+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What red flags will turn you off being friends with a person?

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

Default What red flags will turn you off being friends with a person?

Sometimes a person may not have directly done anything bad to you yet, but something will happen where you realize they will not be able to be a good friend.

One of my friend turn-offs is anyone who says "I hate you" in response to me getting good news is pretty much off my list. I believe many a fair truth is said in jest and a real friend feels bad for your setbacks and happy for your triumphs.

Another of mine is someone who talks really awful trash about someone else while claiming to be friends with the person or when I know the other person thinks they are friends. If they will treat one friend in a two-faced manner, then they have the potential to treat any friend that way.

What red flags will turn you off being friends with a person?

Default Re: What red flags will turn you off being friends with a person?

Dishonesty is the number one on my list. I'll rather hear "I hate you" and know they mean it, than fake "That's awesome".

Selfishness is high on the list too but not necessarily.

malcolm's Avatar the bored one.

i've kicked a few "friends" tot he curb over the years. and passed on a few would bes and it normally boils down to the way they talk or look at me.

People that go around sprouting random morality and scandal everywhere. I don't care if it's not about me yet. Say it once, and I'll start ignoring you. Say it twice, and I'll explain exactly why.

Really though, someone has to be actively interesting for me to be 'friends' with them; merely being some generic brand of nice won't get you there. I don't view human relations as being a necessity or worthwhile for their own sake, so it takes more to keep my attention than to lose it.

Ajax Knucklebones's Avatar God fearing atheist

Wow! I have just too many to list.

Capitalist pigs.

One day they will have to be liquidated, and it doesn't do to get too attached.

nathanmbailey's Avatar Batteries not included

The fact that it takes so much time and everything else for me to actually consider someone a friend, it doesn't usually end up with me ending it over something little. I will cut acquantances for any reason I want. Basically if I ignore a person entirely, I hate them. Everyone else, even if I'm the biggest asshole on a planet to, I like in some form or another.

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

I really don't have many friends

Stupidity. Ignorance. Apathy. Laziness. Free-loading. Social conservatism. Prudery. More to come, possibly.

ROGIZOID's Avatar The Grey Child

I was friends with a girl who talked shit about her best friends constantly (im not friends with her anymore).

I cannot stand envious people, people whom i thought were my friends but then were just jealous.

Moochers!! There is only so far you can go for someone before they need to start doing for themselves.

Closed-Mindedness- Your way is not the only way buddy.

I give everyone 2 chances.
    Because i try to be as open minded as possible.
    But to be my friend you need to be......one would say...."A DOWN ASS PERSON"

People need lay off the fuckery lol.

Aza's Avatar Extradimensional Penguin
    My home is everywhere and nowhere. I am the quintessential hobo.

Others have pretty much covered all of my major turn-offs. Stupidity, close-mindedness, two-faced tendencies, lack of consideration, materialism, bullheadedness, jealousy... but probably the one that stands out most formidably is a lack of personal accountability. My standards might be too high for my own good, but that's where they're staying.

Oh, and recently I had to have K teach me about a new group of people who aren't worthy of my acknowledgment; apparently the term is Message Board Troll. I'd never heard the term before I met one, but she was kind enough to explain the origin of the term, why it applied where it did, and how to set up an "Ignore" list, so that on here as in real life, I can tune out the people who display any (or many) of the behavioral defects listed in the first paragraph.

Quote Originally Posted by Aza
    Oh, and recently I had to have K teach me about a new group of people who aren't worthy of my acknowledgment; apparently the term is Message Board Troll. I'd never heard the term before I met one, but she was kind enough to explain the origin of the term, why it applied where it did, and how to set up an "Ignore" list, so that on here as in real life, I can tune out the people who display any (or many) of the behavioral defects listed in the first paragraph.

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

someone that wont hold my hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Amelia G

Another of mine is someone who talks really awful trash about someone else while claiming to be friends with the person or when I know the other person thinks they are friends. If they will treat one friend in a two-faced manner, then they have the potential to treat any friend that way.
    That's pretty much my biggest one. I have trust issues from being screwed over a bunch so I just don't bother with people like that.

I alos stay away from anyone who does hard drugs. No one I have meet who does drugs other than smoking weed has ever been worth hanging out with.

malcolm's Avatar the bored one.

im kinda iffy on the whole trash talking friends because one of my good buddies and i tend to talk a ton of trash to each other. I poke jokes at him for being of sirrian descent and he obviously has a grab abg of jokes at the ready over me albeit the majority of it comes from my random personality and question marked sexuality but we do it in fun.

and we both know it.

i can't count how many times he's called me the f word or made old gregg references to me- which i think is a hoot and i was actually gonna dress up a sold gregg this year for halloween for shits and grins and how many times i've called him terrorist etc and im still being invited to his wedding, although he did tell me i couldnt wear a dress to it.......

but we're just cool that way with each other. we've worked three seasons of spirit together, he's helped my mom out with car problems and we've gotten each other's backs quite a few times wether its a fight or picking up drunk partygoers and putting em into the car etc.

and we know how to turn it off too when it gets too heated which is harder to do for some people.

TheDeathKnight's Avatar Senior Member

Let's see...

Overt racism or sexism or any kind of sincere prejudice.

People who act like they are better than others.

Total lack of intelligence.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDeathKnight
    Overt racism or sexism or any kind of sincere prejudice.
    Oh yeah. I forgot to mention those, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Valerian Reign
    Oh yeah. I forgot to mention those, too.
    Yeah, it's a pretty high on my list too.

toxicat's Avatar catty member

the obvious ^ and...staring intently (not necessarily at me, and only with a certain energy, if you will). That may sounds weird but I overlooked it once and the dude ended up stalking me for 3 years. Yes, he was a very "healthy" vegan boy who managed vitamin stores and played bass in a band with his back to the audience.

+ Reply to Thread