly. To this day the strangest assortment of people will admit to loving that cartoon and the theme song. Sadly this age was never repeated since Disney's televsion animation dept. was gutted and filled with mediocre creators, writers, and in some cases animators...no project SINCE the late 80's and early 90's has been as creative, smart, and detailed as a series like the Gummi Bears.

It's sad really cause that show was proof you can take ANYTHING and in the right hands pull off something wonderfully creative and fun.

hewhoisagod's Avatar Captain Obvious

I miss Pete and Pete................ although I've lost all faith in humanity when I saw they released the boxed set of Hee Haw

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Quote Originally Posted by hewhoisagod
    I miss Pete and Pete................ although I've lost all faith in humanity when I saw they released the boxed set of Hee Haw
    Hahah...I will admit I actually LIKE Hee Haw...I have NO CLUE why but for some reason I dig it.

Evilbink's Avatar Sanctimonious Satyr

Quote Originally Posted by Tequila Zaire
    That was an EXCELLENT cartoon. This was during the golden age of Disney Televsison Cartoon's...it would birth Duck Tales, Tale Spin, Darkwing Duck, etc. They took ideas that SHOULD NOT have worked...like basing a cartoon on candy in this case...and built such an amazingly detailed and engaging mythology with endearing characters and totally sucked you in. It was not like the candy in that it was sugery sweet and cute...the characters all had an attitude without being silly. To this day the strangest assortment of people will admit to loving that cartoon and the theme song. Sadly this age was never repeated since Disney's televsion animation dept. was gutted and filled with mediocre creators, writers, and in some cases animators...no project SINCE the late 80's and early 90's has been as creative, smart, and detailed as a series like the Gummi Bears.

It's sad really cause that show was proof you can take ANYTHING and in the right hands pull off something wonderfully creative and fun.

So true.. and I feel obligated to add "The Smurfs". I loved it when they turned purple and evil.

florida makes the people on hee-haw seem highly learned in the ways of education, and extremely sophisticated.

a_small_death's Avatar The ugliest dj on earth

one has to wonder, what the fuck happed to invader zim???????

+ Reply to Thread