+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: Is anyone else pissed off watching "Celebrity Rehab"?

Rockwulf's Avatar Negatory

Default Is anyone else pissed off watching "Celebrity Rehab"?

Man, seriously? Fuck this show. I've caught a couple episode of the first season where they actually had a couple people I've heard of even one or two I'd actually call "celebrities". But I just ran across the fact that they're doing a second season and aside from Season-1's colossal failure at life Jeff Conway, I can't place a single face on it.

Wait, that's not true. There's Gary Busey, a man so batshit insane that drugs are the least of his worries. If I was anyone else in the Busey family I would keep that dude so high that he never moved or spoke again except to indicate that he wanted more drugs.

But yeah back to the show, these whiny idots just yammer and bitch for an hour at a time while they blame everyone but themselves for being complete fuckups.

Now I know that there are people on here that have been on drugs in the past and probably more than would like to admit are currently on drungs and I just want to take a second to say that I just don't fucking get it. How do you end up on drugs if you were born after like 1970? (Yeah, I know that some of the worse cases on the show were born far before '70. I'm not talking about them.)

I would love someone to explain this shit to me because I'm mystified.

Who looks at the crackheads and fucking burnouts they pass on the street every day and says, "Well golly gee waitress, I'll have what he's having!"

Watching these fucking failures who had every oppourtunity to succeed and pissed it away spend a quarter of my months rent on one night of wrecking themselves just blows my mind when I have to work 5 jobs to break even.

Like the chick who was a finalist on American Idol....FUCK HER! You got on a TV show for a few weeks and let your life go to shit. You fail, NEXT! She didn't even win the contest! Look at Kelly Clarkson. She actually won the contest and had a movie before everyone stopped giving a shit about her but you don't see her pissing and moaning on TV about how she can't write a song!

These assholes shouldn't be in an expensive rehab facility, they should be at the bottom of a 6 foot deep hole.

Arrrrrgh, this country is retarded.

/Rant

Default Re: Is anyone else pissed off watching "Celebrity Rehab"?

SON OF A BITCH! So while I'm typing the above post, the American Idol reject decided she could start writing again. So she's showing her song to this other dude who is apparently a recovered addict and he says, "Wow, that's really good! I like this "beautiful disaster" part. That sounds really good!"

So that happened to strike me as familiar so I googled "beautiful disaster" and I'll be damned if it ain't a Kelly Clarkson song! I don't think I've laughed so hard in a week.

Mindgames's Avatar A guy who makes girls

I think it's safe to assume anyone appearing on "Celebrity..." anything has been told by their agent that the bottom of the barrel is way above their reach.

As to the drugs thing - real 'celebrities' (and I use that word loosely) never see the bodies on the streets in a way they can associate with. Their introduction to non-prescription mood enhancements is provided by a nice man in a nice suit, who nicely points out how nice they are. Sure, both the man and the suit may be wanted in 25 states, but he has nice arguments. Poor people drink; rich people do drugs. Everyone in the industry does it and you never hear of anyone dying (Heath who? Never heard of him). Your fans expect you to perform perfectly and these will help. It's the low-grade stuff that's dangerous, and you can afford the best. We now technically own your daughter.

Quote Originally Posted by Mindgames
    Their introduction to non-prescription mood enhancements is provided by a nice man in a nice suit, who nicely points out how nice they are. . We now technically own your daughter.
    *sigh*

I miss my old job.

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

aren't you the guy that gets off of work and "9 times out 10" hits the bar or chugs one when you get home? and you can't understand why people do drugs? it's for the exact same reason. stressful or social.

I agree that people should be grateful for what they have, but just because other people think you have a good life doesn't mean that you do. I don't necessarily think that "famous" people are more inclined to do drugs/ be fucked up then everyone else, but it's like MG says, it's just a lot easier for them to have access to them. I've never really tried to get drugs, anytime I've ever done them was because I was around other people that had them/were doing them.

