+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Russian Roulette?

One Eyed Cat's Avatar Senior Member

Default Russian Roulette?

From The Times
    October 15, 2007

‘Suicide bombers plot to kill Vladimir Putin’

Tony Halpin in Moscow

A gang of suicide bombers were plotting to assassinate President Putin during his historic visit to Iran, it was alleged last night.

The Kremlin confirmed that President Putin had been told of a conspiracy to kill him during his trip to Tehran for a summit of Caspian Sea nations tomorrow. The Interfax news agency reported that Russian special services had learnt that a team of suicide bombers and kidnappers had been training to kill or capture the Russian leader.

A Kremlin spokeswoman confirmed that the President had been informed of a plot but declined to comment further.

Iran dismissed the report last night, however, as “completely without foundation”. Muhammad Ali Hosseini, the Iranian foreign ministry spokesman, said that the alleged plot was “part of a psychological war waged by enemies to disrupt relations between Iran and Russia”.

Interfax reported that several teams of suicide bombers had been preparing to kill President Putin in Iran. It said that “a reliable source” in one of the Russian special services had received the information from foreign contacts.
    The Russian President arrived in Germany yesterday evening for a meeting with Angela Merkel, the Chancellor, and is due to fly on to Tehran tonight. He is the first Kremlin leader to visit Iran since Joseph Stalin flew to a summit with Winston Churchill and Franklin D. Roosevelt, his wartime allies, in 1943.

He is to meet Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, his Iranian counterpart, and take part in the Caspian nations summit tomorrow with the leaders of Iran, Azerbaijan, Kazakhstan and Turkmenistan, where they will discuss dividing up the energy-rich sea.

It was unclear last night who the alleged plotters were and why Iran was chosen for any assassination attempt. Russia is opposed to demands from the United States and other Western nations for tougher United Nations sanctions against Tehran over its nuclear ambitions. It is one of the few countries that has maintained good relations with Tehran and is continuing to build a nuclear power plant at Bushehr for Iran. The US and European powers accuse Iran of secretly trying to develop nuclear weapons, although President Ahmadinejad insists that the programme is purely for civil energy purposes.

Under threat
    — Security officials in Ukraine foiled an assassination attempt on President Putin in Yalta in 2000
    — Azeri secret service uncovered a plot against him in Baku, the capital, in 2001
    — The Kremlin linked both alleged attempts to Chechen terrorists. Mr Putin, as Prime Minister, sent troops into Chechnya in 1999 to crush separatists

malcolm's Avatar the bored one.

Default Re: Russian Roulette?

damn!putin don't fukin play around.

Quote Originally Posted by malcolm
    damn!putin don't fukin play around.
    It'd be WW3. The Russians wouldn't think twice about nuking Iran once the diplomats got out.

JT

No change to Putin Iran visit after reports of possible assassination bid

TEHRAN, (AFP) — There is no indication that Russian President Vladimir Putin will change his plan to visit Iran after reports of a possible assassination bid, his spokesman told reporters in Tehran on Monday.

"For the moment we have no information over a change of plan for the president," spokesman Dmitry Peskov said.

Iran's foreign ministry spokesman Mohammad Ali Hosseini said Putin was due to arrive in Tehran on Monday evening before attending a summit of Caspian Sea heads of state on Tuesday.

The name Ivanov.

JT

muslims around the world are not too happy with putin over the whole chechen war. the iranian govt. wouldn't necessarily have much say in the matter if a terrorist islamic faction decided to take their chances... i'm sure the iranian govt. doesn't want that.

This reminds me of the story of the Al Queda guy who was told to drive a truck to a bank i think it was?..but didnt know that there was a bomb on the truck..and so when it went off..and he lived..he vowed against Al Queda and is now working for the American Government with intel.

Quote Originally Posted by VoldtaEngler
    This reminds me of the story of the Al Queda guy who was told to drive a truck to a bank i think it was?..but didnt know that there was a bomb on the truck..and so when it went off..and he lived..he vowed against Al Queda and is now working for the American Government with intel.
    What is the similarity?

JT

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Friendly
    muslims around the world are not too happy with putin over the whole chechen war. the iranian govt. wouldn't necessarily have much say in the matter if a terrorist islamic faction decided to take their chances... i'm sure the iranian govt. doesn't want that.
    The Russians won't make those distinctions if he is whacked on Iranian soil.

JT

Quote Originally Posted by Jackie T.
    What is the similarity?

JT
    The russian roulette title really. It's like they played russian roulette. Nevermind..lol

well... maybe so, maybe no...

...why let the actions of irrational shitheads get in the way of bidness?

point is, the iranians won't be the ones planning to take a swing at ol' vlad, but there IS plenty of reason for him to be wary in an islamic country.... although i'm not sure how much of an independent presence groups like al-Q have got in such a totalitarian society as iran's. they're pretty humorless about shit like that over there.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Friendly
    well... maybe so, maybe no...

...why let the actions of irrational shitheads get in the way of bidness?

point is, the iranians won't be the ones planning to take a swing at ol' vlad, but there IS plenty of reason for him to be wary in an islamic country.... although i'm not sure how much of an independent presence groups like al-Q have got in such a totalitarian society as iran's. they're pretty humorless about shit like that over there.
    Yeah who knows? The active group in Iran actually is not associated with al-qaeda. They operate from the porous borders with Iraq. I just wish he'd stop fucking around like this. Putin is moderate for a Russian leader. I prefer him to the folks waiting in the eings. He will maintain power. They are switching to a parliamentary system with Putin as PM. I just want some stability. With Putin, you know what you're dealing with. Ivanov etc = hotheads.

JT

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

oh well, just have to wait and see

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Karl
    oh well, just have to wait and see
    Yeah. It would just suck if someone destabilizes Russia now. My guys control all three branches of the Ukrainian Govt. now. Putin is willing to cut deals with them. Some of his cohorts are not. I'd just as soon he stay in power for 20-30 years. He doesn't like democracy in Ukraine, but he will accept it.

JT

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

well russias been pretty quiet lately.....when countries are quiet it usually means they have a good leader

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Karl
    well russias been pretty quiet lately.....when countries are quiet it usually means they have a good leader
    Things are going as well in Russia as they can be (given the demographic and recent economic crisis) Putin has been good for Russia. His approval rating is 75-80%. I'd like things to stay as they are over there. They still try to exert power over their neighbors, but it is workable under Putin.

JT

+ Reply to Thread