+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Mortality and Music

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Default Mortality and Music

A question brewed up a few nights back and it kinda stuck around longer than I thought it would. It’s mainly because the more one thinks on it the more interesting the answer is.

The Question: Is the fact that we’re mortal the driving power behind music?

The more I think about the songs that really mean something to me the more I feel they would lose all their power and meaning if I lived forever or if we were not so aware of our mortality. If we didn’t think death was such a big deal I doubt many great bands would even be around today let alone music sounding or evolving the way it has.

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

Default Re: Mortality and Music

yes? I think that all things we do stem from our mortality. some of the thing's that we do are to try and prevent our eventual deaths, some of them are to prepare for it, and most of them are to try and ignore it, although we tell ourselves it's because we want good, fullifilling lives, but if that was true, we'd never do anything that we hated. But it's easier to live a life that sucks, because faced with the only alternative, death seems by far worse. we'd rather the world we know ( and love, hate and fear) then the one we couldn't understand. at some point whether we realise it or not, we know that we will die, so we try and make things that last beyond ourselves as mortals. We create things to fill the void after death, and the void's during life. life itself is a product of death.

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

I'm probably just playing devil's advocate here, but I think that I would enjoy more things more if I knew I was immortal. I'm a workaholic, so stopping to smell the roses is difficult for me. If I knew I had all the time in the world, I think pleasure would come easier.

I don't know. could you ever really savor a moment if it lasted forever? I would think if we had all the time in the world we'd be apathetic to everything because it would all just be taken for granted. I guess it just all depends on what you consider valuable. but I just think the fact that you could lose everything is what makes anything so important now, because you have to enjoy it while you can, cuz you know someday it won't be there.

PS. I also think that maybe you shouldn't work so hard, and take some time out to smell those roses. haha

Life would suck if we were immortal, in a cosmic way! Everything I do, I remember that one day, I'm gonna get old, and die. For all I know, I could be hit by a bus tomorrow; a lot of the songs and poems I write are about stuff like that, or come from it.

Also, I think some people make music so that they'll be remembered. Who isn't afraid that they'll be lost to time, never make an impact on someone's life? Music's just another way of doing that.

I think I would be able to enjoy life a lot more if I didn't have the feeling that it all was slipping away..... Immortality would make things so much more bearable. It's easy to say that hardships are just temporary, but knowing that you had all the time you wanted to put things right would be so nice.....

Same place but I have been just about everywhere inbetween

I dunno I think that's what gets me goign the fatc that I have to do the best i can and be the best person I can because I won't be here forever. I really don't know when my time will come so I must make the best of everymoment. Every descision I make and every act I commt to...I have to make them positive for me and the people that matter around me...if I lived for ever in this body I would get bored....I'm at that point where I see the cycles in society and have a feeling for the rythm of it all. Plus our flesh is only part of who were....are and will be

Same place but I have been just about everywhere inbetween

like typing better, and proof reading before I post, god I am so sorry people...grrrr.....

+ Reply to Thread