Yeah, I'll go out and have a few beers but I won't get sloppy retarded. I don't drink every day and I don't drink when I don't have the money to. I'd certainly never go out and steal or turn tricks for beer money.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockwulf
    I'd certainly never go out and turn tricks for beer money.
    WHAT?

man, you used to be cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Friendly
    WHAT?

man, you used to be cool.
    Haha, well I suppose if she was hot enough I'd consider it.

jonny.illuminati's Avatar hasn't slept for days

Haha, well I suppose if she was hot enough I'd consider it.

she?

Well if I was ever wasted enough to consider a dude I wouldn't need beer money then would I?

jonny.illuminati's Avatar hasn't slept for days

Well if I was ever wasted enough to consider a dude I wouldn't need beer money then would I?
    good point....

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

Quote Originally Posted by Morning Glory
    I agree that people should be grateful for what they have, but just because other people think you have a good life doesn't mean that you do.

This is one of the great truths of the universe.

soma_stardust's Avatar ~soul-eating model~

Quote Originally Posted by Amelia G
    This is one of the great truths of the universe.
    word.
    good thing i'm too poor for drugs. i can see myself in a bad way...
    yey poverty!

Maybe it's just me and my attention whoring ways but I couldn't think of anything better than being famous and having tons of adoring fans. And of course the money and houses and all the goods that come with it.

VoltaireBlue's Avatar just is

I'm not really interested in celebrities. I'm especially not interested in their drug habits.

Maybe it's just me and my attention whoring ways but I couldn't think of anything better than being famous and having tons of adoring fans. And of course the money and houses and all the goods that come with it.

So, Rockwulf, I'm going to make some assumptions, based solely on knowing you digitally, so I could be off-base, but let me know if you actually think this would not be the case.

Tons of dough and tons of adoring fans inevitably come with tons of people who want your dough and tons of people who hate you for either the same reasons others adore you or simply out of envy over your dough and adoration. If you are a big dude and you are famous, some jerk-off is always going to want to fight you, so they can pretend to be a big deal too, like that guy who punched Glenn Danzig whose name I don't remember. It is my impression that, if you were in this situation, you would still be bugged by things like stupidity, people who refused to see you as you are, super fake people who try to say what you want to hear but do it badly, super fake people who try to say what you want to hear and do it well, trying to find an accountant who will help you keep what you have and not piss it away or get it stolen, having to have bodyguards around you or regularly deal with jerk-offs, being pestered while you were making time with a hot girl, having some homeless whore look down on you because she was hoping to sleep her way into a four million dollar mansion when your three million dollar one doesn't have nearly enough spare bedrooms for all her whore friends, etc., etc., etc.

TheDeathKnight's Avatar Senior Member

I think that show is hilarious.

So, Rockwulf, I'm going to make some assumptions, based solely on knowing you digitally, so I could be off-base, but let me know if you actually think this would not be the case.

Tons of dough and tons of adoring fans inevitably come with tons of people who want your dough and tons of people who hate you for either the same reasons others adore you or simply out of envy over your dough and adoration.
    Fuck the haters. I got plenty of 'em already and I'm a broke nobody.

If you are a big dude and you are famous, some jerk-off is always going to want to fight you, so they can pretend to be a big deal too, like that guy who punched Glenn Danzig whose name I don't remember.
    Again, between my jobs and my sense of humor I already got people who want to punch me and pretend to be a big deal and I'm a broke nobody.

It is my impression that, if you were in this situation, you would still be bugged by things like stupidity, people who refused to see you as you are, super fake people who try to say what you want to hear but do it badly, super fake people who try to say what you want to hear and do it well,
    The only difference between having all that now and having all that when I'm rich is the sheer amount of things I'd have to distract me from all that. I really don't see a down side that I don't already have in my life.

The only difference between having all that now and having all that when I'm rich is the sheer amount of things I'd have to distract me from all that.
    exactly why celebrities do drugs....

