+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Anyone Read DaVinci Code?

Dead_Fukin_Last's Avatar Member

Default Anyone Read DaVinci Code?

I'm reading it now and it is quite intriging how the catholic church has really spun this world upside down. I always did want "to see the pope at the end of a rope, i think he's a fool".

anyways, just looking for feedback as far as men driving women out.

23*'s Avatar Stranger than fiction
    Ireland With the Leprechauns and the little people.

Default Re: Anyone Read DaVinci Code?

yeah this should be pretty interesting.

I haven't read it but obviously have been hearing a lot about it. I've never been one to read something just because its popular but maybe this really is good stuff?

Damniel's Avatar Senior Member

I've read it and Angels and demons to wich it's supposed to be the "precuel" but i think the code it's beeter the other one it's quite intriguing but with more hollywood fiction, but all the thing they say about the church and stuff ARE real, and yes the church has done quite damage to the human kind, catholic and cristianity and stuff isn't not even 5% of what it ahould really be, yet i couln't care less but it's good to be infromed... good bokk and fast too...

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

it's funny because if you did research you'd see that the book was intended to be a work of fantasy and has very little factual basis at all. The church and religious people generated thier own contraversy by getting freaked out by it, and consequently did more to add to the image that they are hiding something than the book did by itself.

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

here's an old review I gave the book on another forum:

I read several critical anylisis' written both for and against THE DIVINCI CODE and found them to be kind of ridiculous. the one's that are against it pick apart all the inconsistancies in the book, almost none of which effect the overall plot, but only seem to serve to discredit Brown. the other one's just talks about historical events and therories, most of which have little to do with the book.

The basis of this book, aside from the murder mystery is that- The Bible is an edited work that was compliled by the Church, That there are many aspects of Christianity that are similiar to ancient religions, and that many aspects of Christianity are in fact based upon Pagan rituals... This is all true, any scholar and historian will tell you that... beyond that the core of the book is the theory that jesus' liniage can be traced back to modern day. which of course, is not based on fact, which Brown doesn't seem to say that it is, and is certainly not original.

This contraversy is lame. I'd say don't read this book because it's not very entertaining as a work of fiction and not very acurate as a fact. anyone who has studied religions will know all this information allready, and if you haven't, perhaps The Divinci Code isn't the best place to start.

you should read "Holy Blood , Holy Grail" & "The Messianic Legacy"

those are the books that Davinci Code is based on....

az

The Da Vinci Code was a Awsome Book I was really surpiriesd how the Church has hid so much from society. Its sad that they dont want us know the truth about Jesus and Mary. And I"m looking Forward to reading Angles and Demons.

keiko's Avatar baker of geekery

Quote Originally Posted by Azteroth391
    you should read "Holy Blood , Holy Grail" & "The Messianic Legacy"

those are the books that Davinci Code is based on....

az

Damn. Beat me to it.
    K

sheramil's Avatar Maracite Inreach program

haven't read it. i tend to stay away from the highbrow literary stuff like that. i read real lowbrow trash, like Thomas Pynchon's Gravity's Rainbow, anything by Umberto Eco... James Blish on the life of Roger Bacon: Doctor Mirabilis... Lovecraft, William S Burroughs, Hunter S Thompson... throwaway garbage.

"Who are these Swine ? These flag-sucking half-wits
    who get fleeced and fooled
    by stupid little rich kids like George Bush?
    ..... They speak for all that is cruel and stupid and vicious
    in the American character....
    I piss down the throats of these Nazis.
    And I am too old to worry about
    whether they like it or not. Fuck Them."
    - Hunter S. Thompson, "Kingdom of Fear"

I like your comments. What I'm still trying to figure out is what the big deal is?? Jesus was an incredible human being, period. I fully believe he was the "Son of God" as was a number of our human mentors throughout the ages. So what if he was married with a blood line iminent. That takes nothing away from the fact He was the catalist towards children's rights, women's rights, democracy at its core and more than anything enlightenment! One would have to be truly enlightened to work with the purpose of the universe as He did. A great book about indirectly a GreatMan and His Wife....end of story!!!

Bedlamite

I love the ideas and thoughts that come up from reading something like the DaVinci Code. HOWEVER I think that Dan Brown really took a few facts, and screwed up what could have been a really cool exploration of women's role in early Christianity. I respect him for the try, but the reality of Christanity, its factions and rituals is much more interesting.

Also, I think that the DaVinci code is a problem because it seems to do alot of work in its fictions to discredit some very special thoughts about the subject. The whole thing was intended to bring some ideas to popular culture, however in a way, it puts it out as a big target for Christian cynics to shoot down.

I have always been facinated by the gospels of Mary, gnostic books missing from the modern bible, and how the female powers present in early Christianity were faded or shoved out of the religion. I have always thought that if there were a female like Mary Magdaline who was an equal in the world of the disiples, that a strong independend minded woman like me might have had someone to look up to in the Christain religion.

Oh Well. Guess I'll just have to stay a heathen cynic.

Same place but I have been just about everywhere inbetween

Somone Beat me to Holy Blood Holy Grail

Kidthorazine's Avatar hippiepotsmoker

i read it i didnt think it was all that great and knew right of the bat alot of it wasnt true but it had an interesting story i didnt like how it was written it seemed like a textbook at times it would be better if more of the stuff was based in fact and not bullshit or exxagerations

Genesis's Avatar Member

I liked Angels and Demons, Holy Blood Holy Grail and DaVinci Code. I couldn't put The DaVinci Code down once I started it. I think that Dan Brown is a good writer and I'm happy that he did a lot of research for the book.

+ Reply to Thread