+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Music Makes The Man?

J. Babington's Avatar Wanderer Of The Internet

Default Music Makes The Man?

I was having an interesting conversation with my dad today and we got on the subject of music.
    Now as the title says does music define us, the way we think and feel or is it something just like.Or is their more?

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

Default Re: Music Makes The Man?

well you can tell a lot about a person by how they take thier music. ther are belief systems built around the universe starting with sound. some people are defined by music some people define music.

well, enough thinking of that......................down that road lies madness

Bikerpunk's Avatar Ill-intentioned bad apple

The day something as trivial and packaged as clothing or music defines me, I'll kill myself.

Black Spiral Dancer's Avatar RedHead Admirer Supreme!

My musical taste is wide and varied. But the music I like to dance to usually strong emotions involved, be it anger, sadness, happiness, whatever.

Dusk's Avatar Senior Member

Most people woudnt pick me as a metal head.
    My tastes in music are large, everything from metal to country to darkwave, It depends on my mood, but I do not dance any more.
    I did for a while to work on my agility so I can walk through a crowd without the whole touching issue.

Bacchus88's Avatar Senior Member

In the US, what defines this culture is that biker. Culture of image and flip of collars. pfffffttt crap... I am me nothing more nothing less... My musical taste cover wide range from, zedico, outlaw country, bluegrass, Celtic, bagpipes.. they jump more into my own world industrial harsh EBM, ebm, down right trance, darkwave death metal, black, what people classic as gothic... the Dance metal of rammstin , oomph Tranmetal... Viking folk metal that, so to love flogging molly...

Dusk me you are on the same page here. No would even dream that listen to death,black,speed whatever..metal nor would think of me listen to harsh industrial, EBM darkwave.

One Eyed Cat's Avatar Senior Member

I've found having eclectic tastes in music (overall) does help me relate to a wider range of people. It doesn't make me. It does give me an edge when people watching and conver-ma-sating out and about. I believe music is important. At its best, it speaks to the soul.

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

The music industry doesn't own me.

that is for the tobacco companies.

One Eyed Cat's Avatar Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Morning Glory
    The music industry doesn't own me.

that is for the tobacco companies.
    The "music industry" may well have destroyed the business of music. Music itself cannot be owned. It's universal to the human experience. I pick up my acoustic .... fucked if I know that anyone wants to hear it .... I enjoy it.

Buy my tobacco off the reservations personally. Savings of 750-1000%. My native brothers and sisters can do as they wish. Send me the wholesale cancer sticks.

J. Babington's Avatar Wanderer Of The Internet

I myself am not defined by music but i can relate to the feelings in the songs, and dance to what feels right,I like Metal,prog metal,techno,trance,celtic, and most sound tracks to video games (awe the ambient rpg music^^).

mystoo's Avatar Pirate Hooker

I don't think music defines a person. What it does for me though is keep me from going insane. It takes me away from everything, and when I'm dancing don't even bother me b/c I'm not really there.

Head Wreck's Avatar Dai the Llama

i like good music.

i cant seem to get into bad music

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

Quote Originally Posted by One Eyed Cat
    The "music industry" may well have destroyed the business of music. Music itself cannot be owned. It's universal to the human experience. I pick up my acoustic .... fucked if I know that anyone wants to hear it .... I enjoy it.

Buy my tobacco off the reservations personally. Savings of 750-1000%. My native brothers and sisters can do as they wish. Send me the wholesale cancer sticks.
    actually I don't smoke. I felt the need to be facetious for some reason in that post.

sounds like you got a plan.

I'd like to learn to play a bit, so that if I'm trapped on a deserted island or if society collapses, or I guess if I just get bored, I can entertain myself.

Bacchus88's Avatar Senior Member

stopping listen to music with political edge to it.. draws me into and yeah yeah wait no! then back off it..

aXa's Avatar Senior Member

to be honest, i dont feel like i had fully developed as a person until i became exposed to the music that existed "outside the box" of the small town i lived in while growing up. my first inklings of independent thought and having an identity i could call my own soon followed. but it wasnt just the music i was being exposed to: it was the culture, the art, the thoughts and beliefs that those outside the norm held. it was a part of growing up, in my late teens, that really influenced who i am today. they did not 'define me' as a person though; just were strong influences.

nowadays, i use musical tastes to gauge what i might have in common with other people. its just like a tip of an iceberg thing though - a way to break the ice.

jonny.illuminati's Avatar hasn't slept for days

i believe that music influences people. for some people that might mean music can define them and those they surround themselves with. for others it might be a mood thing... then for others, they might possible become defined by their hatred of a particular musical genre... so many possibilities. the world influences us through exposure to many things; we grow, form opinions, likes, and dislikes from our interaction with our surroundings.... sort of a mental Darwinism (evolution)... as we move to new places we are exposed to more, our horizons broaden or narrow. Italy had a profound effect on me as an 18 year old... then later Germany, Africa, Bosnia... and then multiple war zones and exposure to combat (in Iraq i had my ipod on with "mission music" playlists... heavy metal, rock, usually hard stuff... it helped me sort of disconnect from the insanity)

Dishuman's Avatar Member

People should never judge another by the music they hear but, you will get a REALLY GOOD idea of how they behave and act against certain situations.

I mean come on... Music does kinda defines a person.
    At least, it does to me, I mean someone who loves Lords of Acid as much as I do, HAS to love Sex and all it's baggage. That's a given since they only sing about sex, and even their live performances have sex all fucking over it.

episode allah's Avatar iconoclast

Having that list of 125 alt-bands on my user profile really makes me feel oh so unique.

+ Reply to Thread