I wasn't thinking drugs. That's retarded. I was thinking like, travel and jet skis and more travel and skydiving and expensive booze and fight clubs and even more travel and custom motorcycle building and that'd just be the first week.

Again, between my jobs and my sense of humor I already got people who want to punch me and pretend to be a big deal and I'm a broke nobody.
    hell I want to punch you just to improve my self-esteem, and I sort of think you're okay.

right, some people like jetskis and rock climbing and other people like shooting speed and smoking rocks. some people like doing both and those people usually end up dead real quick.

helcyon's Avatar i am no one

that guy who punched Glenn Danzig
    Wow I didn't know about that. I really wonder how it's possible to punch downwards that far. Difficult - I'd say you'd need to get on your knees and pretend you were attacking a black furby.

Quote Originally Posted by Morning Glory
    right, some people like jetskis and rock climbing and other people like shooting speed and smoking rocks. some people like doing both and those people usually end up dead real quick.
    and some of them end up on tv shows i've never even heard of, apparently

Fuck the haters. I got plenty of 'em already and I'm a broke nobody.

The only difference between having all that now and having all that when I'm rich is the sheer amount of things I'd have to distract me from all that. I really don't see a down side that I don't already have in my life.

I'm not saying it would give you more of a downside necessarily. It would turn the volume up to 11 on all the things which are normally being Rockwulf. Basically, being the same person, only with more of the same kinds of problems and more of the same kinds of benefits and higher paycheck, is not necessarily painless. No matter where you go, there you are. (Yes, I'm talking about celebrity drug use and quoting dork movies because, no matter where I go, there I am.)

One factor, which I think is different at different strata, is peer pressure. The people who tell you to chug extra tequila in high school, when you don't feel like it (or even when you do) are almost certainly not your peers. Get to a certain level of success and the person passing the cocaine is much more likely to be someone you actually do respect and should respect.

well it might be someone that you do respect, but whether you should respect, I think that's a subject of debate.

helcyon's Avatar i am no one

being the same person, only with more of the same kinds of problems and more of the same kinds of benefits and higher paycheck, is not necessarily painless.
    "Money cannot buy happiness". A lot of people seem to think that is true. I'm not so sure. I am sure that it buys a better class of unhappiness.

Quote Originally Posted by helcyon
    "Money cannot buy happiness". A lot of people seem to think that is true. I'm not so sure. I am sure that it buys a better class of unhappiness.

Having any need unfulfilled can contribute to a person being unhappy. Money can take care of basic hunger, medical care, and certain kinds of worries. Some of the worries it fixes are replaced by new worries once the dough is there.

Human beings are social animals and we need certain social things on a deep biological level. Money can't buy those things. Money can buy hookers and blow, and those things can pass for filling a social void at the time, but those things don't feel like love the morning after. Which is precisely why you see so many people who tried to buy happiness on Celebrity Rehab.

I saw that show on friends tv and I was like WTF. Why? What's the point? Are they out of reality show ideas in Hollywood?

The show is totally pointless. On the other side I would never like to be a celebrity. Maybe super rich but super anonymous.

Mindgames's Avatar A guy who makes girls

Quote Originally Posted by OliX
    Are they out of reality show ideas in Hollywood?
    Good God no - but we're just working down the list.

Wait till page 27 and the wonders of The Most Amazing Grammatical Errors Ever In The World (II) vs. Lesbian Celebrity Deathmatch Opera Factor Live.

I've got $50 on kd lang against a split infinitive.

TheDeathKnight's Avatar Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by helcyon
    Wow I didn't know about that. I really wonder how it's possible to punch downwards that far. Difficult - I'd say you'd need to get on your knees and pretend you were attacking a black furby.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfD7agP1yxw

I'm not saying it would give you more of a downside necessarily. It would turn the volume up to 11 on all the things which are normally being Rockwulf. Basically, being the same person, only with more of the same kinds of problems and more of the same kinds of benefits and higher paycheck, is not necessarily painless. No matter where you go, there you are. (Yes, I'm talking about celebrity drug use and quoting dork movies because, no matter where I go, there I am.)

