+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Should fireworks be legal?

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

Default Should fireworks be legal?

I've lived in the American South, so California fireworks strike me as kinda pussy. On the other hand, I'm such a wuss myself that I've never personally set off anything but sparklers and those little caps you throw at the ground.

Should there be limitations on what fireworks an individual can get? Licensing? Different rules for organizations? Age limits? Darwinism in action?

Default Re: Should fireworks be legal?

best on the Mall every year in my area so professionals probably

Dark Z's Avatar Anime or Guns? Hmmm......

depends.

I mean on the one hand, I love watching stuff get blown up. BUT on the other hand, several people in my family are certified EOD so I feel safe around them.

I feel that certifications for simplified sky bursts should be available after some classes.

but most people shouldn't be screwing around with fire works. I mean I don't really care if somebody blows off their own hand, because they know what they're getting into. But if he also accidentally lights my house/apartment on fire I'd be SO pissed.

(if you're out in the desert then feel free, fire whatever you want

and your little dog too

I do not think private individuals should necessarily be able to purchase Cruise Missles for Fourth of July celebrations, unless they have first received the proper training. I hate being around untrained individuals who insist on detonating their own fireworks, but I think it is every person's right to blow off his or her hand as desired.

If you will ever notice on most any pacage of fireworks they are marked as CLASS " ".... Usually the stuff you buy at stands are all class C..If you get a licence you can buy up to class A Which is the LARGE stuff you see at fireworks displays....

So there is a little bit of limitations...

But hell we rednecks dont worry with that stuff....If it dont go BOOM big enough to suit us we make our own fireworks....

PVC Pipe Cannon fuse and black powder make Big Boom...Not pretty but damn loud...
    Now you take the small PVC tube with the gunpowder in it and insert it into another PVC pipe that is slightly larger and fill the second one with Gasoline...And then you have loud and pretty...

We are inventive ppl down here...

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Since 9/11 anything involving things that go KA-BOOM! are getting feirce regulation to obscene levels of restrictions.

It's getting so parts of this great nation feel UnAmerican. Too Safe, Too Dull, and Too Restrictive.

I mean if they take away our Fireworks, Guns, and other American Vices...we'll be like Canada! THAT CANNOT HAPPEN!

Fire works are totally illegal over here,but yet evry year tons and tons of them make it on to the streets.I think there should be a strickt age limit on them,last year i watched this 10 yr old kid blow his index finger and thumb off with a fire work.Some peoples parents dont care

DyingSunshine's Avatar Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tequila Zaire
    Since 9/11 anything involving things that go KA-BOOM! are getting feirce regulation to obscene levels of restrictions.

It's getting so parts of this great nation feel UnAmerican. Too Safe, Too Dull, and Too Restrictive.

I mean if they take away our Fireworks, Guns, and other American Vices...we'll be like Canada! THAT CANNOT HAPPEN!
    I agree.. we really can't get anymore like Canada! ACK!

I lived there for a year.. I can complain!

I think people should be able to have their fun, just as long as they are old enough to understand the consequences, and use a little common sense.

Will Judy's Avatar Senior Member

If they were entirely legal, they wouldn't be as much fun.

That said: unless your kids have extra fingers, you oughta make an effort to keep explosives out of their hands.

postcoital's Avatar Curiously Strong Altoid

I used to live near the Czech border when I was younger, and over there, they sold illegal fireworks from south-east asia. There were quite alot of kids who got burned or lost fingers and stuff. On the other hand, the fireworks didn't even cost the half of legal german stuff. I also used to build little hydrogen bombs with my father, when I was younger.
    But anyway, I don't really care if fireworks are legal or not, if people like to blow up things or themselves, I'm totally fine with that, as long as they don't molest me.

Let people light up the sky if they want. However, Parental supervision is a must if there are young children involved. That is just common sense.

Quote Originally Posted by postcoital
    But anyway, I don't really care if fireworks are legal or not, if people like to blow up things or themselves, I'm totally fine with that, as long as they don't molest me.
    Err, translation note: In informal usage, "molest" usually implies forcing sexual acts on children.

If that's what you meant (which is reasonable enough), just ingore this.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Judy
    Err, translation note: In informal usage, "molest" usually implies forcing sexual acts on children.

If that's what you meant (which is reasonable enough), just ingore this.
    Rather molesting as in harassing. But sex with fireworks sounds interesting too..

memorydream's Avatar Sage

I had a whistler firecracker fly up and hit me in the chest as a child. It was not severe. It would be nice if people could use their abilities to think about what they are doing and what their actions imply. I do not wish to make anything illegal, but people in this country love to drive drunk, get high, steal, fight and blow things up incessantly. So, I imagine, wherever such activities happen in excess, it will be made law. If property and people keep getting hurt because of fireworks in the hundreds in a particular area, I may just let it become a law.

keiko's Avatar baker of geekery

In the case of most fireworks, its natural selection. besides, our goverment randomly blows up things cause they feel like it. but i don't think the really big ones should be available to purchase by the average joe blow. pyrotechnics licenses are a must for the big stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by postcoital
    Rather molesting as in harassing. But sex with fireworks sounds interesting too..
    "Harass" in common usage has overtones of unwanted sexual attention too. Dude, what is it with American English that everything has to do with awful sex?

re: sex w/fireworks, wasn't there some skinny guy with Jim Rose or somesuch who used to stick Roman candles up his chute and fire them at the audience?

Quote Originally Posted by Will Judy
    re: sex w/fireworks, wasn't there some skinny guy with Jim Rose or somesuch who used to stick Roman candles up his chute and fire them at the audience?
    I'd pay to see that. Yet, I've only seen the Umbra Et Imago singer candle-fuck a bondage slave, but candles don't shoot flares, so it was quite boring :\

+ Reply to Thread