+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Can metallica's ego's get any bigger???

Dead_Fukin_Last's Avatar Member

Default Can metallica's ego's get any bigger???

Does anyone really care enough to see this movie they have going on?
    Can they be any more corporate?

postcoital's Avatar Curiously Strong Altoid

Default Re: Can metallica's ego's get any bigger???

I never actually liked Metallica at all.. in the past, some people were like, "omg, they're the gods of metal", and I said "no thank you, I'll stick with Tankard and Slayer, and then they cut their hair and were on tv all the time and everyone was like "omg, they're the true gods of metal", and I said "well hello there, they don't play any better than Manowar still, and they even burn off their faces in their own pyroshow", but no one listens to me, but I'm used to that. *shrug*
    Movie? What movie?

memorydream's Avatar Sage

It may be one of those classic bombs. Except for NPR, everyone says it sucks really bad. I thought it was funny how a critic on NPR said it was like Spinal Tap, but not funny. It might be funny to watch because of that, but I doubt I will.

Caligula's Avatar Senior Member

I think Metallica get more than their fair share of shit. I'm not tempted to see the movie, but I don't fault them for making it. There are a lot of bands way ahead of Metallica in the exploiting the fans stakes. Including Slayer, Sabbath and Maiden - which are all good bands, but have repackaged the same material several times too often. Speaking of Slayer, I think it's rank hypocrisy to have Tom Araya spouting about God when he's made a fortune exploiting the devil.

Quote Originally Posted by Caligula
    I think Metallica get more than their fair share of shit. I'm not tempted to see the movie, but I don't fault them for making it. There are a lot of bands way ahead of Metallica in the exploiting the fans stakes. Including Slayer, Sabbath and Maiden - which are all good bands, but have repackaged the same material several times too often. Speaking of Slayer, I think it's rank hypocrisy to have Tom Araya spouting about God when he's made a fortune exploiting the devil.
    Christians exploit the devil and make a lot, Japanimation exploits female sexuality and makes a load? I don't mean to be disrespectful, but so? As I said, I grew up listening to Metallica, Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath, Slayer, Megadeth, Anthrax, Testament, Suicidal Tendencies and all the rest. They were the places to start to help me in exploring myself and my mind. When I found myself tired or getting no more from those bands, I left it, and went somewhere else.

Mother Superior

I think they realize the bank accounts are beginning to dwindle. I liked some of the early 80's Metallica stuff, but was never a fan. My brother is and he went to see the film in Texas on Friday, he said it was good. I wouldn't pay to see some grown men whining about their issues and hurt feelings, not that there is anything inherently wrong with being hurt or upset whatever sex you are, but this should be discussed in private. It's so obvious it's being done for publicity . The Tom Araya thing, I will never understand, but he has made his money. The bottom line is "evil" sells just as anything with "Satanism" acrossed it will.

Caligula's Avatar Senior Member

As I said before, I enjoy all of the bands I mentioned. I just think it shows a certain contempt for the folk who've put you there in the first place to continually issue compilation after compilation and three different versions of every damn single in order to screw those last few bucks out of the completists and collectors. Nobody makes anyone buy this stuff with a gun to their heads I guess, it just seems a bit grasping and cheap. Like Ozzy making a big deal about playing the UK Sabbath reunion gigs 'for the fans', then cancelling at the last minute when he gets a better offer from American TV. The guy's a running joke these days, and as a longtime fan I think that's a little sad.

I know it's fashionable to knock Metallica these days - not least because of the whole Napster thing (which is a whole other can of worms). But at least they've taken a few chances, even if a lot of them didn't come off, unlike many other bands who've played safe and largely stuck to winning formulas.

As for the Slayer selling Satanism thing. It's no big deal, but have we all become that cynical that hypocrisy's no longer even an issue? Mebbe, but if so, I think that's a little sad too.

I gave up metal in about '94. I try to support independent music, regardless of the type. But, mainstream music in any particular popular mode/genre/"music"/whatever, always dies like a dodo sometime. Big band music did it, folk rock, punk movements, calyposo, old time American country and rockabilly, even many traditional forms of music like much of what was in Polynesia in the 20s and prior. Then, they do their endless reunion tours. I went to see the Glen Miller Orchestra and all the original members were dead, only a few from the 3rd set of guys was alive and they played mostly Benny Goodman and Duke Ellington songs. Now Metallica wants to play Bob Seger and more obscure early metal stuff? C'mon, if Hetfeild and Ulrich died in that crash that killed Burton, right after Master of Puppets, they would have Nirvana, Doors or Hendrix status.

By the way, that's just emotions talking, and opinion.

Jasperino's Avatar Senior Member

[QUOTE=memorydream] if Hetfeild and Ulrich died in that crash that killed Burton, right after Master of Puppets, they would have Nirvana, Doors or Hendrix status.

How true. Things might have been better that way. How do you go from being at the top of a musical genre to being sellout wannabe's of the same genre? It sucks.

hey if it mmakes money they accomplished what they wanted...i dont preferably like them but some do..i'm not one to bash someones success

Same place but I have been just about everywhere inbetween

they need to go back to doing acid and booze and if that's what they need to be the once decent bancd they were...they were never good to begin with then

hewhoisagod's Avatar Captain Obvious

as their egos get bigger......... there crowds get smaller......... two tours ago they sold out the biggest venue here.........last tour they didn't sell out the 3 largest venue here

Quote Originally Posted by bleedingaway
    hey if it mmakes money they accomplished what they wanted...i dont preferably like them but some do..i'm not one to bash someones success
    Not to be crass, but how do you know what "they" wanted? A long time ago, years ago, last year or yesterday? Some musicians actually become what they don't want to be.