One factor, which I think is different at different strata, is peer pressure. The people who tell you to chug extra tequila in high school, when you don't feel like it (or even when you do) are almost certainly not your peers. Get to a certain level of success and the person passing the cocaine is much more likely to be someone you actually do respect and should respect.
    Well if that's the case then I'd really like to be sent millions of dollars so that I can be proven wrong.

Well if that's the case then I'd really like to be sent millions of dollars so that I can be proven wrong.
    yeah, pretty much.

i've just had the longest period of steady employment I've ever had, and let me tell you having almost enough money to live on rocks compared to being fucking broke.

i knew,and worked for a F list celebrity (like sub-D list) for a while, he was only famous in his own mind, but dude was rich. while he was a flaming asshole, he did have alot more fun than those of us around him who didn't have as much money. sure his personality flaws were fuckin' huge, and he is a miserable piece of shit, but dude doesn't go hungry, or cold, and can pretty much do whatever he feels like when ever he feels like it. and yeah, dude gets laid by vacuous whores but he rarely complains about it, he just cuts them off no muss no fuss. (the fuss was left to the people who worked for him.)

So although i wouldn't trade my personality flaws for his, i am sure i'd find other uses for that kind of money.

First off, lottery winners tend to kill themselves. So statistically, the odds are against random money being fun. You are talking about celebrity money though, not random money. A person with a regular job doesn't work for a year and those who are aware of them are not surprised when they run out of money and have to seek gainful employment. The general public expects celebrity money to last forever somehow. From the celebs you listed, there are not a lot of multimillionaires on Celebrity Rehab. That is exactly where a lot of those people have problems.

A guy in a successful band, for example, probably makes say $60k a year. That's not bad money. He probably starved for a number of years, doing part time unpleasant jobs, in order to try to make it as a musician, so $60k probably feels like untold wealth. At first. $60k is enough to not stress about food, shelter, or minor medical care. It won't pay for any serious operations, if he doesn't get insurance and it isn't great for saving up to buy a house in any entertainment city, and it may average out low when the starving years are factored in, but $60k a year doesn't suck. Only his fans will expect that anyone who has appeared on a magazine cover is a multimillionaire.

I would imagine that someone who lost on American Idol is actually pretty much broke. At least for the next 15 minutes, she'll have a hellish time getting any normal job, partly because people equate fame and wealth and partly because it inexplicably enrages a lot of people, so she's probably going to have people either not want to employ her or be unpleasant once they do. So now she feels she has to become successful in music. So it might seem lame for her to feel like writing a salable song is so all-fired important, but she has to feel pretty trapped.

Like Mae West said, "I've been rich and I've been poor, and, either way, it is good to have money." Having the money just doesn't really mean fewer problems or total happiness.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Friendly
    yeah, pretty much.

i've just had the longest period of steady employment I've ever had, and let me tell you having almost enough money to live on rocks compared to being fucking broke.

i knew,and worked for a F list celebrity (like sub-D list) for a while, he was only famous in his own mind, but dude was rich. while he was a flaming asshole, he did have alot more fun than those of us around him who didn't have as much money. sure his personality flaws were fuckin' huge, and he is a miserable piece of shit, but dude doesn't go hungry, or cold, and can pretty much do whatever he feels like when ever he feels like it. and yeah, dude gets laid by vacuous whores but he rarely complains about it, he just cuts them off no muss no fuss. (the fuss was left to the people who worked for him.)

So although i wouldn't trade my personality flaws for his, i am sure i'd find other uses for that kind of money.

What did he make his dough from? Day trader? Drug dealer?

What did he make his dough from? Day trader? Drug dealer?
    selling crap to a niche. tony robbins style stuff as well.

