+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Are you too inhibited or not restrained enough or both?

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

Default Are you too inhibited or not restrained enough or both?

I tend to feel uncomfortable singing in public without a few drinks in me and I am very inhibited about speaking in any language but English, even when I know more or less how to say what I want. Over the years, though, I have become more restrained about expressing my opinion because some people can handle really big brutal insults but never forgive one small true critique. I think I am maybe too restrained there now. Sometimes it is hard to tell whether it is better to overcome a particular inhibition or whether it is a good time to exercise restraint.

Are you too inhibited or not restrained enough or both? In what areas?

Default Re: Are you too inhibited or not restrained enough or both?

I feel I'm too inhibited when it comes to things like classroom discussions and other conversations with large groups of people. I'm actually very shy about discussing my opinions on pretty much everything because of my unique upbringing. I also have a fear of not being taken seriously in serious discussions. Both those things keep me very reserved when it comes to conversations and debates outside of the internet.

On the other hand, I also think I'm way too unrestrained when it comes to talking with women. I seem to have it in my head that I can say the first thing that comes to mind without thinking it over. Which is something that usually causes me a great amount of grief/trouble especially when the girl liked me before I opened my mouth.

nathanmbailey's Avatar Batteries not included

I'm inhibited more or less when it involves being in a large group. I'm fine in small groups and solo, but large groups annoy me. As far as doing stuff in public, I'm not restrained much at all. For a small bet or dare, I'll do something completely stupid and humiliating just for the laugh, and that's without alcohol. When I've got alcohol it's worse, I even did karioki (I know I butchered the spelling) and did a love song entirely in a growl and screaming.

malcolm's Avatar the bored one.

when i was a teenager iw as quite a loud and open little fucker. i'd strike up a conversation with just about everyone, would wear makeup in public, braid my hair even though it looked like crap and would just let my freak flag fly as much a sic ould-living in a group home ha sits limits- but nowadays i have become pretty shy.

i dont like talking to people i don't know and will usually hold my tongue about things in small groups too until i've gotten to know them and i don't wear makeup up in public either and have really made a point to try to dress 'reasonably" when in public too. but i think that's more over body image than anything else.

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

probably both, whatever is inappropriate for the situation.

I feel awkward and embarrassed whenever I buy anything because I think that the people at the store will judge my personality based on the things that I am buying. and I don't just mean for weird shit, I mean for like anything. even when I'm at the grocery store. that's the truth.

which is weird because I generally don't care what people think of me, but apparently I have hang ups about how they come to the conclusion.

Aza's Avatar Extradimensional Penguin
    My home is everywhere and nowhere. I am the quintessential hobo.

For me, it's a little of both.

I've been singing, acting, dancing, speaking, and performing in various fashions in front of huge-normous crowds of critical spectators my entire life, so often that I don't even remember what stage fright feels like. I can pass a box of condoms or even tampons across the counter to a clerk with the same cool, contented grin on my face as I wear when I'm just purchasing a soda. In fact, there's practically no topic of conversation one could ever bring up that would make me blush!

However, I purposefully inhibit myself when in conversation, mostly because I glean more by listening to a conversation than I do by butting into it every five seconds. Also, when I finally do speak, people tend to turn their heads and give me the floor. Whether that's because my voice is "alluring to the ear" or because I have a long history of knowing what I'm talking about, I can only speculate.

Bedlamite

Often far too restrained. Although I'm rather proud that restraint is more choice now-days, then a result of being insecure. In terms of performance I can act and dance without much shame (I've been made fun of by a whole audience when dancing, and it made me mad but didn't really prevent me from doing it again), however singing is crippling for me. Not sure why.

ROGIZOID's Avatar The Grey Child

Ive always been a free spirit.
    There is nothing that can hold me down, with that being said that often got me into a lot of trouble.

But thinking on it, i guess a little of both maybe.
    I feel inhibited when people are talking about something that i dont know.
    Not knowing things bothers me.
    I also feel inhibited when someone of importance is trying to talk to me about the way i feel.
    I close up very tightly.

