+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Reading anything interesting?

Weblogger
    Born in London, bred in Yorkshire, laid in Dublin.

Default Reading anything interesting?

Most people that I know seem to find reading to be something one did at school, and are amazed that anyone should still read once they've graduated.

I've just finished Die Freimaurer by Alexander Giese (in German) and I'm starting Short Epics by Maffeo Vegio (Latin) this evening.

And you?

Default Re: Reading anything interesting?

Im reading The Complete Tales and Poems of Edgar Allen Poe.. I love his work if you ever get a chance to read the book you should Its awsome...

MistressJennifer's Avatar Senior Member

How posh and intelligent you are! I cannot compete!!!

The last book I was reading in the airport to London was (of course) a book about Princess Diana and how they predicted her death years before it happened and the end of her marriage... It cost me one dollar and I bought it near my tattoo place.

DharmaLion's Avatar Devil's Advocate

Fast Food Nation - Eric Schlosser

The World's Most Dangerous Places - Robert Young Pelton

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow
    Im reading The Complete Tales and Poems of Edgar Allen Poe.. I love his work if you ever get a chance to read the book you should Its awsome...
    That sounds great! Love him!!! There is an "Edgar Allen Poe Street" right by my house, where he wrote "The Raven". I would love to live on Edgar Allen Poe Street in a beautiful old brownstone. I like to look at the old buildings and imagine what he must have thought, and how he must have walked to Riverside Drive and the river.

Yeah that man is one of my goods lol he is or was a highley intellgent man in my book.. where do you live?? I really want to go to that street the Raven is one of my fav. tales by him... by the way you really should get the book It is outstanding..

Quote Originally Posted by MistressJennifer
    That sounds great! Love him!!! There is an "Edgar Allen Poe Street" right by my house, where he wrote "The Raven". I would love to live on Edgar Allen Poe Street in a beautiful old brownstone. I like to look at the old buildings and imagine what he must have thought, and how he must have walked to Riverside Drive and the river.
    Poe is a Baltimore native. His grave is 5 blocks from my current location.

Dude do you ever visit him?? that so fuckin awsome if i lived there I would go to his grave and read his book out loud..

Yeah that man is one of my goods lol he is or was a highley intellgent man in my book.. where do you live?? I really want to go to that street the Raven is one of my fav. tales by him... by the way you really should get the book It is outstanding..

He did live in Manhattan (NYC) for about a year and a half, in The Brenner or is it Brennan Mansion, 84th Street and Broadway. There is a plaque where the mansion used to be (now a Coach Store) I live about ten blocks away. It's a beautiful street, in the spring there are trees with lots of flowers and at night, in the snow, the brownstones and lanterns light everything with that eery, eternal glow. It probably looked just about the same as it does now. OH, and West End Street that crosses Edgar Allen Poe Street is full of beautiful old buildings, most of them look as if they belonged in that era.

I walk there every weekend.

Dude do you ever visit him?? that so fuckin awsome if i lived there I would go to his grave and read his book out loud..
    At least once a year. Poe is a huge deal in this town.

I bet he is and why wouldent he be....
    that sound Beautiful Jennifer do you minde if I call you that or would you like it if I called you Mistress???well maybe Ill have to go see it all for my self it sound like something I would dream about on a good night...

I bet he is and why wouldent he be....
    that sound Beautiful Jennifer do you minde if I call you that or would you like it if I called you Mistress???well maybe Ill have to go see it all for my self it sound like something I would dream about on a good night...
    Last year for the anniversery my fiance and I saw John Astin (The Addams Family) perform a play called "Edgar Allen Poe: Once Upon a Midnight"

Astin was phenominal.

Sure, call me Jennifer! Yes you should visit if you can. No one goes there. Hardly anyone walks down Edgar Allen Poe Street. It's kind of desolate, which is so appropriate...

Wouldn't it be great to live there? I bet it is SO hard to get a place.

Quote Originally Posted by DharmaLion
    Last year for the anniversery my fiance and I saw John Astin (The Addams Family) perform a play called "Edgar Allen Poe: Once Upon a Midnight"

Astin was phenominal.
    Wow, in Baltimore? How cool. Was it a sort of biography, with quotations, or did he dress up as Poe and just stay in character the whole time? I would love to go to Baltimore, I think in the snow.

Quote Originally Posted by MistressJennifer
    Wow, in Baltimore? How cool. Was it a sort of biography, with quotations, or did he dress up as Poe and just stay in character the whole time? I would love to go to Baltimore, I think in the snow.
    1.5 hours on the train.

Astin was in character, even after the play was over.

astin-poe (cant post URLs yet)

Weblogger
    Born in London, bred in Yorkshire, laid in Dublin.

I've always had a spot for Edgar Allen Poe too. When I lived in London I made a point of visiting 221b Baker Street - another one of my heroes - and gazing upwards at the monstrocity that was the Abbey National Building Society Headquarters (they're now a bank). I'm waiting for Harvard to finish publishing all six volumes of Marsilio Ficino's Platonic Theology, the fourth one arrived here two days ago, and I'm waiting for the rest of Pius II Commentaries and Leonardo Bruni's History of the Florentine People. For some reason they insist on publishing one volume at a time, and the next volume comes six months later, when I've read several hundred books inbetween and forgotten the plot ...

I have Remembrance of Things Past by my bedside waiting for the right moment to begin reading ...

One Eyed Cat's Avatar Senior Member

I've been rereading Master and the Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov. It is a great story on about 6 different levels of emotion/action. 2 major characters are Satan and his talking cat.

OEC

Quote Originally Posted by DharmaLion
    At least once a year. Poe is a huge deal in this town.
    Do it on his birthday coming up I believe it's the 18th of January...if not the 18th the 19. I'm almost positive it's the 18th.

Anyway, I just read Battle Royale. It's a Japanese novel about China overruning Japan and as a form of population control and a way to cut down on the Japanese youth, they take a class of highschool freshmen to an island, put collars around their necks, give them survival packs with a weapon and food, and tell them they have 24hrs to kill someone if no one is killed the collars are detonated. If you try to escape the Navy is surrounding the island waiting to shoot. If you go into a forbidden zone which are announced at 12 and 6, the collars will detonate.

It's a really cool book.

morbid_lady's Avatar Senior Member

i'm reading a couple of books right now (i can never seem to stick to just one at a time)

Star Scrolls, book two of the Dragon Prince series by Melanie Rawn
    Lireal, sequel to Sabriel by Garth Nix
    and Discovering Past Lives, a guide to reincarnation

Quote Originally Posted by SindelChaos
    Do it on his birthday coming up I believe it's the 18th of January...if not the 18th the 19. I'm almost positive it's the 18th.
    That's the once a year I am refering to. There is an old style funeral procession to the grave site put on by the local fan club. It's a great time as everyone comes in period costumes and makes a day of it.

hewhoisagod's Avatar Captain Obvious

............. Misery by Stephen King..... required for my gothic lit class, I'm not the one that chose to read it.

Nudemuse's Avatar Queen of all Fatassia.

I'm reading 'The Crow Shattered Lives and Broken Dreams' anthology. Trying to read the 'Beauty Myth' but I don't like it and it's taking me forever. And I think I'm going to read 'Crash' by JG Ballard again.

+ Reply to Thread