Well let's put it this way. All my unhappiness that I've experienced has come from being broke. All the stress from working a shit job, broke. The extra weight from having to eat shit junk food, broke. The bullshit lectures I hear from my otherwise awesome parents every holiday, broke.

So let's take that 60K you mentioned. Not even movie and TV money but just band money.

In the first year I've cut my student loans in half and put a down payment on a multi-family home in Philadelphia. (Fuck entertainment cities, I love my town). I now live rent free and let my tenants rent pay the mortgage each month.

Year 2 my loans are history and my cards are paid off. Even managed to throw a little into some investment accounts. Go me, I'm responsible.

Year 3's when it really gets fun. I'm taking month long cruises to Australia and Alaska and when I'm beginning construction on my own custom motorcycle. And I still have some left over to throw into savings.

Year 4 let's throw in some adversity. My new album doesn't do so hot and I'm yesterday's news. Now I'm prepared for this much earlier than it usually tends to happen to bands that should be a flash in the pan but these days seem to do well for decades. How long's Nickleback been around for anyway? Thanks to my investments I still don't have to work aside from the odd appearance if I feel like some adoration. My real estate's still paying for itself in the form of rent, my bike's built and awesome and my savings is still considerable.

Year 5 Is the year that professionally I become K-Fed. Nobody wants me there, nobody cares about my music and I'm earning nothing from entertainment. I've still got a place to live, a great bike and a comfortable savings account.

I'm the pariah of the world and I'm STILL happier than I am now.

Well let's put it this way. All my unhappiness that I've experienced has come from being broke. All the stress from working a shit job, broke. The extra weight from having to eat shit junk food, broke. The bullshit lectures I hear from my otherwise awesome parents every holiday, broke.

So let's take that 60K you mentioned. Not even movie and TV money but just band money.

In the first year I've cut my student loans in half and put a down payment on a multi-family home in Philadelphia. (Fuck entertainment cities, I love my town). I now live rent free and let my tenants rent pay the mortgage each month.

Year 2 my loans are history and my cards are paid off. Even managed to throw a little into some investment accounts. Go me, I'm responsible.

Year 3's when it really gets fun. I'm taking month long cruises to Australia and Alaska and when I'm beginning construction on my own custom motorcycle. And I still have some left over to throw into savings.

Year 4 let's throw in some adversity. My new album doesn't do so hot and I'm yesterday's news. Now I'm prepared for this much earlier than it usually tends to happen to bands that should be a flash in the pan but these days seem to do well for decades. How long's Nickleback been around for anyway? Thanks to my investments I still don't have to work aside from the odd appearance if I feel like some adoration. My real estate's still paying for itself in the form of rent, my bike's built and awesome and my savings is still considerable.

Year 5 Is the year that professionally I become K-Fed. Nobody wants me there, nobody cares about my music and I'm earning nothing from entertainment. I've still got a place to live, a great bike and a comfortable savings account.

I'm the pariah of the world and I'm STILL happier than I am now.

Most bands don't have a year 3 of that income. That's when they get to start putting free coke up their nose, donated by people still impressed with who they were. When their fame dries up a little later, they are left addicted to something they probably couldn't afford when they started doing it regularly. Next stop: Celebrity Rehab.

The reason most people in entertainment try to buy in entertainment cities is that not doing so makes it even less likely to have a year 3 of that income. It is a self-perpetuating problem that that type of money doesn't often turn into a comfortable life.

Well by year 2 I was set up, year 3 was all splurge.

Ajax Knucklebones's Avatar God fearing atheist

Amelia,

Do you really think Celebrity Rehab works for these addicts? When you hire Gary Busey as the guy who's supposed to "help" them get through this, I easily see it as just another "show" trying to get ratings. Daniel Baldwin was on the first episode. You're telling me being on the T.V. show was the only way he could get help? That none of his other brothers would kick in some cash to actually get him real help? Nah....I think most of it is PR.

Like they say..."Any publicity is good publicity". That's why most of these "celebrities" are has beens....Hurting for work.

+ Reply to Thread