+ Reply to Thread

Thread: how big a deal is it for a mom to share pot with her own kids?

and your little dog too

Default how big a deal is it for a mom to share pot with her own kids?

Mom accused of smoking marijuana with teen kids

from yahoo

MINDEN, Nev. – A 39-year-old woman was arrested last week on suspicion of smoking marijuana with her two teenage children. Douglas County sheriff's deputies said the woman was detained after they responded to a report of a suspicious vehicle. Deputies said the woman told them that she was teaching her son to drive, but they smelled marijuana emanating from the vehicle.

The suspect's son, whose age was unavailable, and 14-year-old daughter told deputies they had shared two bowls of marijuana with their mother.

The woman was booked into jail Tuesday on charges of child endangerment, contributing to the delinquency of a minor and possession of a drug.

The 14-year-old was released to Child and Protective Services, while the boy was placed in juvenile detention.

Default Re: how big a deal is it for a mom to share pot with her own kids?

Usually means the mother is a moron and her kids will grow up to be ICP listening, highschool dropping wonders.

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

good point VT. I wouldn't say that it warrants criminal action; social darwinism will take care of itself.

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

In California, we'd expect all three of them to get a prescription first, but then it wouldn't be any kind of crime at all.

Never saw the appeal of a drug that makes people stupid and unambitious though, but I think it should come down to personal choice. How many teenagers couldn't find pot to smoke unsupervised really?

Bikerpunk's Avatar Ill-intentioned bad apple

I think it's quite the deal.

Pull~My~Hair's Avatar makes your life seem good

i think the first time i smoked pot with my mom i was 17..and that was cause we both kinda caught each other in the act

but dont drive around and do it, hide in your house and be paranoid like a real stoner lol

What's a 39 year old doing smoking weed? She should grow up and do coke like everyone else.

(Blatant ripoff of a Daniel Tosh joke if anyone cares)

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Pull~My~Hair
    ibut dont drive around and do it, hide in your house and be paranoid like a real stoner lol

exactly

TimmyChaw's Avatar Member

You get points for the Daniel Tosh reference...

But I also got weed from my mother. She knew I smoked as a kid, but when I was around 16, we brought it into the open. Then everything was cool.

keiko's Avatar baker of geekery

when i was sixteen my step-dad and my mom asked me if i had a joint. my only response was "Why?".

according to my brother, my mom passes him rolled joints.

i'm not saying there's anything wrong with it, but a certain level of discretion should be in order.

~K

Ajax Knucklebones's Avatar God fearing atheist

I see no reason to smoke pot with your kids, other than that you're trying to be "cool" parents. My job as a parent is to be a "dad", not my son's best friend. After he's grown up and has gotten a good supply of life lessons, than I can be a good friend with him. I don't mean I'm an asshole 24/7 to my kid. Nothing's further from the truth. We do plenty of fun things together. I just mean essentially in my eyes, I'm here to get him ready for his adult life. To teach him alot of life's "rights and wrongs". I didn't procreate him because I needed a new pal.

I was wondering the opposite. What if kids shared joint with their parents?

Quote Originally Posted by Ajax Knucklebones
    I see no reason to smoke pot with your kids, other than that you're trying to be "cool" parents. My job as a parent is to be a "dad", not my son's best friend. After he's grown up and has gotten a good supply of life lessons, than I can be a good friend with him. I don't mean I'm an asshole 24/7 to my kid. Nothing's further from the truth. We do plenty of fun things together. I just mean essentially in my eyes, I'm here to get him ready for his adult life. To teach him alot of life's "rights and wrongs". I didn't procreate him because I needed a new pal.
    I think that is a healthy attitude to have. Growing up I would get pretty pissed at my parents for being so strict compared to other parents who let their kids drink and smoke. But now I can appreciate what they did for me because most of the kids I know who used to drink and smoke when they were younger are just losers and burnouts now. I actually just read an awful story in the news this morning about a 15 year old who died because his mom was letting him drink and he stole painkillers out of her purse and accidentally overdosed. Obviously not everyone who drinks or smokes weed when they are teens are going to have such awful fates but why take that risk as a parent and encourage drug or alcohol usage?

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

I don't know, it's hard to say. I know that the whole just say No thing doesn't work. maybe a more honest approach would be good. tell your kids that doing drugs isn't the end of the world, but it's probably not the best thing either. I'd say it's good just to have your parents be there, even though that's the last thing a teenager wants, I know that they will regret it later.

My parents never told me not to do drugs, they kind of trusted that I was smart enough to figure out things on my own. I knew better, but I did them anyway, and then I realized that it was fucked, and I got my shit together on my own, so I guess they were right in that regard. But I also feel like maybe if we did have that talk, if we just had any talk about anything, which we didn't, then I would have been a lot less inclined to go there.

I don't really want to get all Dr. Phil, but maybe there's a connection there. I realize that my problem is that I have no idea at all what the right thing to do in life situations is. I just have a good enough head to realize what the wrong things are (usually after doing them and having it turn out like shit), and to not do them again.

