+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: what kind of eggs do you eat? do you eat eggs?

and your little dog too

Default what kind of eggs do you eat? do you eat eggs?

from yahoo

Which Eggs Should You Be Eating?
    Posted Wed, May 21, 2008, 11:23 am PDT
    by Alexandra Guarnaschelli

As a kid, I can remember going to the supermarket and grabbing any random cardboard carton of eggs off the shelf. I would run them home (top speed!) to my mother because they were usually going into a delicious coffeecake or batch of corn bread.

Times have changed. Cage-free? Organic? Brown? White? Omega-3s? Help! Here are some tips to help you figure out which eggs you should be eating:

* Brown or white? In actuality, color is simply an indication of the breed of hen. Find the freshest egg with the most flavor and let color be a secondary concern.

* Extra Omega-3s? Omega-3 eggs come from a hen whose diet has added flaxseed, which yields an egg containing an average of 225 mg of Omega-3 fatty acids and vitamin E. The countless health benefits for humans make these eggs a tempting purchase. My opinion? Eat a piece of fresh fish -- salmon or sardines or Atlantic mackerel, for example -- and get a pure dose of Omega-3's. Let eggs be eggs.

* Does your egg need exercise? Cage-free and free-range eggs are from hens raised without the confines of a cage, though they may or may not have spent much time outdoors. Organic eggs are from hens that are raised with the most holistic approach: their feed must meet organic standards, they must be raised humanely and sustainably, and they must be given access to the outdoors. Hey, happier hens do lay tastier eggs.

* Does local make a difference? Nothing is better than local eggs. They may have a feather or two stuck to them or a slightly imperfect shape and they may or may not be certified organic; however, they have one quality I prize: I know exactly where my food came from and how it came to be! In some cases I can even ask the farmer when the eggs were laid and what they were fed. At $2.20 for a dozen large eggs and all the information I could want about my food, I call it a bargain! I refrigerate the eggs the minute I return from the market.

* Is spending more really worth it? I think so. Some parts of your diet are hard to manage on a budget. Beef, for example, can make a costly difference if you're looking to go organic at home. Eggs are less significant. Try making one evening meal a week where your organic eggs take center stage. Make a huge open-faced vegetable omelet, for example, or try a quick chicken stir-fry and fold in a few eggs during the last two minutes of cooking.

Pull~My~Hair's Avatar makes your life seem good

Default Re: what kind of eggs do you eat? do you eat eggs?

eggs=discusting
    although I like the way brown eggs look..just in general

and your little dog too

Quote Originally Posted by Pull~My~Hair
    eggs=discusting
    although I like the way brown eggs look..just in general
    from the outside?

I usually get farm eggs from a local farmer.

Eggs are serious... ME and DB got salmonella food poisoning Feb '96!!! IT WAS HORRIBLE....

We're SO careful now with handling any sort of stuff like that... before we even touch the egg we turn on the water and put some dish soap on a paper towel, so that way we don't accidentally recontaminate something by grabbing the dish soap...

Pull~My~Hair's Avatar makes your life seem good

Quote Originally Posted by karyn
    from the outside?
    yeah definatley the outside, I think they probably look the same inside..I wonder if they taste different...but yeah brown eggs are pretty cause of their shell (:

I always buy free-range organic brown eggs. I know the color is not supposed to mean anything but the brown just feels healthier.

mmm.... I havent made my killer omelettes in a while... gosh I love 'em

I took this for a local land owner this morning, and as I depressed the shutter button, a rooster crowed.

Black Spiral Dancer's Avatar RedHead Admirer Supreme!

I hate eggs. It's a long story involving my brother about 29 years ago.

I eat the Omega-3 enriched eggs, cage free eggs, "local" farm eggs from the farmer's market. I buy cheap eggs too.

I do eat eggs often, as part of trying to revamp my health getting decent proteins, and such.

Very easy to make, scrammbled with veggies, and some tabasco

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

by different eggs I thought you meant like chicken, alligator, ostrich, platypus...

naw, I don't eat eggs. that's kinda like going down on a chick when she's on the rag. I don't want to eat chicken cum. gross.

ew.
    I dont either, thats why I carefully discard the shell...lol

Head Wreck's Avatar Dai the Llama

eggs. so useful.

if we didn't have eggs my sweet tooth would feel deprived for the lack of Meringue.

no french toast.
    no omlettes.
    pastry is out for my yoghurt cheese cheesecakes
    scrambled egg early morning camp breakfast is out.
    nothing to dip my toasted bread "soldiers" in in mornings

so much stuff is made with eggs is silly

What's a bread soldier?
    And how do you dip the bread in the egg?
    Is the egg raw?