SUSIEQ502's Avatar Senior Member

I am going to confess to this computer screen and to all those who look upon their screens...
    I have a Metallica tattoo, which I got when I was 15.
    I LIKE my Metallica tattoo.
    Metallica was taken around the days of And Justice for All... and (like Bill and Ted in their Bogus journey) replaced with evil robots.
    Now that you know I'll never bring it up again.

Quote Originally Posted by SUSIEQ502
    I am going to confess to this computer screen and to all those who look upon their screens...
    I have a Metallica tattoo, which I got when I was 15.
    I LIKE my Metallica tattoo.
    Metallica was taken around the days of And Justice for All... and (like Bill and Ted in their Bogus journey) replaced with evil robots.
    Now that you know I'll never bring it up again.
    I know some chick who got a Marilyn Manson tattoo about five years ago, and she regrets it to no end.
    I have a Deadline tattoo on my neck tho, but I don't care, actually.

Quote Originally Posted by postcoital
    I know some chick who got a Marilyn Manson tattoo about five years ago, and she regrets it to no end.
    I have a Deadline tattoo on my neck tho, but I don't care, actually.
    I dunno, that's free ad space for a band, they can suck my cock and pay a fat million if I'm going to do shit like that!
    (I'm just kidding, and being vulgar.)
    Last edited by memorydream; 08-16-2004 at 09:02 PM. Reason: I was kidding, not kinding.

You can suck mine, and I'll tattoo smurfette onto your forehead ,)

You can suck mine, and I'll tattoo smurfette onto your forehead ,)
    Well, I've already got Handy on my cock, so when I bend over to blow myself it'll be a good match, eh?

Kind of. I like the idea that smurfette is made out of mud. Can someone say dirrr'tay?

Kind of. I like the idea that smurfette is made out of mud. Can someone say dirrr'tay?
    Smellin' like a backwoods swamp. I wonder why Peyo did that? Of course it ultimately meant another Gargamel fuck up, didn't it?

Gothickitty's Avatar Meow, Listen to me Purrrr

sadly enough I would watch it

Quote Originally Posted by Gothickitty
    sadly enough I would watch it
    There's nothing wrong with that. Being curious with those we hold in high regard can be very informative and educational about who we are and what we appreciate.

Same place but I have been just about everywhere inbetween

hence one rule I made wehn i get tattoos do NOT get Band tattoos no matter how much you love them....

graecona's Avatar Member

i actually like metallica.....i don't know why....

I still do too. Only they forget to like me back. I agree...no band tattoo is a good tattoo. I think that a Smurfette penis would bite you, she's spunky. "Take me back inside before I smurf you bloody"

Why do people think Smurfette is so tough? I mean Sassette was, but I just don't get it. That's like saying Betty kicks ass, that's Veronica's job isn't it? I mean Race Bannon is the one who's savin' the boys, not Doctor Quest, we all know that.

Smurfette has the bitch power of a WHOLE village of Smurfs' sexual frustration. Forget about blue balls...these dudes are head to toe horny!!! She's got it like that.

Histrionica's Avatar Hardhearted Hellion

I mostly like their old stuff - but i try to separate the music from their personalities because to me they are absolutely insufferable assholes.

I love their version of "Whiskey in the Jar", i must admit.

~Histrionica~

Smurfette has the bitch power of a WHOLE village of Smurfs' sexual frustration. Forget about blue balls...these dudes are head to toe horny!!! She's got it like that.
    I don't know. With guys like Handy, Hefty, Sleepy, Painter, Tailor, Poet and Greedy? I think she's livin' with some "in the closet" types. I mean after all they're all obsessed with the gifts they give to her and how good her dress looks. I think it's a village of "hair dressers" and "fashion consultants." It may be the root of why they're all so "go team" and "smurf proud".

Quote Originally Posted by memorydream
    I don't know. With guys like Handy, Hefty, Sleepy, Painter, Tailor, Poet and Greedy? I think she's livin' with some "in the closet" types. I mean after all they're all obsessed with the gifts they give to her and how good her dress looks. I think it's a village of "hair dressers" and "fashion consultants." It may be the root of why they're all so "go team" and "smurf proud".
    Heh-heh-heh. And don't forget Vanity Smurf.

~Histrionica~

I hope you all remember that though we are talking about Smurfs, this is a thread discussing Metallica (even though Hammett does kind of look like one and is Bi supposedly).

Hammett likes girls?

~Histrionica~

Need I say I will talk NO shit of anyone, I am a marked woman...
    If I had some sort of shame it would be an awful thing

Quote Originally Posted by Histrionica
    Hammett likes girls?
    ~Histrionica~
    Well, let's just say he "likes" people. He plays switch hitter.

Need I say I will talk NO shit of anyone, I am a marked woman...
    If I had some sort of shame it would be an awful thing
    Huh and Wha?

Quote Originally Posted by memorydream
    Huh and Wha?
    I was referring to the female who also had a band name tattooed. For the love of a god! Can't you just let me live a normal life? Why can't I leave the past behind me? Must you drag my skeletons out of the closet?

Just Kiddin' if my skeletons come out it's because I want you to play with them with me!

+ Reply to Thread