Skerianne's Avatar Junior Member

wow, i have actually seen this happen.
    they called it "sharing is caring"

helcyon's Avatar i am no one

Not any sort of big deal in my opinion. I smoked muggles and drank with parental knowledge from pre-teen up. The problem came when mother got paranoid when I was 15 and tried to stop me. Too late by then. And there's nothing wrong with me.... erm... well maybe it isn't such a good idea

Well where you gonna draw the line? Being over-protective or strict is even worse surely. Sure it's not at all healthy and some are pre-disposed to schizoidal reactions but just being alive is unhealthy isn't it? Education is the key... done right with someone who is open to hearing what you are saying will work better than hard-core prohibition. If they are going to smoke there's nothing you can do about it anyway. They are going to make their own choices.

athenahollow's Avatar Smut Peddler

Quote Originally Posted by Morning Glory
    My parents never told me not to do drugs, they kind of trusted that I was smart enough to figure out things on my own. I knew better, but I did them anyway, and then I realized that it was fucked, and I got my shit together on my own, so I guess they were right in that regard. But I also feel like maybe if we did have that talk, if we just had any talk about anything, which we didn't, then I would have been a lot less inclined to go there.
    Now my parents tried the "If you do it, you are grounded" approach. Which just meant "Don't get caught" to me haha. But I agree, had my parents talked to me about WHY NOT to do it, or at least the reasons to do it in moderation, I probably wouldn't have spent most of 15-17 stoned, drunk, on pills or all of the above at the same time. But by 16, my parents knew I drink. In fact, my mom used to MAKE me take a shot if I was leaving with my friends (Her and my dad were going thru a divorce that was just not any good for either of them honestly).
    That's what I am going to do with my daughter. Same with sex. Just talk to them about the reasons why or why not to do something, and teach them the right way and safe way to live life.

Ajax Knucklebones's Avatar God fearing atheist

With my kid, I don't sugar coat the world...Then again I don't try to make it look like a horrible place to live, either. I tell him truths about shit when he asks. Most of the time I enstill in his head that all we do in life is make choices and in the end we get to prosper by the right choices and get dragged down by the bad choices. One thing's for sure though, we all have to take responsiblity for those choices we make because in the end, the choices dictate our future.

He's only 10 so I know it's the teen years when the madness begins. I've even told him that I know in a few years he's gonna be doing some stupid-ass shit. I've also told him that before he does that stupid ass shit remember about what I said about choices and if he's listened, he'll make the right ones....Or at least "think" before he makes the bad ones.

We have lived the teen years. We know that in the end, no matter what are parents tell us, we're gonna do what we want to do, no matter. I still think though that by doing drugs and drinking with your parents, it just gives you a belief that all of it is perfectly fine. I think THAT becomes more of a "gateway" to worse behavior....Not pot.

Fuckin rambling here...Sorry.

I think it's a good thing for kid to experience certain things in young age. Under good guidance they can see what it is and tire them selfs from it.

It's way better than not having any contact with anything at all and then finishing studies and becoming your own man/woman and then getting addicted to some shit that you never had idea what it is in first place. Like heroin for example.

I had very close example of a heroin abuse in the family. When I was kid they told me that he drank a lot but then I realized what it was when I got older and I never ever dared to try that shit. Or any other highly addictive drug. I stayed low

I did some stupid stuff as well as a younger but then I learned what is what and I know I'll never make a stupid mistake to ruin my life. It only made me stronger. And it made me appreciate life even more.

The mother of a friend of mine I grew up with use to smoke with us. It was usually her pot and very good stuff. I don't really see any terrible effect in any of us that were involved in our adult selves. I don't smoke anymore and I'm a normal functioning part of society.

mystoo's Avatar Pirate Hooker

Not a huge deal, I don't think. I don't even think of pot as a 'real' drug though. Being Italian, I've been drinking with my family since I was super young. Not getting wasted or anything but I always had a glass of wine with dinner on special occasions.
    Long story short, I've got into tons more trouble when drinking rather than smoking pot.
    I supposed it really depends on the person. I know people who started smoking pot and eventually turned into crackheads, and I know people who haven't taken it beyond the occasional joint here and there.
    Education and honest communication are key.
    But I'm never having kids so I'm not too worried about that shit.

I don't see why it should invoke 'deal' status at all. Up to them. Them getting arrested over it kindof is a big deal, but the evil of law enforcement is old news.

I'm with Amelia on pot though, never got the appeal.

helcyon's Avatar i am no one

Quote Originally Posted by Raza
    I'm with Amelia on pot though, never got the appeal.
    Aw c'mon... it's sorta nice to share a J and watch the tube or a dvd - you kind of get more into it. Even better - someone I know gets supa horny on the puff so it's more ethical than slipping rohypnol into her drink .
    Quote Originally Posted by myssy
    I've got into tons more trouble when drinking rather than smoking pot.
    That is inarguably correct ms spunky Italy. The worst thing people usually do to others on pot is compromise safety or operate machinery dangerously.

I don't actually like drinking all that much although I do seem to like doing it socially to quite a large excess when out and about. I'm not sure why this is - I never drink at home by myself. Perhaps i just like the company and going to bars to not drink is not real flash or inspiring for myself although I don't mind if others somehow manage to accomplish that. This makes me possibly the worlds heaviest "social drinker" (whatever that is) however you are always running very close to being an unremarkable "anti-social drinker" unless you really try not to be.

Anyway you know that I encourage drug and alcohol use for those who can hack it so I'm always going to come down on the pro side of course.

+ Reply to Thread