If/When people meet me they will always try to throw that lasso around me.
    For the most part im not restrained enough.
    And i'd like to keep it that way.
    : ]

nathanmbailey's Avatar Batteries not included

Quote Originally Posted by Morning Glory
    probably both, whatever is inappropriate for the situation.

I feel awkward and embarrassed whenever I buy anything because I think that the people at the store will judge my personality based on the things that I am buying. and I don't just mean for weird shit, I mean for like anything. even when I'm at the grocery store. that's the truth.

which is weird because I generally don't care what people think of me, but apparently I have hang ups about how they come to the conclusion.
    That bag cereal isn't mine, it's for a cheap neighbor of mine. And I couldn't find any toilet paper in anything smaller than a 2000 roll pack.

But those are my hot pockets.

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

well if you are eating hot pockets than the 2000 rolls of TP makes sense.

theDragon_svDragcos's Avatar "Vampyre" / Senior Member
    ...~"No where in paticular"~...I've never had any Regular home ~ I moved around a'Lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Amelia G
    I tend to feel uncomfortable singing in public without a few drinks in me and I am very inhibited about speaking in any language but English, even when I know more or less how to say what I want. Over the years, though, I have become more restrained about expressing my opinion because some people can handle really big brutal insults but never forgive one small true critique. I think I am maybe too restrained there now. Sometimes it is hard to tell whether it is better to overcome a particular inhibition or whether it is a good time to exercise restraint.

Are you too inhibited or not restrained enough or both? In what areas?
    __________________________________________________ ________
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

- I Am So Totaly Comfortable an' at Home ON STAGE, I've been SINGING/ACTING/DANCING My WHOLE LIFE since "4, 5 yrs old",..
    ~ ~ (*and I DO NOT "Drink Alcohol" nor "smoke" or "Do ANY drugs")..

- though, I am VERY uncomfortable in the middle of a Crowd of people,

Feel very Out of place an' not Good Enough to be around "People",..
    PUT ME ON STAGE THOUGH,.~ I'M HOME!!

- as for Other things that create that Sense of Inhibited?...
    it Varies depending on WHAT the moment and situations are,...
    :[EXAMPLES]:
    In WORK, ~ I AM A SERIOUS TAKE CHARGE,
    NO PRISONERS LIVE, Type..VERY STRONG WILLED,...

~ Haveing No HOME?,..
    I FACE WITH the SMILE n' HEARTYNESS
    of THE WARRIOR IN BATTLE
    ~ LAUGHING IT UP NEVER BACK DOWN, or GIVE IN,..
    ( *DIE on the STREET STANDING TALL, OR WIN! )...
    which I HAVE DONE "TWICE" in "L.A"
    in TWENTY YRS...

- in "S*x"??....
    ..I Get VERY Uncomfortable in a "Public level' sense,
    Privately I am a Bit more relaxed, Yet still retain
    an Old world constanence and bit of a 1800's sensabillaty,.....
    ~:{ *though I Am NOT a supporter or advocate of "CHAUVANISM",
    I very much Admire an' Supportive a Woman who Has
    her Own self an' Understanding, an' Does Strong Endeavours
    ].

usually I totally OBLIVIOUSE to things
    falling into THIS catagory, ~ Socially,..
    I Never really got use to or Knew how to pursue
    That kind'a stuff, ~ growing Up,...
    I Lived ALONE most my Life then,
    so I Never Had any "REAL" lifelong FRIEND(ships),
    nor a Girlfriend ~ ( 'till I was 28' )............

I AM Not COMFORTABLE with Others' *seeing (me) ~ In PERSON..
    though I have Had "*photos" taken of Me (Very FEW)
    so its' Not that same thing that way,...................
    I Prefer BEING Totally coverd UP, generally...
    ~ (Like a WRAPED UP ESKIMO, - LOL ].

+ Reply to Thread