+ Reply to Thread

Thread: ADD Anyone?

TheQuietPlace's Avatar The Delivery Expert

Default ADD Anyone?

How many of you here were diagnosed with ADD/ADHD during your teen years, or still have it today?

I have it... heh heh

Default Re: ADD Anyone?

I think I have ADD, but I've never been diagnosed with it.

Damniel's Avatar Senior Member

What's that?

The little frog Bubbles's Avatar Junior Member

I was and i guess i still have it im also OCD

KilLAtomiK's Avatar Ceci n'est pas une pirate

i have the exact oposite of it im so calm evryone used to think i was a pot head in high school however i dont do drugs im an alcoholic

killerkat's Avatar Malice?

Quote Originally Posted by KilLAtomiK
    i have the exact oposite of it im so calm evryone used to think i was a pot head in high school however i dont do drugs im an alcoholic

haha me too, but i did do drugs,alot of em,umm....a WHOLE lot of em...........and it extended all the way back to elementary school........haha, started early........

23*'s Avatar Stranger than fiction
    Ireland With the Leprechauns and the little people.

The best thing about ADD is the money you can make off selling the pills!

kellie's Avatar Senior Member

Raises hand

morbid_lady's Avatar Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Damniel
    What's that?
    Attention Defecit Disorder
    and ADHD is attention deficit with hypertension disorder

They cure your ADD/ADHD temporarily with speed. Hehe ^.^

suicidal_tendencies's Avatar Senior Member

i have.....wow look at the......omg youll never.....
    what was i saying?

ADHD.. and they never put me on meds wich is a good thing but it is really bad when I need to do something important.
    Shadow~

funkatron's Avatar Dead Agent

Quote Originally Posted by morbid_lady
    Attention Defecit Disorder
    and ADHD is attention deficit with hypertension disorder
    Attention Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder, actually.

Quote Originally Posted by TheQuietPlace
    How many of you here were diagnosed with ADD/ADHD during your teen years, or still have it today?

I have it... heh heh
    I was only recently (about a year ago) diagnosed as ADD. I've had some success treating it with medication: at first Adderall, but now Strattera. I like the latter better because it's not an amphetamine, which can be fun for a bit, but tended to make me even more anxious than I am normally.

I wish I had been diagnosed sooner (I'm 29 now), because it explains many of the problems I had academically in junior high, high school and college.

adorn_shadow's Avatar Senior Member

I was diagonosed with ADD when i was 14. I still have it today. ohh look a quarter!

Kidthorazine's Avatar hippiepotsmoker

i have ADD but not the hyperactive kind i just kind of get spaced out alot adderal helps but i hate the way you feel when you come off of it so i dont take it that often i thinks adderal is better used when you need quick cash

a friend of mine told me that aderal shrinks your dick (just temporarily of course), anyone know if this is true???

aXa's Avatar Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by KilLAtomiK
    i have the exact oposite of it im so calm
    me to on the calm thing. i was prescribed ritalin as a youngun, but me parents stopped giving it to me: ty parental units! they didnt like the way i behaved on it. and i didnt like the way it made me feel. plus, the school wanted to be in charge of administering it. and they woulda wanted me to attend "special" classes. eww. the only special classes i ever took were college prep type advanced courses in high school.
    i didnt have problems w being distracted. at times i was too focused on things. but i did end up w socializing issues later on...i now have a "generalized panic/anxiety disorder" that is the cause of that tho

Quote Originally Posted by 23*
    a friend of mine told me that aderal shrinks your dick (just temporarily of course), anyone know if this is true???
    Never happened to me. In fact, like most amphetamines, it tends to make you hypersexual. JFK is a good example of that (he took tons of amphetamines while in office to combat severely debilitating back pain, among other problems).

Quote Originally Posted by aXa
    me to on the calm thing. i was prescribed ritalin as a youngun, but me parents stopped giving it to me: ty parental units! they didnt like the way i behaved on it. and i didnt like the way it made me feel. plus, the school wanted to be in charge of administering it. and they woulda wanted me to attend "special" classes. eww. the only special classes i ever took were college prep type advanced courses in high school.
    i didnt have problems w being distracted. at times i was too focused on things. but i did end up w socializing issues later on...i now have a "generalized panic/anxiety disorder" that is the cause of that tho
    Yeah, sounds like you were misdiagnosed -- a lot of docs tend to be quick to give out ADD/ADHD meds to kids when it's not necessarily a clear diagnosis. Extreme focus on certain things is a symptom of ADD, but certainly not the only one.

Quote Originally Posted by funkatron
    Never happened to me. In fact, like most amphetamines, it tends to make you hypersexual. JFK is a good example of that (he took tons of amphetamines while in office to combat severely debilitating back pain, among other problems).
    is that true about JFK? ....cool....

Quote Originally Posted by Kidthorazine
    i have ADD but not the hyperactive kind i just kind of get spaced out alot adderal helps but i hate the way you feel when you come off of it so i dont take it that often i thinks adderal is better used when you need quick cash
    That's what's so significant about Strattera -- it's the first med approved for ADD treatment that is not an amphetamine. You might talk to your psychiatrist about it.

Quote Originally Posted by 23*
    is that true about JFK? ....cool....
    Yeah. It was actually quite a bad thing, though, because the level of drugs he was getting certainly made him a less stable thinker -- and some feel a more compulsive risk-taker -- than he would have been otherwise.

http://www.discoverychannel.co.uk/al...feature1.shtml

Knowing this, the fact that nuclear war didn't break out during the Cuban Missile Crisis is all the more surprising.

I was diagnosed at the young age of 5.