I love all the things listed above except the one I dont know what it is.

boil an eg, just enough to solidify the white.

toast some bread, butter it and cut into thin strips, take the top off an egg, revealing the yolk. dip the thin strips of toasted bread in the yolk

Quote Originally Posted by incog
    I always buy free-range organic brown eggs. I know the color is not supposed to mean anything but the brown just feels healthier.
    brown ones are from chickens fed with corn

Quote Originally Posted by Head Wreck
    boil an eg, just enough to solidify the white.

toast some bread, butter it and cut into thin strips, take the top off an egg, revealing the yolk. dip the thin strips of toasted bread in the yolk
    I used to love to do that when I was a kid... I only consume the eggs undercooked like that if they're exclusively farm eggs, the mere thought of doing that with the ones that come from the store freaks me out... I know that not every single store bought egg contains the bacteria salmonella, its just not worth the risk.

It may be a different thing all together where you're from.

Where I'm from, we love to make gravy and biscuits... with over easy eggs, mashed well with the fork, so the whites are easily mixed thoroughly, and the yoke mixes all together completely with the gravy.
    With fried apples. or applesauce.
    I'm not big on pork products, but a well cooked piece of bacon ON RARE OCCASIONS, and sausage only if its already in the gravy is ok..
    (unless its with pancakes, then I like the sausage in links, no more than one or one and a half) ALSO on rare occasions.

I like bologna gravy the best....
    Take two -4 pieces of bologna, and slice up into small squares....
    Fry in the pan, no oil or grease necessary (I cook it way more healthy than most of the locals, who use tons of lard with everything... they actually sell it next to the Crisco vegetable shortening in the local supermarkets)

I like to get the Pillsbury frozen biscuits already made... and cook with butter on the tops and bottoms.

Once the bologna is sufficiently fried, remove, and put a nice sized tablespoon of shortening, in the pan, that was used to fry the bologna...
    allow the shortening to melt, then add salt and pepper to taste...
    Once its hot, add flour thats NOT SELF RISING.
    until the bottom of the skillet is covered in a thin layer, allow the flour to brown (and begin smellling good, but almost a bit burned... just a little)
    Take off the heat, allow to cool, and add a small amount of milk, constantly stirring, fill up the skillet with milk once the flour mixture is thoroughly blended.... and cook on med to med hi setting (depending on the stove)
    Stir every few mins to keep from scorching. Just after the milk, add the cooked bologna.
    Once it cooks down, add more milk, not a whole lot, but allow it to cook down again, till the gravy looks all nice and thick but runny....
    It will continue to thicken as it cools.

Tear up the biscuits, and pour the gravy all over the biscuits till its all covered.
    Add the egg, and stir well to mix up the flavors.
    If desired, add some fried apples or applesauce.
    Lucks makes a convenient canned fried apples product thats very close to home made.
    Mix to taste, and eat till its hard to get up from the table comfortably.....lol

Even though I was raised on it, and I like it on OCCASION... once every 3 mths or so...
    Its not particularly healthy, but it stretches a dime, and a person's not as likely to feel hungry for quite some time.

I tend to cook healthier on a daily basis... Oatmeal for breakfast, or an omelet... and if I'm not feeling like cooking, I make cereal, its always the healthy cereals.
    Snacks between meals are usually fruit...
    Lunch is usually a sandwich, or something lite...
    And supper is usually vegetables, one or two yellow's, greens and reds...
    onions, chicken, or occasionally nice cuts of beef...
    whatever... mashed potatoes...
    (its not all bland though, I cook with lots of natural flavors.. with rosemary, garlic, thyme, etc etc...)
    I try to keep the colors of the food as close as I can to the colors of the rainbow.
    To ensure antioxidants.... and other nutritive benefits.
    I make lots of salads... without dressing, I add fruit to baby spinach... and rice.
    If I do make a "dressing" I usually take yogurt, and mix with poppy seeds, and a bit of lemon juice, thinned with milk...
    Its delicious.

