+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Deer Tick Warning!!! Please Read!!

PaulCat's Avatar 3 Of My Nine Lives Left

Default Deer Tick Warning!!! Please Read!!

Subject- DEER TICK WARNING!!! PLEASE READ!!

Deer Tick Warning!!!!
    Send this warning to everyone on your e-mail list! If someone comes to your front door saying they are conducting a
    survey on deer ticks and asks you to take your clothes off, do not do it!

This is a scam; they only want to see you naked.

(I wish I'd gotten this yesterday. I feel so stupid and cheap now... )

Just a lil giggle from Paul Cat.

Sceptic_Messiah's Avatar Senior Member

Default Re: Deer Tick Warning!!! Please Read!!

i wouldent be as confused if this had been posted by people over the pond and it was some weird thing i'de never heard off

but it wasnt and it;s from someone who lives u quite close to me...(im in north yorkshire) anyway........WTF are deer ticks and why would people be coming round asking to see my unmanly chest because of them?

and your little dog too

deer tick photo from United States Dept of Agriculture

Ticks Overview from emedicinehealth

Ticks are the leading carriers of diseases to humans in the United States, second only to mosquitoes worldwide. It is not the tick bite but the toxins or organisms in the tick's saliva transmitted through the bite that cause disease.

Ticks are arthropods, like spiders. There are more than 800 species of ticks throughout the world. They are responsible for carrying such diseases as Rocky Mountain spotted fever, Lyme disease, babesiosis (Texas fever), ehrlichiosis, and tularemia (also transmitted via rabbits) as well as Colorado tick fever and Powassan (a form of encephalitis).

In addition to disease transmission, ticks can also cause tick paralysis. This condition occurs when neurotoxins in the tick saliva make you ill, cause paralysis of the body, and can stop you from breathing, in extreme cases.

Two groups of ticks are important to humans because of the diseases they can transmit:

Hard ticks have a tough back plate or scutum that defines their appearance. The hard ticks tend to attach and feed for hours to days. Disease transmission usually occurs near the end of a meal, as the tick becomes full of blood. Some of the more common hard ticks are these:

American dog tick

Wood tick

Deer tick (they carry Lyme disease)

Lone star tick

Soft ticks have more rounded bodies and do not have the hard scutum found in hard ticks. These ticks usually feed for less than 1 hour. Disease transmission can occur in less than a minute. The bite of some of these ticks produces intensely painful reactions. Two common soft ticks found in the United States are the Pajaroello tick and spinose ear tick.

Outbreaks of tick-related illnesses follow seasonal patterns as ticks evolve from larvae to adults. They hide in low brush to hitch a ride on a potential host. Ticks require a "blood meal" to grow and survive, and they are not very particular upon whom or what they feed. If these freeloaders don't find a host, they may die.

Once a tick finds a host—such as you, your pet, a deer, a rabbit—and finds a suitable site for attachment, the tick begins to burrow with its mouthparts into exposed skin. Tick mouthparts are barbed, which helps to secure them to the host.

Often the tick secrets "cementum" to more firmly anchor its mouthparts and head to the host. Ticks may secrete or regurgitate small amounts of saliva that contain neurotoxins. These nerve poisons cleverly prevent you from feeling the pain and irritation of the bite. You may never notice the tick feeding on you. The saliva may contain a blood thinner to make it easier for the tick to get its blood meal.

countessnichole's Avatar Wicca, Friend, Lover.

T-t-t-t... TICKS!

I hate those little fuckers.

*runs!*

koolagh's Avatar Resident Barbarian

Quote Originally Posted by countessnichole
    T-t-t-t... TICKS!

I hate those little fuckers.

*runs!*
    Why? They are just another one of natures little vampires, thought most people here on the boards liked vampires.

Quote Originally Posted by koolagh
    Why? They are just another one of natures little vampires, thought most people here on the boards liked vampires.

I like Vampires but I dont like being food for them little parasites...
    Ticks dont bother me I just dont want them on me..They carry too many diseases

KilLAtomiK's Avatar Ceci n'est pas une pirate

Quote Originally Posted by koolagh
    never been to fond of vampires zombies are way cooler

keiko's Avatar baker of geekery

Vampires are one thing. Bugs are an Entirely different matter. Vampires are Sexy, Bugs are GROSS! Especially ticks. Excuse me, the very mention gives me a need to shower.
    K

Belladonna's Avatar Senior Member

gross!! ticks!!

PaulCat's Avatar 3 Of My Nine Lives Left

Septic, It just amused me thats all! and i thought i'd share my easily amused giggle, Hehe!

Paul Cat.

Oh I hate ticks!!! We have so many here where I live. Cuz of them one of my dogs got the Tick fever disease and he has so many problems. He has to eat special food and nothing else plus take special medication!!! On top of that it has caused him to have Kidney Disease as well. They are a real threat to animals and humans!!

Many moons ago, my sis got a tick right on her head. I was too young to remember, but I was told you have to burn those suckers off. LOL, reminds me of when I went swimming and I saw a black thing on my aunt's foot, I thought it was a leech. Anyways she screamed (jokingly) and bursted out laughing, it turns out it was sock lint (she wore black socks that day).

+ Reply to Thread