.....After I headbutted this one chick who worked at the day care I went to... If I remember right she had to go to the hospital.... According to my dad I liked to headbutt people when I was a baby.

keiko's Avatar baker of geekery

I was diagnosed as a classic 504 Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder. I don't buy into the whole thing at all though. I really believe that ADHD means that this kid is so smart or whatever that being stuffed into a little box by the "system" makes them "act out". That's my take anyway.
    K

Muzz's Avatar Senior Member

I was diagnosed with it as a kid because during lessons I wouldn't pay attention to anything but the flock of crows outside. *shrugs* The lessons were boring. I didn't try throughout school until I hit high school and I'm pulling a 4.0. I'm a slight self motivator with a little yearning to impress others around me and keep up with higher levels of knowledge.

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

Quote Originally Posted by keiko
    I was diagnosed as a classic 504 Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder. I don't buy into the whole thing at all though. I really believe that ADHD means that this kid is so smart or whatever that being stuffed into a little box by the "system" makes them "act out". That's my take anyway.
    K

I tend to agree with Keiko on this one. I was never diagnosed with the more currently trendy ADD/ADHD, but I got tested for everything from color-blindness to autism. Really I was just shy from always being the new kid in school and bored because I'd frequently already had a lesson at a previous school and found it far more interesting to read books hidden in my desk than listen to a teacher who was less bright than my parents.

Quote Originally Posted by AmeliaG
    I tend to agree with Keiko on this one. I was never diagnosed with the more currently trendy ADD/ADHD, but I got tested for everything from color-blindness to autism. Really I was just shy from always being the new kid in school and bored because I'd frequently already had a lesson at a previous school and found it far more interesting to read books hidden in my desk than listen to a teacher who was less bright than my parents.
    Exactamundo! The moment that killed my faith in public schooling was when i was in my sophmore english class reading "lord of the flies" and the ex-collage professor teaching at a highschool said, and I quote, " notice how there are no snakes on the island. there are no snakes on any island. well there were snakes in I reland, but that was before Saint Patrick." I HAD to speak up. " Saint patric drove out the druids, not literall snakes. druids were referred to as snakes because of their tattoos and their hooded robes. Patrick drove them under ground and broght Christianity to the island."
    "No the druids were long gone before patric ever got there."

please tell me i'm not the only one to see the myriad of holes in this "teacher's" teachings! perhaps the lack of snakes in the book is becase the author didn't write about them? it's not like the book is based on a true story. in any case, that's when i quit school.
    K

Weblogger
    Born in London, bred in Yorkshire, laid in Dublin.

K
    Pretty much what they tried to foist on me, until another doctor, not quite so system-oriented, diagnosed me as being bored because the classwork wasn't stretching me. I jumped a couple of years in school and the 'problem' vanished.

I was a very hyper child, but I guess all the drama at home, made me calm down and enjoy school. Paying attention was necessary if I was going to get out of there later on in life.

Hula Hoop Supervisor

I've never been able to see how educated adults can't understand that putting kids in school for 8 hours a day everyday followed by on average 2 hours of homework would conflict with a kids natural energetic ways.

As an adult would you rather sit in your office for 8 hours or run around having fun? You know as an adult WHY you have to do it...but as a kid...it's too much. Kids would have less of these disorders if parents and teachers stopped teaching them for so many hours in such limited ways. You can't learn anything in incremental shots day after day.

It's just silly to think you can get a 10 year old to sit and look at a board for 8 hours a day month after month.

morbid_lady's Avatar Senior Member

my cousin had ADHD and he was pretty violent. they put him on ridalin, it made him calm down a bit, but it made him more violent.

DharmaLion's Avatar Devil's Advocate

Diagnosed @ age 6, medicated until age 22

Ritalin, like Paxil, is the root of the "drug problem" in this country. If we don't feel perfect all the time we should take a pill to make it better. *sigh* Have a headache? Take a pill. Feeling less than perky? Take a pill. Can't sit still for 8 hrs? Take a pill...
    K

Quote Originally Posted by DharmaLion
    Diagnosed @ age 6, medicated until age 22

And....?

Meaning, you felt the results are..... ??

Ritalin, like Paxil, is the root of the "drug problem" in this country. If we don't feel perfect all the time we should take a pill to make it better. *sigh* Have a headache? Take a pill. Feeling less than perky? Take a pill. Can't sit still for 8 hrs? Take a pill...
    K

So true. The saddest one appears to be "Oh, you feel like molesting kids? Take a pill."

DharmaLion's Avatar Devil's Advocate

Quote Originally Posted by tinstar
    And....?

Meaning, you felt the results are..... ??

many, many years of feeling like I was broken.

The medication never did anything for me except make me feel diseased. It has taken (takes) alot of hard work to stay focused and organized.

It is also important to understand that this is most definately a biological (chemical imbalance specificly) issue that CAN be treated with medication.

I was diagnosed back when this was still a very, very new thing and the educational system, the medical system, and the pharma companies were ill-equiped to handle the problems associated with ADHD.

I have learned to live with it and even thrive in many ways, but I can definately say that after many years of therapy I still feel "broken" because of it.

edit for crappy speeling

sheramil's Avatar Maracite Inreach program

well there were snakes in Ireland, but that was before Saint Patrick." I HAD to speak up...

(snip)

please tell me i'm not the only one to see the myriad of holes in this "teacher's" teachings!
    you're right. the teacher was wrong.

however, that was perhaps not the best way to deal with the situation. calling attention to misinformation/crap/outright lies that teachers are sometimes forced to spout only reminds them of how powerless they are... and then, they take it out on you.

best advice i can offer is from the collage artist who calls himself Winston Smith:

JUST ACT LIKE NOTHING'S WRONG.

+ Reply to Thread