+ Reply to Thread

Thread: do you believe in cryptids?

malcolm's Avatar the bored one.

Default do you believe in cryptids?

and if so, what are some cryptid stories from where you're from?

Default Re: do you believe in cryptids?

I'm on the skeptic side when it comes to most cryptids but I honestly believe Chupacabra is real. I live in South Texas and most of the Mexican families down here have at least one relative with a Chupacabra story.

Also when I lived in Panama the maid who used to come and clean our house on base used to tell my sister and I about a Chupacabra like creature but I forgot what the other name she had for it was.

Her story was that when she was a little girl in one of the small Kuna indian villages Cattle would turn up mysteriously sick and die every few days and eventually they figured out that it was due to blood loss. So they started setting out traps filled with chickens to try and lure the beast(s) out. The traps would turn up with the chickens decapitated and their innards sucked out. Eventually they managed to kill the creature or one of the creatures with some poison and then they ate its body and burned its head so that it couldn't come back to life.

She also used to tell us about the Mud Witch or something like that (my Spanish sucked then and it sucks now). But that wasn't a story about a Cryptid just some crazy chick who ran around snatching children out of their beds and making soup out of them.

chupacabras are a pretty popular cryptid out here too.

That's why I figure that the Chupacabra must be real.

All over the southern US, Central and South America there are reports of a Chupacabra like creature running around. It stands to reason that there has to be some crazy little blood sucking critter running around causing havoc. Although it could also just be hungry Albino Mexican Vampires...who else eats goats, chicken entrails and cow blood?

ummmmm mexicans? lol just kidding. althouhg i think tacos a lingua is kinda gross sounding. (cow tongue tacos)

the only problem with chupacabras is theres such a varied report on waht they are some areas say it's a little feathered spiney thingy and others say it's a giant alien bird and other people think it's a demon thingy.

Dusk's Avatar Senior Member

What do you mean by cryptid?

And maybe these are all related, just look different like different types of bird

Quote Originally Posted by malcolm
    ummmmm mexicans? lol just kidding. althouhg i think tacos a lingua is kinda gross sounding. (cow tongue tacos)

the only problem with chupacabras is theres such a varied report on waht they are some areas say it's a little feathered spiney thingy and others say it's a giant alien bird and other people think it's a demon thingy.

Are you kidding?! Cow Tongue and Avocado tacos with fresh flour tortillas and a little bit of salt are some of the best breakfast/lunch tacos around

Anyway, I've always imagined Chupacabras to look like 3 toed sloths with large fangs and gigantic bug eyes. Which probably falls under the demon thingy category but that's always been a more fearsome image to me than the crazed ostrich with a tongue like a straw a lot of people imagine it as.

cryptids are critters like the yeti, bigfoot, nessie, etc. its a term used in reference to creatures that have not been scientifically proven to exist.

kinda like the giant squid used to be

Quote Originally Posted by RnR
    Are you kidding?! Cow Tongue and Avocado tacos with fresh flour tortillas and a little bit of salt are some of the best breakfast/lunch tacos around
    Ewwwwwwwwwww....pass! lol

Man, if you didn't know it was cow tongue you'd eat it and ask for seconds So tender and delicious

im sure i'd say the thing about mountain oysters or chitterlings but the problem is i do know what it is lol.

I've never had mountain oysters but I've been in the room when chitlins were prepared and eaten my fill. I know this is derailing the thread but I've just got to throw this out there.

Chitlins even when prepared right stink to high heavens and to the hells below and also taste like ass. If you are ever going to eat chitlins just save yourself the trouble and chug a bottle of hot sauce. Because that is the only thing that makes them edible and a bottle full of hot sauce is pretty much mandatory if you're going to eat even a small bowl full. I'd also like to add any kitchen where Collard Greens and Chitlins is being prepared is not a kitchen anyone with a nose wants to be near. The smell rivals that of an outhouse.

i know. they're pretty popular where im from originally.-memphis-

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

in a word, no.

Cows tongue tastes awesome. Best meat ever.

Anyway, I don't believe or not believe in things I know as little about as the chupacabra thing, but I do know that it's tricky to say that something must be true because a lot of people that wouldn't lie to you have stories about it. The thing with popular myths is that everyone and their dog starts attributing every almost-mysterious event in their lives to them; you can spot this by seeing that the more popular a superstition gets, the more abstract and broadly defined it becomes. Think of witchcraft, or religion at that; everyone living in times and places where these are or were popularly believed in has stories about how they affected their lives.

Chupacabra isn't there yet, but already there's more variety in the ways it may look and the things it may eat than when it was first heard of. Next thing it'll probably start stealing items from farms or spreading diseases among livestock.

