+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Brave Little Cat

One Eyed Cat's Avatar Senior Member

Default Brave Little Cat

Awoke monday to the sound of my cat Kit (not in the picture) hissing. I figured they were just play fighting again. Grabbing my glasses, I noticed her limping. I thought she must have sprained it or something. I did notice two things: Nothing was out of place and she was dragging one of her hind legs as if it was dead. Took her to the Vet. It turns out she had preexisting neurological damage. It can just hit them sometimes in terms of functioning. Tried some treatments overnight. Her mobility did not really improve. I took her home today. We're going to wait 2 weeks to see if anything changes. Amazing thing: She had been a 'scaredy cat. I took her to get groomed once. They were unable to even give her a bath. Now, she's this bundle of purrs and happiness. She was cooperative at the Vet's even. It hurts a lot when she tries to walk. I set up a special room for her in a large closet space. She peeks around every time I walk by. Her purrs are anticipatory whenever I go to pet her. She is, essentially, paraplegic now. There is no definite answer to when/if that will change. She may lose the leg. It is all just amazing to me somehow. You would never know if you just walked up to her sitting. It has been an awful couple days, but she will not give up ... nor will I on her. I'll do whatever it takes to make her life as pleasant as possible.

OEC

Pull~My~Hair's Avatar makes your life seem good

Default Re: Brave Little Cat

poor kitty, i hope she gets better soon.

Your a good guy OEC.. I want to try and open a animal emergency shelter/hospital (non-profit) at some point.
    You know that Kit will be one of those lovable trouble makers in the up-coming months!! ;^)

Quote Originally Posted by VoldtaEngler
    Your a good guy OEC.. I want to try and open a animal emergency shelter/hospital (non-profit) at some point.
    You know that Kit will be one of those lovable trouble makers in the up-coming months!! ;^)
    Let me know if you do. Would be happy to help out. Yah, I'm looking forward to seeing Kit up and about. She'll do it on wheels of she has to.

Quote Originally Posted by Pull~My~Hair
    poor kitty, i hope she gets better soon.
    Thanks It's mostly about giving her a good quality of life, come what may.

Quote Originally Posted by One Eyed Cat
    She'll do it on wheels of she has to.

Best of wishes to kitty cat Kit. She's in good hands.

Thanks It's mostly about giving her a good quality of life, come what may.
    If theres anyone who cares enough to make it happen, its you.
    The turn of events have broken my heart in thoughts of you grieving over her health, as well as the though of Kit being in chronic pain! Nerve pain can be some of the most uncomfortable pain imaginable... as far as I know... (speaking from personal experience) The thought of how much she is attached to you, looking to you with that concerned and painful expression, just breaks my heart.
    Sometimes life gets hard, and sometimes it gets derned near unbearable.
    I earnestly hope everything works out.

Quote Originally Posted by OrganizedKhaos
    If theres anyone who cares enough to make it happen, its you.
    The turn of events have broken my heart in thoughts of you grieving over her health, as well as the though of Kit being in chronic pain! Nerve pain can be some of the most uncomfortable pain imaginable... as far as I know... (speaking from personal experience) The thought of how much she is attached to you, looking to you with that concerned and painful expression, just breaks my heart.
    Sometimes life gets hard, and sometimes it gets derned near unbearable.
    I earnestly hope everything works out.
    She's not in pain as long she lays in certain positions. Right now, I'm trying to figure out how to limit her movement better. She'll fight through it and get to where she wants to be. I had made her a room, but I think I'll base it around my bedroom. I woke up this morning to her laying next to me purring. I use a mattress with memory foam for my own comfort, but she still had to clear a foot or so to get up there.

OEC

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Alias
    Best of wishes to kitty cat Kit. She's in good hands.
    Thanks I'm looking up these cat wheelchairs now. If worse comes to worse, I may have a cat on wheels.

Hope your Kittuh gets better.

If she can't get her legs fixed maybe you can get one of those little harnesses with wheels on it so she can move around?

Quote Originally Posted by Velvet-Tongue
    Hope your Kittuh gets better.

If she can't get her legs fixed maybe you can get one of those little harnesses with wheels on it so she can move around?
    Thanks. Yeah, Im looking at those. Tried to post a pic of the 2 of them I just took. They were sharing a can of the wet stuff Wouldn't post.

Just Taken!

Aw well best of luck. Since I got my own kitten these stories make me even sadder now.

Quote Originally Posted by Velvet-Tongue
    Aw well best of luck. Since I got my own kitten these stories make me even sadder now.
    Yah, watching her struggle to get around kinda sux. She is doing well overall. It's more about being free from pain. She has a good spirit, she doesn't need to be perfectly physically to have a good life.

Senior_Diablo's Avatar in a rowboat

Just Taken!
    is it the one looking at the camera with an evil stare?..well, at least she's doing alright.

Quote Originally Posted by Senior_Diablo
    is it the one looking at the camera with an evil stare?..well, at least she's doing alright.
    Yah. I don't think she liked the flash. She does fine except when she tries to move around too much. I can see her starting to improve the 3-leg step though .

Yah. I don't think she liked the flash. She does fine except when she tries to move around too much. I can see her starting to improve the 3-leg step though .
    oh, i see.well thats good.... for some reason that reminds me of a dog i seen on tv that had been hit by a car and lost two legs on the same side..so its two remaining legs where on the same side but it was able to run around all willy nilly..

Quote Originally Posted by Senior_Diablo
    oh, i see.well thats good.... for some reason that reminds me of a dog i seen on tv that had been hit by a car and lost two legs on the same side..so its two remaining legs where on the same side but it was able to run around all willy nilly..
    It's pretty amazing the extent to which animals can compensate for lost limbs and other body parts. My cats' visual acuity remain strong despite both having had an eye removed at shelters. Resilience.

OEC

It's pretty amazing the extent to which animals can compensate for lost limbs and other body parts. My cats' visual acuity remain strong despite both having had an eye removed at shelters. Resilience.

OEC
    indeed.. mad skillz

SyntheticShock's Avatar ...

It makes me cry just thinking about it, I hate to see animals suffer in any way, at least she has a caring owner. I hope the best for the kitty.

Quote Originally Posted by SyntheticShock
    It makes me cry just thinking about it, I hate to see animals suffer in any way, at least she has a caring owner. I hope the best for the kitty.
    She's happy overall. Right now, I'm just trying to arrange my house to accomodate her better. She can get around, but I need to have everything low to the ground and near her. She likes to stay near me and her sister so I am rearranging my room. Need to come up with a better solution for the litter box. I may just use a dustpan and just clean it everyday.

OEC

VoltaireBlue's Avatar just is

I'm glad she is getting better.

the dustpan is not a bad idea.

Quote Originally Posted by VoltaireBlue
    I'm glad she is getting better.

the dustpan is not a bad idea.
    Thanks DIY Litter box I'm reading up on long term accomodations for disabled pets. It's pretty much trial and error at this point. She is amazingly resilient and determined though. She still does as she pleases.

OEC

+ Reply to Thread