I've got a good lasagna recipe, another pasta/tomato stuff recipe I formulated...
    and a recipe for a mean chicken soup that cures cancer

(not intending to Hijack the thread... I'm just relating the issue with my point of view... as it effects my life)

eggs over here are lion marked, the chicken they came from has been vaccinated, but its a good point. its something i hadn't considered, considering i tend to cook for folk when i'm staying over as a thank you for putting up with me and my tea eccentricities

I think your eccentricities as you put it makes you special... it is your forte... and I think its so awesome you've found combinations of things found in nature, brewed to specific perfection, and savoured.
    Its kinda like your own science... you benefit from.

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

I always buy cage-free and free-range and I try to get vegetarian. I got the Omega-fortified ones for a while, but they started tasting a little off to me when I started using less cow milk. My favorites are sunflower sprout-fed brown ones, which I think are a California farm. Been eating them less as gas has driven up the price of eggs so much, even for semi-local ones.

Dusk's Avatar Senior Member

We have chickens in our yard but only my mum and little brother eat them, wenever I eat eggs I get really queasy

Rockwulf's Avatar Negatory

I buy the ones with the hard shell and the goop inside. They're the bestest!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Amelia G
    I always buy cage-free and free-range and I try to get vegetarian. I got the Omega-fortified ones for a while, but they started tasting a little off to me when I started using less cow milk. My favorites are sunflower sprout-fed brown ones, which I think are a California farm. Been eating them less as gas has driven up the price of eggs so much, even for semi-local ones.
    California amazes me with all its array of vast choices of stuff I've never even heard of, or fathomed.
    I'm really glad you get to make the most of it... Amelia.

If you try crushing an egg squeeze the sides, you cant break the shell if you push on the top and bottom

I'm not challenging you on that statement DUSK, I'm just having trouble picturing it....
    can you make a YOUTUBE vid or something for the mentally visually challenged.

Insted of holding an egg pointy end up and squezing the sides you puy pressure on the pointy end and the wide end.
    We tryed this in my agriculture class.

mystoo's Avatar Pirate Hooker

Mmmm...eggs..(drooly drooly) I don't care where they came from or what colour they are but melt some cheddar on 'em ...YUMMEH!

You'd like my cookin' then.

a_small_death's Avatar The ugliest dj on earth

Hot sauce and cheese on mine. I also use them in prairie oysters. Then again I has an Iron gut.

Quote Originally Posted by Dusk
    If you try crushing an egg squeeze the sides, you cant break the shell if you push on the top and bottom
    I call bullshit on that. I'm gonna make eggs tomorow and check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by a_small_death
    Hot sauce and cheese on mine. I also use them in prairie oysters. Then again I has an Iron gut.
    Is a prairie oyster anything like a mountain oyster?

mystoo's Avatar Pirate Hooker

Quote Originally Posted by Rockwulf
    It's totally true dude.

VoltaireBlue's Avatar just is

Quote Originally Posted by OliX
    brown ones are from chickens fed with corn
    that's not true. brown eggs come from a certain breed of chicken; Rhode Island Reds. my parents kept chickens when I was a kid, that's how I know this...
    that being said, I don't really like eggs. I'll cook with them, but thats about it. I usually use organic free range brown eggs. the only time I eat eggs for breakfast is maybe a few times a year. and then I only eat the yolks. something about the whites really bothers me.

VoltaireBlue's Avatar just is

+1, I know, because I've done it.

Yeah, it's crap. I had to spend an extra minute picking shell outta my egg this morning but you can totally do it.

Khrystene's Avatar Junior Member

Free Range (preferably) or Barn Laid.
    I grew up on free range from my Grandparents farm, and there's nothing to compare.

TheCosmicSheriff's Avatar If I could, would I?

Roe on my Sushi!

Yeah, it's crap. I had to spend an extra minute picking shell outta my egg this morning but you can totally do it.
    Its only crap if you do it wrong, otherwise its funny.
    And dont try it over your food unless you do it right.
    Just thought Id say we have Silky Bantems and they lay really small eggs, bout half the size of a rohde Island Red

Quote Originally Posted by OrganizedKhaos

I took this for a local land owner this morning, and as I depressed the shutter button, a rooster crowed.

Intersting fact: The moon only looks as big as it does by an optical illusion, but is seen actual RELITIVE size if you look through a camera lens, like in this photo.

+ Reply to Thread