Here we have the Western Diamondback Jackalopian Chupacabrian Sasquatch. Scariest fucking thing ever.

lol jackalope...ever seen one of those things?-the stuffed ones i mean- so cute.
    and yeah, i know it's a jack rabbit with horns stuck on it lol

Well there have been Cryptids that have been proven to exist. And Im sure that there are species that havent even been seen.

that is true. there have been some animals considered cryptids who have been discovered as well as animals thought long extinct that have been found alive too.

ofcourse the day someone spots a live "meg" (megalodon) is the day i think I'll start taking chinchilla baths.........
    <----selachophobic.

well yes, I know that there are many undiscovered species, but most of them are not fabulous and wholly unknown to any existing types of creatures such as the big foot or lock ness monster would be.

Although maybe on the bottom of the ocean there is all kinds of crazy shit. I mean just look at some of the stuff that they have allready found there.

nathanmbailey's Avatar Batteries not included

Hey! Jackalopes are real! I've seen one, and not a stuffed one in a Texas gift shop.

Ajax Knucklebones's Avatar God fearing atheist

I think bigfoot is bullshit. The stories have been around since I was a little kid, yet, not one person has ever gotten a great picture of one. In fact the only "real" evidence they think they have is that film footage from the 60's. Come on! With all the technological advances we have made since then, not one person can get and kind of video or pictures better than a flick from the 60's? Nah...I call shenanagins on that one. We even have the "Skunk Ape" here in the Everglades which once again has only been photographed far far away and blurry. Bullshit to attract tourists, I think.

As far as the Lockness monster, it's possible, as long the lake is super deep to have a creature that mostly lives down way way way below and only comes up to the top of the water very infrequently. Still though, that's probably bullshit too.

Chupacabra, Jersey Devil, what have you. It probably is just a fast nocturnal creature that is an already known existing species, but do to it's speed and under the cover of darkness, nobody ever gets a good enough look at it to see what kind of animal it really is.

Has anyone ever seen "Monsterquest", btw? Nothing like watching a show for an hour that is all about finding the real deal when it comes to cryptids, yet they never really find shit. The show's a waste.

aXa's Avatar Senior Member

hey! i love that show. i find that it updates a lot of the stories of cryptids that i heard about as a kid, who still believed in monsters. one of the theories that they go into on the show in a few episodes is that the strange animal is just something that is already known to exist, just not know to live in that area. the reason people can't identify it is that they have never seen such a creature in their area.

you got a point there. it's like the thunderbird.

evyerone keeps talking about this ginormous bird big enough to pick up little kids and shit and yet the only picture evidence i've seen so far of em is just turkey vultures.

If the killer suspect on CSI was a bigfoot, they'd never catch the fucker.

That would be the best episode ever.

aXa's Avatar Senior Member

quick! call in fox mulder!

that show used to be epic before they just went exclusively into alien conspiracies about his sister.

Ajax Knucklebones's Avatar God fearing atheist

Quote Originally Posted by aXa
    hey! i love that show. i find that it updates a lot of the stories of cryptids that i heard about as a kid, who still believed in monsters. one of the theories that they go into on the show in a few episodes is that the strange animal is just something that is already known to exist, just not know to live in that area. the reason people can't identify it is that they have never seen such a creature in their area.
    But that's my point. They never find "monsters". If they ever really did, I'd watch that show like crazy.

It almost like "Ghosthunters" but lamer. Just once I'd like to watch "Ghosthunters" and see some REALLY freaky shit. Instead, they get a few EVP's, maybe a couple of strange sounds being heard, possibly some "thing" on film, but never anything that makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up. I've seen a few really weird things on that show, but nothing that scares the shit out of me. I want to be scared, damn it! And freaked the fuck out!

everyone does i think. fear causes certain chemicals to build up and course through the body like adrenaline.

that show used to be epic before they just went exclusively into alien conspiracies about his sister.
    I knew it would turn out like that, because it is a major thing in Mulders life, it why he got in to the Aliens and stuff.

true. the season without mulder and scully wasnt much help either.

grebo's Avatar Senior Member

i was attacked by a dropbear, i was lucky to escape with my life

is that like a snipe?

true. the season without mulder and scully wasnt much help either.
    I havent seen all of them yet, but im working on it.

i was attacked by a dropbear, i was lucky to escape with my life
    I once convinced a tourist that kangeroos where adult drop bears lol

Whatever it is that lives behind the dryer and steals left socks, I believe in it.

it's that pan guy form narnia. he uses them as horn warmers.

Quote Originally Posted by nathanmbailey
    Hey! Jackalopes are real! I've seen one, and not a stuffed one in a Texas gift shop.
    so..... arethose giant camel spider thingys poisonous over there? yaknow, those big ass spider thingys like the size of a dog?

Ive seen a ground spider, at least thats what I think it was called. I dont know if it was poisonous but my grandfather picked it up with a dustpan and broom and it sat there with its legs hanging over the sides enjoying the ride.

+ Reply to Thread